T Nation

Strength Standards for 5/3/1?

For a beginner most programs go on:

Squat: 140kgx1
Deadlift: 180kgx1
Bench: 100kgx1

I can't find anything concrete about the press but I was working on the basis of 60kg being the beginner standard.

Is it any different for 5/3/1 or not?

BBB as Assistance on Beginner Programs?
What days?
i.e, BBB squats after 5/3/1 squat days or on deadlift or bench day?

Do you mean a strength standard before starting a program like 5/3/1?

If not, that's impossible to answer as standards are relative to age/weight/experience.

I don't understand the meaning of the question are you suggesting that you have to be able to lift x amount of weight before being able to use the 5/3/1 program ?

I'm not sure what you mean either. For "Average to Athlete" standards, I created standards for the following:

Squat
Deadlift
Press
Bench Press
Chin-ups/Pull-ups
300 yard shuttle
Prowler
1 mile run
Air Dyne
Box Jump
Standing Long Jump

I did this to give people a more complete training program, not just what you lift in the weight room. Having strength standards is great but it will only bring you so far. I believe one should be a bit more well rounded.

I'm confused why what program you're on would influence what you consider to be strong?

I believe the OP is asking is does a lifter have to meet a prerequisite amount of strength/experience before starting a 5/3/1 program?

There seems to be a lot of crap out there that regards 5/3/1 as only worth doing, or only effective if you're an "intermediate or advanced" lifter. For what it's worth, I switched over when I had loads of potential linear progression left, and have had a lot of success with it. I really don't see any kind of strength standards applying to it.

If you switch when you could still be on an LP/peaking type program it just means you can progress more cycles before stalling and resetting. A lot of people seem to think it will stunt their lifting career if they don't stay on Starting Strength or Texas Method for as long as humanly possible... I think this is really only the case if you're going to lift for a year and then quit, rather than look at the big picture and plan on lifting long term. Don't worry about strength standards, there are no minimums necessary for this stuff to work.

Strength standards, be as strong as you can be. There really are no standards. There will always be some stronger or faster, but you might be better than thst person in something else. Just concentrate on being the best you you can be. Besides, with the obesity epidemic out there you already stronger than many.

Sure hope not! 57 years old been doing 5/3/1 consistently for 5 months. Numbers keep going up. FWIW, I believe that you have to have your own goals or standards to shoot for. You'll get the satisfaction when you reach what YOU have been shooting for.

Some sage advice right here.