Strength Program for Goruck Challenge

Greetings CT. I have been a long time user of your programs and the results have been fantastic. A thousand Thank Yous for that.

I have signed up for a Goruck Challenge which is a 10 mile event carrying a 30lb.+ rucksack. Besides cals and heavy rucking, which one of your programs would you suggest to help with the back and leg strenght needed for such an event? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again.

[quote]armpit wrote:
Greetings CT. I have been a long time user of your programs and the results have been fantastic. A thousand Thank Yous for that.

I have signed up for a Goruck Challenge which is a 10 mile event carrying a 30lb.+ rucksack. Besides cals and heavy rucking, which one of your programs would you suggest to help with the back and leg strenght needed for such an event? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again.[/quote]

The Build for Bad complexes but using sets of 10-8-6-4-2 instead of 5-4-3-2-1… I would also end the workouts with heavy loaded carries (farmer’s walk, overhead barbell walk, Zercher/bar in crook of elbows style carries)… 10 minutes total time, covering as much distance as possible, resting when needed.

Thanks again CT, going to put it into use in about an hour.

Hey CT,

Bumping this because I’m also training for Goruck. For the modified reps you suggested, what percentages should we use? Just half what you prescribed for the regular program or more?

[quote]Invictus41 wrote:
Hey CT,

Bumping this because I’m also training for Goruck. For the modified reps you suggested, what percentages should we use? Just half what you prescribed for the regular program or more?
[/quote]

65% x 10, 70% x 8, 75% x 6, 80% x 4, 85% x 2

Thanks! Looking forward to this

Just wanted to do a quick check in to let anyone who’s curious know how this modified built for bad program has gone so far.

In a few words, extremely well. I was very pleasantly surprised that the nervous system activation overcoming muscle fatigue kicked in after the circuit of 6 reps (which makes sense since it occurs after the circuit of 3 in the regular program.) I was under the impression that training for GORUCK, which is mostly strength-endurance based, was going to leave me dragging and fatigued after training.

Instead, I left feeling like I could do the whole workout again. Would strongly recommend this program modification to anyone training for GORUCK or any similar event.

Could one use the original Built for Bad rep scheme from the heavy days (85% x 5, 87.5% x 4, 90% x 3, 95% x 2, and 100% x 1) three days a week, and intersperse the higher volume version (65% x 10, 70% x 8, 75% x 6, 80% x 4, 85% x 2 ) on the other two days? So, for example do the heavy days M, W, and F, and on Tu, Th use the 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 reps and percentages? Or would this be ‘Frankenstein-ing’ the program? I’m just wondering if using both versions would help both strength and endurance to a greater degree than either rep scheme alone.

[quote]Phadrues wrote:
Could one use the original Built for Bad rep scheme from the heavy days (85% x 5, 87.5% x 4, 90% x 3, 95% x 2, and 100% x 1) three days a week, and intersperse the higher volume version (65% x 10, 70% x 8, 75% x 6, 80% x 4, 85% x 2 ) on the other two days? So, for example do the heavy days M, W, and F, and on Tu, Th use the 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 reps and percentages? Or would this be ‘Frankenstein-ing’ the program? I’m just wondering if using both versions would help both strength and endurance to a greater degree than either rep scheme alone.[/quote]

The idea is fine, but you will have to go a bit lighter on the heavy days… 5-7% lighter