T Nation

Strength Skill Circuit Method

Hey CT,
Just have a few questions before I start the strength skill circuit method program from thibarmy…

Questions-

1. Should I set out the week like this: Monday- Back Squat, Bench Press, Hang Power Cleans, Hypertrophy Work

Tuesday- Deadlift, Military Press, Hang Snatch, Hypertrophy Work

Wednesday- Back Squat, Bench Press, Hang Power Clean, Hypertrophy Work

Thursday- Deadlift, Military Press, Hang Snatch, Hypertrophy Work

Friday- Back Squat, Bench Press, Hang Power Clean, Hypertrophy Work

Saturday- Deadlift, Military Press, Hang Snatch, Hypertrophy Work

Sunday-Off

2.How should I sort out my hypertrophy work for lagging muscles in terms of frequency for a muscle each week… 2 or 3 times a week? (3 times a week like ‘best damn natural program’) or (2 times every 8 days)… thoughts?

3.For the hypertrophy work, how should i implement intensity methods (assisted reps, rest pause) over each progression phase? What strategy should I use here?

4.On the Hang Power Clean and Hang Snatch, what position should I be in on the catch? More of a half Squat position or full Squat position?

5.For the Military Press, can I do the standing Behind the Neck Press?

Thanks a lot for the help, really appreciate it and can’t wait to get started on this program…

PK

You might want to start at 4x a week first and if after 2 weeks your body is handling it well you can bump it up to 5 or 6

First, with this approach you do MINIMAL hypertrophy work. Those who screw up and tank, do so because they go overboard on the hypertrophy work. 1 or 2 exercises In a session MAXIMUM. And oftentimes I didn’t do any isolation work at all.

I simply suggest your 2 lagging muscles and doing 1 exercise for them 2-3x a week each (alternating days). Trying to do everything at once is the best way to not get results.

No need for a strategy. Really it’s only about creating local fatigue in the target muscle. You can change technique at every session as long as you create maximum fatigue in that muscle (in as few sets as possible).

“Power” means a half squat catch. If it were in a full squat position I would simply write “clean/snatch” OR “squat clean/squat snatch”

You can use any exercise you want to emphasize.

I just started a week ago, and would recommend sticking with cable exercises for the assistance work. If you find you have a bunch of extra energy after 24 sets at 85%, do loaded carries and sprints. You can reduce your rest periods also to up the intensity.

Thanks CT that all makes sense… I was only going to do Biceps and Triceps as my lagging muscles (maybe a chest exercise if feeling good on the day).

For arms ill do triceps on Back Squat, Bench Press and Hang Power Clean day and do biceps on Deadlift, Military Press, Hang Snatch day, that work?

What different intensity strategies can I implement that are best for arms, or should I just do normal 1 set to failure 6-10 reps? (Example- Day 1 heavy 6-8 failure, Day 2 6-8 failure drop set 2-3 reps, Day 3 some type of isometric strategy implemented into 6-8 set to failure), could that work?

Also you have 2 progression strategies, one for training 6 days and week and one for training 4 days a week.

Am I best to do the 6 days a week progression model but start with 4x a week and bump up to 6 days if feeling good after a couple weeks?

Should I start off at 2/on 1/off for the first couple weeks?

Thanks again for the help,
PK

Arms respond best to “mind-muscle connection” technique… constant tension, slow reps, partial + full reps, full reps + iso holds, tempo contrast, etc. Which one you use really doesn’t matter (it really doesn’t) as long as you feel a strong muscle contraction and go to failure

Yes, it’s always best to start more conservative and work your way up if you feel good rather than start too intense and have to cut back and try to fix fatigue symptoms

Fantastic, again appreciate the help with this cant wait to get started (slowly)

Just on what you said on arms:
‘Arms respond best to “mind-muscle connection” technique… constant tension, slow reps, partial + full reps, full reps + iso holds, tempo contrast, etc. Which one you use really doesn’t matter (it really doesn’t) as long as you feel a strong muscle contraction and go to failure’

Could you supply some techniques that I can keep up my sleeve to use when hitting either biceps or triceps. For instance how could I implement iso hold method into a working set?

Thanks again for the help,
PK

There about a zillion ways to include pauses.

Pre-set: start by holding the position of greatest tension for 15-20 seconds then do your reps

Post-set: do your reps to failure or close to it and then hold the position of max tension for as long as you can

Intra-set: Include a 3 sec pause at the position of max tension during the eccentric of each rep

Iso-dynamic contrast: hold max tension position 20 sec, do 3 reps, hold 15 sec, do 3 repos, hold 10 sec, do 3 reps

Ok great Ill give them a shot

Thanks again for the help
PK