Strength Ratio

are there any studies/suggestions that say that the bench press/squats/deads/clean and press(es) must be at a certain ratio to one another in terms of the weight lifted?

as in, you bench press 200lbs, therefore your squat/dead/c&p must be this/this/this?

thanks lifters.

I think it’s something like:

Bench: 1.5 X BW
Squat 2 X BW
Dead 2.5 X BW

[quote]Noodle_Arms wrote:

Squat 2 X BW
Dead 2.5 X BW[/quote]

These IMO are a good indicator of a strong base something everyone should shoot for but the ratio its very dependent on bodyu type. Limb length etc. For example a LONG armed AWESOME DLer may reach that 2.5 DL way before hitting that 1.5 bench

Phill

I’ve always heard that a 3:4:5 bench:squat:deadlift ratio is pretty optimal.

So yes, 1.5x,2x,2.5x is the same.

That would put a 200lb bench at 266lb squat and 333lb deadlift.

[quote]Phill wrote:
Noodle_Arms wrote:

Squat 2 X BW
Dead 2.5 X BW

These IMO are a good indicator of a strong base something everyone should shoot for but the ratio its very dependent on bodyu type. Limb length etc. For example a LONG armed AWESOME DLer may reach that 2.5 DL way before hitting that 1.5 bench

Phill

[/quote]

Haha! Right on, Phill. Bob Peoples lifted 4 X BW in the deadlift, but could barely bench more than BW.

PS This also is distorted by the use of gear in powerlifting. For example, quite a few lifters squat over 1000lb these days, but I doubt if any of them are ever going to deadlift 1250. Similarly, Gene Rychlak (sp?) has benched over 1000, but he sure isn’t going to squat 1300 or deadlift 1600 any time soon.

[quote]sharetrader wrote:
PS This also is distorted by the use of gear in powerlifting. For example, quite a few lifters squat over 1000lb these days, but I doubt if any of them are ever going to deadlift 1250. Similarly, Gene Rychlak (sp?) has benched over 1000, but he sure isn’t going to squat 1300 or deadlift 1600 any time soon.[/quote]

Yes but like you said you know most of that is done in gear. I think those numbers and ratios listed above are for “raw” full range movements. Gear and certain powerlifting technques clearly distorts perceived levels of strength.

Besides you must know Gene is no where near that strength totally raw. I’ve lifted in IPA several times over the past few years, and seen Gene lift a few times. He usually stops his warmups at around 3 maybe 4 plates and then the shirt goes on.

He is also a very nice guy and will talk to anybody about lifting, etc.

[quote]greekdawg wrote:

Yes but like you said you know most of that is done in gear. I think those numbers and ratios listed above are for “raw” full range movements.
[/quote]

Absolutely agree. Just pointing out that these ratios can’t be applied to powerlifting, even though they are for the 3 powerlifting lifts.

hmmm… alrite. thanx to everyone for their answers!