Strength, Power, and the 1000lb Club

I’m sort of of the opinion that your program tries to do too much at once. I think you’re better off taking advantage of your seasons and setting goals for blocks of say, 4-6 weeks.

Otherwise you end up chasing too many rabbits.

e.g I don’t find I can add much to my squat if I’m playing a sport that requires a lot of running. When I get a break between seasons I go hard on squat and let everything else take a back seat. Then, as my next season approaches I ramp up the cardio again.

Evaluate your weak point at the beginning of each block and put something to fix it first in your program, re-assess at the beginning of your next block.

When you play competitive sports you get a pretty good idea of when you’ll do what. I know I’ve got a PL meet in March, then rugby soon after that. I can plan what I need to do around those seasons. Strength, speed, injury prevention, rehab, body weight - all get planned out.

[quote]a soggy waffle wrote:
Airtruth wrote:
Are you doing any field or skill work? Games sports or something?

im sorry i dont understand what your asking, are you refering to keeping up my lacrosse skills?[/quote]

Yes and no. I mean skills that are used on the field, like sprinting, jumping, reacting, cutting. Training these skills are very underrated and are the reason many athletes who just play multiple sports throughout the year still end up stronger and better athletes then those that just sit back and lift weights. If you are not training them specifically, they can still be trained by playing other sports. So what I meant was do you play pick-up in any sports during the week, or if you don’t then do you go to the track and sprint, or work on other athletic skills?

hah ya you guys are probably right. I think i will just leave the 1000lbs for the summer or next fall. As for field work i do play indoor lacrosse once a week but besides that my work is limited. I dont think i would have a place to sprint though i was planning on doing some HIIT in the early spring once the snow cleared up. For now i should figure something out but thats not really for this forum, thanks for the help guys.