T Nation

Strength Program/Routine Development

Hello as im still relativly as newbie to this i have no idea how to create a routine to gain maximal strength. Well i know the exercises to do such as the important compounds etc and to work between 85-100% of your 1RPM.

But i dont know how to divide the exercises between say three days and what rep strategies to use there seem to be so many different ways. How do you know what exercises to put on each day.

Anyhelp is greatly appreciated.

It’s not too hard to set up a program like that. This is what I’ve been doing, and it works well.

Day 1:
Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Row 5x5
Standing calf raises 3x5
Hanging leg raises 4 x AMRAP (as many reps as possible)

Day 2:
Power Cleans 5x5
Weighted Chins (or pullups) 5x5
Standing overhead presses 5x5
Barbell curls 3x5
Russian twists 3xAMRAP

Day 3:
Deadlifts 5x5
Power shrugs 5x5
Close-grip bench 5x5
EZ bar Reverse curls 3x5
Swiss ball crunches 3xAMRAP

Other programs I’d suggest checking out include Dan John’s “One Lift A Day” program, CT’s “Easy Hardgainers II” and CW’s “Strength Focused Mesocycle.” I made very good gains on CW’s SFM program several months ago, and it’s easy to follow and definitely works.

Good luck!

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
It’s not too hard to set up a program like that. This is what I’ve been doing, and it works well.

Day 1:
Squat 5x5
Bench 5x5
Row 5x5
Standing calf raises 3x5
Hanging leg raises 4 x AMRAP (as many reps as possible)

Day 2:
Power Cleans 5x5
Weighted Chins (or pullups) 5x5
Standing overhead presses 5x5
Barbell curls 3x5
Russian twists 3xAMRAP

Day 3:
Deadlifts 5x5
Power shrugs 5x5
Close-grip bench 5x5
EZ bar Reverse curls 3x5
Swiss ball crunches 3xAMRAP

Other programs I’d suggest checking out include Dan John’s “One Lift A Day” program, CT’s “Easy Hardgainers II” and CW’s “Strength Focused Mesocycle.” I made very good gains on CW’s SFM program several months ago, and it’s easy to follow and definitely works.

Good luck![/quote]

Thanks for the help their Nate Dogg much appreciated and i will use that as a start for my program. One last question how do you know what exercises to put on each day or is it just randomised.

And again thanks mate

As far as the program I set up for myself, I placed the exercises in a certain order/day according to several things:

First, I wanted to make sure that I was working legs twice a week (one day quad dominant, one day hamstring dominant). Thus, the reason I chose to squat on Monday and Deadlift on Friday. The power cleans also hit the legs and posterior chain on Wed, but not as much as the other days. Also, I’ll rotate exercises on Wed for legs every few weeks (lunges, front squats, etc.).

Second, I wanted to be able to structure my upper body training according to movement patterns. Thus, the reason that I bench and row on Monday (horizontal push/pull) and then do chins and standing overhead presses on Wed (vertical pull/push).

Third, I wanted to hit arms more than once since they’ve been a week point for me. Thus, the reason I do barbell curls on Wed and reverse curls on Fri and the close-grip benches on Fri as well.

Fourth, I wanted to hit abs a few times a week going through the major areas of the core (lower abs - Monday; upper abs - Wed.; Obliques - Fri. - I think that’s how I have it listed!).

Fifth, I wanted to try to work the whole body each day. Thus the reason that I chose all those compound exercises and structured them like I did throughout the week.

So now you know how I came to the particular setup that I did.

Check out SFM by CW. It’s a very good program and structured in a similar fashion (full-body workouts, three times a week).

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
As far as the program I set up for myself, I placed the exercises in a certain order/day according to several things:

First, I wanted to make sure that I was working legs twice a week (one day quad dominant, one day hamstring dominant). Thus, the reason I chose to squat on Monday and Deadlift on Friday. The power cleans also hit the legs and posterior chain on Wed, but not as much as the other days. Also, I’ll rotate exercises on Wed for legs every few weeks (lunges, front squats, etc.).

Second, I wanted to be able to structure my upper body training according to movement patterns. Thus, the reason that I bench and row on Monday (horizontal push/pull) and then do chins and standing overhead presses on Wed (vertical pull/push).

Third, I wanted to hit arms more than once since they’ve been a week point for me. Thus, the reason I do barbell curls on Wed and reverse curls on Fri and the close-grip benches on Fri as well.

Fourth, I wanted to hit abs a few times a week going through the major areas of the core (lower abs - Monday; upper abs - Wed.; Obliques - Fri. - I think that’s how I have it listed!).

Fifth, I wanted to try to work the whole body each day. Thus the reason that I chose all those compound exercises and structured them like I did throughout the week.

So now you know how I came to the particular setup that I did.

Check out SFM by CW. It’s a very good program and structured in a similar fashion (full-body workouts, three times a week).[/quote]

Mate you have been a superoir help to me and what a great post by the way. Thanks again for all your help.

I’m not trying to rain on that routine or anything. But after taking CW’s advice and using 3x3 I’ve found that strength gains come alot faster. 5x5= 25 which seems more like a rep scheme for hypertrophy. I use 3x3 with 95% of my 1RM, and gains come alot quicker.

Cool info, Nate, I’m going to check out SFM for myself.

ChrisS - You might want to check out “Program Design 101 - Screw the Gurus! Make Your Own Training Programs!” by Mike Robertson
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459411

to better understand this topic in general. Good luck!

I using the SFM now (I’m in my 3rd week) and it’s working great.

Different rep schemes can work differently with different people, that’s why you usually get a range of reps to use.

The SFM is not stricly sets of 3.
Following CW’s advice would mean you have a day of 3 sets of 3 with your 5RM and another day of 3 sets of 5 with your 7RM and another day of 3 sets of 8 with your 10RM.

There are a lot of strength templates here and some are for strength/muscle gain and others are for strength/fat loss or minimal weight gain.

[quote]GriffinC wrote:
I’m not trying to rain on that routine or anything. But after taking CW’s advice and using 3x3 I’ve found that strength gains come alot faster. 5x5= 25 which seems more like a rep scheme for hypertrophy. I use 3x3 with 95% of my 1RM, and gains come alot quicker.[/quote]

You’re right. If maximal strength is the goal then a total of 9-15 reps per bodypart is all you need (3x3; 3x5; 5x3; 4x3; 3x4). Check out SFM for a good example of a CW program like that.

I put in my own rep ranges because I’m trying to keep volume and intensity high enough to elicit strength and size. However, the basic template and exercises can still be used, only the set/rep parameters need to be changed for maximal strength.

You can also look at his Hybrid Hypertrophy program its a wonderful program and I made some pretty decent strenght and size gains from it!

[quote]Snoop wrote:
You can also look at his Hybrid Hypertrophy program its a wonderful program and I made some pretty decent strenght and size gains from it![/quote]

Ill change the reps mates as i only want to train for maximal strength gains as im a boxer nt wantin to move up many weight clasees.