Strength or Bodybuilding

[quote]Evolv wrote:
I personally feel bodybuilding training is overrated unless you plan on becoming a competitive bodybuilder.

If you’re a dude with a life outside of picking up metal and putting it back where you found it, just train to be strong, fast, and badass. It takes less time and you’ll be able to do anything without having to eat chicken breasts 14 times a day and looking at yourself in the mirror every 10 minutes.[/quote]

If the guy wants to have a standout physique, he should train like a bber (and if he does it correctly it should make him pretty damn strong as well). If he wants to run fast, he should train like a sprinter, etc.

Just because you dont enjoy bbing doesnt mean that no one does. Why try to force your goals onto him? Your hyperboles are not helping anyone.

[quote]Anus Bleach wrote:

[quote]Evolv wrote:
I personally feel bodybuilding training is overrated unless you plan on becoming a competitive bodybuilder.

If you’re a dude with a life outside of picking up metal and putting it back where you found it, just train to be strong, fast, and badass. It takes less time and you’ll be able to do anything without having to eat chicken breasts 14 times a day and looking at yourself in the mirror every 10 minutes.[/quote]

If the guy wants to have a standout physique, he should train like a bber (and if he does it correctly it should make him pretty damn strong as well). If he wants to run fast, he should train like a sprinter, etc.

Just because you dont enjoy bbing doesnt mean that no one does. Why try to force your goals onto him? Your hyperboles are not helping anyone.[/quote]
hmmm, seems you have taken offence to what I have said and totally missed the point.

[quote]Evolv wrote:

hmmm, seems you have taken offence to what I have said and totally missed the point. [/quote]

did I really?

[quote]Evolv wrote:

[quote]Evolv wrote:

Just because you dont enjoy bbing doesnt mean that no one does. Why try to force your goals onto him? Your hyperboles are not helping anyone.[/quote]
hmmm, seems you have taken offence to what I have said and totally missed the point. [/quote]

How did he miss your point? Do YOU look like a bodybuilder?

I’m a dude with a life outside of picking up metal. Why would I avoid training in the way that produces the most physical results if that is my goal?

there is more to life than lifting!?!!?

#mindblown

Since you’re not very muscular you should start with a strength program to achieve a foundation for whatever it is you want to do eventually, which could be either more strength training or, if you’re so inclined, a BB program. I have no hard data to back up my assertions but my take is that if you do a strength program now, it will pay off when you start doing BB stuff. I see skinny dudes at the gym that seem to do all too many specific isolation exercises like wrist barbell curls or triceps kickbacks.

I suggest you get going with StrongLifts 5x5, Madcow 5x5 Intermediate or 5/3/1.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Evolv wrote:

[quote]Evolv wrote:

How did he miss your point? Do YOU look like a bodybuilder?

I’m a dude with a life outside of picking up metal. Why would I avoid training in the way that produces the most physical results if that is my goal?[/quote]

My point is there is no point in doing a bodybuilding routine if that is not your goal…

Hello there

This morning I did a full body W/O, 6 exercises, 45 minutes, 3x8, 4 compounds ex (deadlift, standing press, squat, and lat pulldown)

This is my time to workout :
45 mins to 1 hour every morning, but will do it 3 /4 times a week max, because of going out and having a life beside.

I am totally not on the “bodybuilding” side but I would like to look stronger, thicker. But an important part is that I want this to be useful in my life.

I work 50 hours a week and cannot afford extreme meal plan etc…

So my goals :

• stronger
  • thicker
  • then faster (but I know how to do it)

So anymore insight considering this ?

Thx

[quote]Tyro wrote:
Hello there

This morning I did a full body W/O, 6 exercises, 45 minutes, 3x8, 4 compounds ex (deadlift, standing press, squat, and lat pulldown)

This is my time to workout :
45 mins to 1 hour every morning, but will do it 3 /4 times a week max, because of going out and having a life beside.

I am totally not on the “bodybuilding” side but I would like to look stronger, thicker. But an important part is that I want this to be useful in my life.

I work 50 hours a week and cannot afford extreme meal plan etc…

So my goals :

• stronger
  • thicker
  • then faster (but I know how to do it)

So anymore insight considering this ?

Thx
[/quote]

would you just read the replies? there have been several good strength programs suggested, just pick one.

[quote]Tyro wrote:
Hello everybody,

Here is a part of my story.

At 19, I was 105 pds. Yes. One-O-Five. I was the skinniest guy on earth, height 5’9. I used to walk 4 * 20 min a day in order to go to college. I was fucking lean and had a huge cardio. I was a biking fan too, biking on road, sometimes 60 miles on weekends.

My physical condition was huge. Playing basketball or football I would be up and running after 2 hours of ful intensity game when other where unable to even move.

However I felt the need to see girls. And skinny guys are not the hype, aren’t they ?

So I did what I felt right : took a yearly pass to a gym. I realize I did it totally randomly, and it was a “real” gym. Not those “tan bed hammam sauna” bullshit. Guys here were either huge or very powerful, and I was the little skinny.

My coach, bodybuilder in my country, was a good man. He learnt me every exercise, citing Rippetoe, Cressey, etc… He was good to me.

I trained for 6 months, sweating until total failure, and ate like never before, but a lot of carbs. After 6 month, I was 125 pds. Then I got a girlfriend for 2 years and stopped any sport that was not sex (which was sometimes very sporty…)

After that, I went back to the gym and kicked it hard again. This time I took creatine, whey, etc… but I was more sloppy (3 times a week).

After 1 year, I was 145 pds, with a lot of lean mass, I lost fat because I played basketball for 2 hours every weekend, and tennis for 1 hour every wednesday.

I had 6 month elbow injury and moved to another city, so I went to my new gym, which is a crappy sauna suntan cardio bullshit without squat rack I would like to blow with C4 due to the huge amount of ppl doing wrong here.

BUut here I am.

I am 156 pounds today.

Believe me, it s nothing compared to you guys, nothing. I admire you but I am quite proud. I got muscle. I gained a shirt size. I have strong chest and back. I have good physical condition. No pain, no injuries.

But a problem.

This problem is strength. Reading all that Cressey / Berardi / Rippetoe, etc stuff, I figured those things :

• My bench, aftr 3 years, is still crappy
  • My deadlift sucks but I proceed slowly to learn perfect form
  • My squat is very good (i don’t know why) according to my coach
  • I cannot do any large grip pullup
  • I cannot do any dip with acceptable amplitude

Everytime I “hang” on something and rely on scapula belt pure strength, shoulder strength in order to start a movement or to kick back, I suck.

I seriously can’t do a large grip pullup, not even half one. For the dips, same. It feels like my arm would blow up my shoulders. And pullups are like tearing me in 2 parts.

I tried to check form, I tried assisted pull up. Even with 70 pds assistance I cannot do any one. But I can lat pulldown something like 150 pounds.

Maybe it is on my body ?

I got long arms, short legs, long torso. My forearms, wrists, etc are thin. Biceps are not very good.

Now I hesitate :

• should I continue BB program (basically a 4x8 split)
  • should I start some strength program (like rippetoe program ?)

My goal is to have strong muscle. I want mass but I want strength too… I wanna be strong, I wanna feel that test I feel when I deadlift high, that feeling in my teeth wanting to rip that fucking bench apart.

I know I won’t be able to have a bodybuilder extreme body as I don’t have time and energy to eat so much, and to dedicate. Don’t get me wrong, I respect BB as much as I can respect somebody.

But a Wolverine body would be great, with some power and strength.

I wish you all a merry xmas.

And thank you for your help.

Sorry for maybe poor english or mistakes, I am not from here, but I would like if you correct me. I am here to learn.

Have a good day[/quote]

You just need a good strength routine. I suggest 5/3/1, that worked real well for me. There’s also 5x5.

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
why would a skinny kid want to train for strength? so he can appear to have normal lvls of strength for the hour he’s in the gym?

confused[/quote]

Quoting because apparently I’m the only one who read this.

I started 2 weeks ago Stronglifts 5x5

Improved a lot my technique on all the exercises… Feeling good with it and it works good with my schedule. Stalling on the weight side however (158 lbs… eating 3500 Kcal avg. KCal a day…)

[quote]Tyro wrote:
I started 2 weeks ago Stronglifts 5x5

Improved a lot my technique on all the exercises… Feeling good with it and it works good with my schedule. Stalling on the weight side however (158 lbs… eating 3500 Kcal avg. KCal a day…)
[/quote]

here’s an easy fix: eat more

Just saying you can’t have the mentality that you don’t know if you can do something, or maybe you can accomplish your goals. You will get NOWHERE if you think like that.