T Nation

Strength, Physical Change, No Mass Gain


#1

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and new to lifting in general.

I'm a skinny dude at 5'11 and 155 lb. and started lifting January of this year with under the tutelage of two friends who have been lifting for a lot longer. I work out on a MonWedFri routine.

At this point, my workouts consists of mostly big lifts (squat, deadlift, military press, bench) in order to build overall strength and size. I'm mostly repping 3-5 on heavy weights to promote strength and it's been working (my pathetic squat of 165 is now a less pathetic 245 and my bench went up too).

I'm also noticing a thicker upper body and raised traps where I used to have none and other minor things.

What is really strange though is that I have not gained a single pound. Still 155. I'm hoping that it is due to a fat loss and muscle gain balance since I metabolize quickly and loss fat quite easily despite my new eating habits (aka. I eat a shit ton now).

Is there something wrong with this situation?


#2

[quote]Dangles wrote:
Hi all, I’m new to this forum and new to lifting in general.

I’m a skinny dude at 5’11 and 155 lb. and started lifting January of this year with under the tutelage of two friends who have been lifting for a lot longer. I work out on a MonWedFri routine.

At this point, my workouts consists of mostly big lifts (squat, deadlift, military press, bench) in order to build overall strength and size. I’m mostly repping 3-5 on heavy weights to promote strength and it’s been working (my pathetic squat of 165 is now a less pathetic 245 and my bench went up too).

I’m also noticing a thicker upper body and raised traps where I used to have none and other minor things.

What is really strange though is that I have not gained a single pound. Still 155. I’m hoping that it is due to a fat loss and muscle gain balance since I metabolize quickly and loss fat quite easily despite my new eating habits (aka. I eat a shit ton now).

Is there something wrong with this situation?[/quote]

Nope.


#3

You’re probably fine. Just make sure you are eating a ton.


#4

Nope, nothing wrong. You’re seeing some fat loss and some muscle gain. However, you need to eat more if you want to be big. You’re 2 months in, so you’re not bad, size gains should start increasing if you put more food in your stomach. If the scale isn’t going up, you need to eat more.


#5

What are you eating? I bet it is not as much as you think. This is not a dig - but if you don’t put it on paper and really take a look at it a “shit ton” is not specific enough.


#6

My friend from work started lifting with me and the same thing happened. The first 3 months he gained a grip of strength but not much weight, and he asked me what the problem was. I told him to eat constantly, and the next 6 months he literally gained 20 pounds. He started off at 125 and now is at 150.


#7

start going to mcdonalds and getting 4 mc chickens a day, 360 cals each, 5-10 g’s fat and around 20 g’s protein i think thatll bulk ya up


#8

I’m at college, so whatever is on the menu at the dining halls is what I eat. I can’t accurately do a log since I can’t get a caloric count on what I eat although I guess I could make approximations.

I usually eat 2 plates of food and follow up with a glass of chocolate milk and a PB&J. I guess I need around 4000 calories a day at this point, but I can never know how much I eat.


#9

[quote]Dangles wrote:
I’m at college, so whatever is on the menu at the dining halls is what I eat. I can’t accurately do a log since I can’t get a caloric count on what I eat although I guess I could make approximations.

I usually eat 2 plates of food and follow up with a glass of chocolate milk and a PB&J. I guess I need around 4000 calories a day at this point, but I can never know how much I eat.[/quote]

Just keep working hard and eat when you can. You’ll gain weight eventually.

Lift, eat, sleep.

Repeat.


#10

[quote]Dangles wrote:
I’m at college, so whatever is on the menu at the dining halls is what I eat. I can’t accurately do a log since I can’t get a caloric count on what I eat although I guess I could make approximations.

I usually eat 2 plates of food and follow up with a glass of chocolate milk and a PB&J. I guess I need around 4000 calories a day at this point, but I can never know how much I eat.[/quote]

You should be bringing extra food back to your dorm room for later is what you should be doing. Steal Nalgene bottles full of chocolate milk to put in the fridge too. Your cafeteria should have some sort of “sandwich/deli line” in it right? Get a couple sandwiches in addition to your plates of food, wrap them in napkin or bring ziplock baggies, and put them in your fridge in the dorm room. I did this all the time, it was what kept me going in between cafeteria meals. I’d carry the sandwiches or water bottles to class, or study sessions, or wherever and eat them between “official” meals.

get a mini fridge if you don’t have one. They come in super handy.

Also, who says you can’t buy food in addition to the cafeteria? I bought tons of tuna, whole milk, whole chocolate milk, and other goodies when I was in college. Better than spending it all on booze.


#11

Good advice though, it almost seems silly that I hadn’t thought of hording food from the dining halls.

I’ll give this a try. Sandwich lines aren’t every day (I go to a small liberal arts college with dining halls that have very different items everyday instead of large dining halls with the same stands), but PB&J is available along with a lot of different kinds of bread. I guess I’ll start swiping 12-grain PB&J’s along with some chocolate milk.

Thanks for all the tips.


#12

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

You should be bringing extra food back to your dorm room for later is what you should be doing. Steal Nalgene bottles full of chocolate milk to put in the fridge too. Your cafeteria should have some sort of “sandwich/deli line” in it right? Get a couple sandwiches in addition to your plates of food, wrap them in napkin or bring ziplock baggies, and put them in your fridge in the dorm room. I did this all the time, it was what kept me going in between cafeteria meals. I’d carry the sandwiches or water bottles to class, or study sessions, or wherever and eat them between “official” meals.

get a mini fridge if you don’t have one. They come in super handy.

Also, who says you can’t buy food in addition to the cafeteria? I bought tons of tuna, whole milk, whole chocolate milk, and other goodies when I was in college. Better than spending it all on booze. [/quote]

What other goodies did you buy? I’m in the same predicament as him


#13

[quote]Dangles wrote:
I’m at college, so whatever is on the menu at the dining halls is what I eat. I can’t accurately do a log since I can’t get a caloric count on what I eat although I guess I could make approximations.

I usually eat 2 plates of food and follow up with a glass of chocolate milk and a PB&J. I guess I need around 4000 calories a day at this point, but I can never know how much I eat.[/quote]

False, you can definitely track stuff you get from the dining hall. Just get stuff that you can easily separate. I do it all the time.

For example: At the salad bar, get a bunch of greens, put them in one part of the takeout box. Get a bunch of chicken strips, put them in another. Then go to where the rice is, get a bunch of that, put in another part. When you get home, google “nutrition facts for [insert food here]”, it is highly likely that you will find some. Then weight your food, calculate, and enjoy.


#14

You may have lost fat and gained muscle - so poundage changes were not noticed. If you want to increase mass you really need to be eating - a LOT and often.


#15

[quote]Deartian wrote:
Aragorn wrote:

You should be bringing extra food back to your dorm room for later is what you should be doing. Steal Nalgene bottles full of chocolate milk to put in the fridge too. Your cafeteria should have some sort of “sandwich/deli line” in it right? Get a couple sandwiches in addition to your plates of food, wrap them in napkin or bring ziplock baggies, and put them in your fridge in the dorm room. I did this all the time, it was what kept me going in between cafeteria meals. I’d carry the sandwiches or water bottles to class, or study sessions, or wherever and eat them between “official” meals.

get a mini fridge if you don’t have one. They come in super handy.

Also, who says you can’t buy food in addition to the cafeteria? I bought tons of tuna, whole milk, whole chocolate milk, and other goodies when I was in college. Better than spending it all on booze.

What other goodies did you buy? I’m in the same predicament as him[/quote]

My standards were definitely whole milk and chocolate milk. I bought them so often that people actually still recognize me based solely on the fact that they would see me with a quart of milk in my hand–I actually had several people come up to me in the bars about a week ago and tell me this: “hey, you’re the chocolate milk guy!”…they were hot chicks so I didn’t become instantly annoyed at being identified as “chocolate milk guy”, I just said, “hey ladies…” :).

1 quart of whole milk is 32g protein and 600 calories. Works great in a pinch. 1 quart Choc. milk is 800-900 calories. God help me if I ever become lactose intolerant.

But besides those, tortillas to make quesadillas (tuna/cheese, etc), canned chicken, chicken in general, deli meats, whatever. A lot of mixed nuts or pecans or walnuts–they’re calorie packed AND healthy. I used to have these things–I don’t even remember what they were called–that you put whole eggs in these egg-shaped plastic cups and put them in the microwave to cook eggs. Worked pretty well.

Natty peanut butter, cottage cheese (usually whole, not skim). Hell, in a bulk where you’re a skinny guy just about anything will do. I bought bagels for bread carbs, whole wheat bread (the kind with uber amounts of fiber in it), baby carrots.

I didn’t buy all of those things all at once of course. But I always had SOMETHING on hand to quash hunger during late night, or during class, or whatever. If you watch the coupons, you can find some really ridiculously cheap deals–I got tuna for like 56 cents a can at one point, which is about as cheap as Biotest’s whey comes out to (about 50 cents/scoop). It’s weird, but damn if my mom wasn’t right about coupons and sales. Thanks mom.

@Dangles–Well, PB & J isn’t a great choice: it’s got sugar and not much protein, save whats in the PB and the bread (which ain’t much). See if you can swipe any turkey sandwiches. But hey, if it comes down to it, eat your PB/J to gain weight and drink your milk.