T Nation

Strength, Power, and the 1000lb Club

Hey this is a program im thinking of starting. I am 17 years old, 6’1" and 200lbs. I had done a 5x5 in the fall and started doing a 3x8 but i need to tweak it because it had me squatting and deadlifting on the same day and that was starting to make the other days seem a little to easy hah. My new split will devote one day to each of the “power 3” for the 1000lb club.

My problem is that i can only workout 3 days a week normally, but 2 of the days are usually consecutive (a normal workout week for me would be mon, tues, thurs). I realize the two consecutive days isnt perfect but hopefully since my numbers arent that high yet it will be manageable.

This program is partly for lacrosse (defense) which starts in the spring and is my only sport at the moment. The 1000lb club goal is also more a personal goal and its carryover to lacrosse while of couse present will probably not be huge. I’m fine with that. I plan to test my maxs in febuary i hope i can do it.

in paretheses are the last sucessful weight i did for that rep range
A
Squat 3x8 (290)
powerclean 5x3 (175)
WG pullup 3x8 (still dont finish later sets on BW)
BB Row 3x8 (?)
Pullover (?)
functional leg work

B
Bench 3x8 (175)
DB incline bench 3x8 (65’s)
dips 3x8 (30)
Clap pushups 3x15
Close-grip bench (160)
full contact twist

C
Deadlift 5x5 (275 and progressing faster because only started a few months ago)
Push press 3x6 (?)
DB shoulder press 3x8 (50’s)
Romanian deadlift (?)
chin ups 3x8 (BW)
slant board crunches
functional leg work

for the functional work I am looking for something to help either lateral agility or 40ish yard sprinting, im not sure what i should do tehres a lot of speculation it seems in this area.

The other question i had was to the progression to the max test i would do around Febuary. Right now i was planning on doing the 3x8 for a few weeks, then moving to a 5x5 and maybe later triples and doubles. This would only be for the squat, bench and deadlift, i was planning on keeping the other lifts at the rep range they are at now. Would this be the best way to go?

Is the 1000 club Squat, Bench, and Clean or Squat, Bench, and Deadlift?

If it’s Squat, Bench, Deadlift then I wouldn’t do any Cleans of any sort.

If it is Squat, Bench, Clean, then make sure you learn how to do a full squat clean.

I dunno. It looks pretty good to me. You cold do anywhere from 8-15 reps with the exercises you put a question mark by.

I don’t know what you mean by functional leg work.

You might want to consider putting in some power snatches somewhere. Unless you really suck at them, because then it’s possible that the gains you’d make from doing them would only be due to improvements in form and not improvements in strength. Also consider Box Jumps. They’re very similar to the squat clean as they teach you to jump explosively then immediatly tuck your knees - just like a squat clean.

Reconsider the order of exercises in each day. Do the exercises in order of how heavy the weights you use are.

You don’t have to change a thing though. Except that if you want to increase your clean, you really need to include some front squats in there. If you can’t front squat something at least 3 times, how can you expect to clean it? That’s your functional leg work from now on.

hah the 1000lb total was for the 1 rep maxes in squat, bench, and deadlift. I was doing the powercleans more for explosiveness and since they are powercleans i dont really go into the full front squat that you would get in a normal clean.

for the functional leg work i was thinking of some kind of lunges or split squats but box jumps probably arent a bad idea. What kind of rep ranges would you recommend doing?

I would love to do snatches but i have never recieved formal instruction on how to do them and am worried that i would do them completely wrong.

That is a good idea on the order. I sometimes also super set something like squats with pullups to make my rest periods more efficient.

Edit: if i know the powerclean maybe i can pull off the power snatch, would you put it in on day C? How many sets and reps would you do? Also this is a stupid question probably but should you use the hook grip?

[quote]a soggy waffle wrote:
since they are powercleans i dont really go into the full front squat that you would get in a normal clean.
[/quote]

if a powerclean isn’t a normal clean then what is it? are you thinking hang cleans, not powercleans? PC is from the floor, and is commonly caught in a position like a front squat

from my understanding you do not catch a powerclean with as much knee bend as you would a normal clean
powerclean:

i see a clean as more of a clean and jerk with out a jerk:

from my understanding you do not catch a powerclean with as much knee bend as you would a normal clean
powerclean:

i see a clean as more of a clean and jerk with out a jerk:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riTLiq8jXiA [/quote]

see, i don’t think there is a difference in them. i just see the extra knee bend as a way to get under the weight to stand up with it. in you PC video, Miss Thing doesn’t have to bend her knees because it’s really not that heavy. i’m not saying you’re wrong by any means, but i’ve never heard of or known a difference in technique between them, just execution

oaky i see what you mean, well i guess what i mean is that in my experience, i have never felt it a problem at all to finish the lift if i could get the weight to shoulder level.

oaky i see what you mean, well i guess what i mean is that in my experience, i have never felt it a problem at all to finish the lift if i could get the weight to shoulder level.[/quote]

personally, if i can get it to standing shoulder level, then it’s not heavy enough (as a max). i would suggest if it’s always that easy, boost the weight, drop your level, and get underneath it.

Monday:
legs
*squat variant- box squat, back squat, front squat
*quad+hammy+calf assistance of choice (leg press, leg ext, glute hams, leg curls, calf raises, hack squat machine, smith machine squat, etc)
*abs

tues or wednesday:
press
*bench press variant
*military press variation
*pec/tri/delt assistance of choice
(any fly variation for shoulders and pecs, reverse grip or close grip on smith or barbell, tri extentions, skullcrushers, etc)

thursday:
pull
*deadlift variant- from floor, rack pulls, standing on blocks, with bands or chains, etc
*row variant- cable or db preferably, bb if you have too
*chin variant- lat pulls, chins, pullups, rack chins
*curl variant-cable curls, bb curls, incline curls, etc
(shrugs also if you have shitty traps, good mornings if you want too)

IMO

hah i meant shoulder level with the legs bent, i will try doing it with a little more knee bend next time see if i can throw on more weight

hah i meant shoulder level with the legs bent, i will try doing it with a little more knee bend next time see if i can throw on more weight[/quote]

oh, ok. in that case, try it and good luck!

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
[/quote]

I had previously planned on doing DB kneel rows instead of BB rows but someone told me that it was better to do a heavier movment with the barbell. what do you guys think is better for my goals (not BB oriented)?

zephead4747 wrote:

I had previously planned on doing DB kneel rows instead of BB rows but someone told me that it was better to do a heavier movment with the barbell. what do you guys think is better for my goals (not BB oriented)?[/quote]

IMO dbs and/or cables are superior to plain bb rowing. Bb rowing invloves bending over and if your glutes/hammys are fatigued you won’t be able to go 100% on your back. youtube “kroc rows”. IMO those are the best way to do db rows. I do cable rows with a slighter narrower then shoulder width on a straight bar attachment. I don’t have any good rowing machines at my gym so I couldn’t give you any specifics on that. I really dislike bb rows for a lot of reasons.

I took my barbell row from 155 to 245 in one summer and gained well over 20 pounds. I think they’re an excellent exercise. Defiantly up there with Squats in terms of exercises that can pack on muscle. And in terms of mid-trap thickness, they can’t be beat.

hrm ya i think ill try BB rows for a while at least until i think my back isnt the weakest link. You dont rest it on the floor after each rep right? i dont normally but some videos on youtube do that.

Hah so i tried some power snatches today to. They were a lot of fun and an exercise i would love to get good at. Unfortunately i dont think the my schools weight room will let me do them anymore. I fell forward with the weight when i didnt get the weight far enough back overhead and everyone looked at me, a coach mentioning how it was a bad idea. We dont have a ton of room and i wouldnt trust our crappy bumber plates to withstand a drop from the top level in the movement, i was inseat lowering it down myself after each snatch. I’m pretty bummed tho i enjoyed the lift more than powercleans.

umm the squat under clean is called a “full clean” and is a huge difference than a “power clean” is usually taught to athletes b/c it is easier to learn and uses more uper body explosiveness and the full clean usues alot of legs considering u front squat it, both are great and so are the variations like hang cleans or hiugh puills

hah ya thanks i was starting to worry. The full clean didnt work out that well today hah because i dont really have the tricep flexibility to rest the bar on my shoulders properly in a front squat.

[quote]bignate wrote:
umm the squat under clean is called a “full clean” and is a huge difference than a “power clean” is usually taught to athletes b/c it is easier to learn and uses more uper body explosiveness and the full clean usues alot of legs considering u front squat it, both are great and so are the variations like hang cleans or hiugh puills[/quote]

A proper power clean is the same as a full clean except that lighter weights are used and it’s caught higher. If you want to know how to do a proper power clean, watch an Olympic lifter, not an athlete. A Full Squat clean is almost like a missed power clean.

Are you doing any field or skill work? Games sports or something?

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
Are you doing any field or skill work? Games sports or something?[/quote]

im sorry i dont understand what your asking, are you refering to keeping up my lacrosse skills?