T Nation

Strength Standards for Chins

Anyone wanna toss out some ideas for decent/good/great categories for weighted chins? Curious where my current 1rm of BW(180) +100lbs would sit.

How many clapping chinups can u do, with strick form(no swinging) ?

less than 1: train more
1-3: making progress
3-6: good
7-8: awesome
8-12: amazing
13-18: u are a beast
18+ (none exist so far)

Mine is currently 90lb at a similar bodyweight to you.

100lb is impressive compared to the average member of a commercial gym, but unless your goal is mediocrity, that is not who you should compare yourself to.

I would say 100lb = decent, 150lb = good and 200lb = great. These would all have to be done over a full ROM from a dead hang.

If the person weighed around 300lb, I would subtract 50lb from each number, ie 150lb = great.

How many clapping chinups can u do, with strick form(no swinging) ?

1, maybe 2 depending on how hard I hit my head (the chin bar is very close to the ceiling in my gym)

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1563264

Clapping chin-up? I’ve heard of clapping pull-up, but not chin-up. I would imagine there would be an added degree of difficulty switching from grip to clap.

[quote]mog16 wrote:
Anyone wanna toss out some ideas for decent/good/great categories for weighted chins? Curious where my current 1rm of BW(180) +100lbs would sit.[/quote]

In considering a good marker for chins I look at the strength ratio between this movement and bi-acromial grip flat bench press. The weight used on sup. grip chins should be appx. 87%. This is the standard I was taught as a Poliquin coach in terms of checking structural balance for optimal progress, strength and health.

I gotta work on my bench then, I’d have to add about 60 pounds to it to achieve that ratio.

[quote]laroyal wrote:
mog16 wrote:
Anyone wanna toss out some ideas for decent/good/great categories for weighted chins? Curious where my current 1rm of BW(180) +100lbs would sit.

In considering a good marker for chins I look at the strength ratio between this movement and bi-acromial grip flat bench press. The weight used on sup. grip chins should be appx. 87%. This is the standard I was taught as a Poliquin coach in terms of checking structural balance for optimal progress, strength and health.

[/quote]

As much as I agree with that , a higher chin up value relative to the bi-acromial/ 14" bench would be less of a problem then the other way around, considering the amount of chest heavy , slooping shoulders we see in gyms today, dont you agree?

From one of the strength standard articles I’ve read on here, I remember +135 for a triple to be a good indicator of ‘strong’. I don’t think bodyweight was accounted for with that lift.

[quote]Regular Gonzalez wrote:
Mine is currently 90lb at a similar bodyweight to you.

100lb is impressive compared to the average member of a commercial gym, but unless your goal is mediocrity, that is not who you should compare yourself to.

I would say 100lb = decent, 150lb = good and 200lb = great. These would all have to be done over a full ROM from a dead hang.

If the person weighed around 300lb, I would subtract 50lb from each number, ie 150lb = great.

[/quote]

450 lb chin/pull up that’s fucking unhuman. Think about how tough it is to DL 450 (most I ever got off was 435. I know some pol have me beat I’m not braggi g ) and that’s using your entire body never mind bi’s and upper back (good technique)

I’d like to see a 1 arm chin from a T-Nation member.

a friend in my gym knocks out sets of 8 with 60kg attachted to the waist at a body weight of 65kg