Strength Off The Floor

[quote]Defekt wrote:
I’m not sure if a super wide stance would be very comfortable to pull form. [/quote]

It’s not. But powerlifting isn’t supposed to be comfortable.

[quote]buckeye girl wrote:
Defekt wrote:
I’m not sure if a super wide stance would be very comfortable to pull form.

It’s not. But powerlifting isn’t supposed to be comfortable.[/quote]

Awesome

[quote]Defekt wrote:
So I’ve noticed where my deadlift is lacking is straight up off the floor. If i miss the lift it budges maybe an inch or two and thats it.

In that video Matt stated that his squat going up resulted in a bigger deadlift when his lockout was strong. Could that be similar for me? Should I concentrate on only squatting heavy for a while and leaving out my deadlifting for a few weeks?

In the past I have noticed my deadlift is usually stronger after doing ME squat work for 2-3 weeks, although I haven’t been training that long and everything goes up when my squat goes up.

For the record I pull sumo with a 435 dead 375 squat. 5’10 longish torso.[/quote]

i miss just off the floor right now. Before it was just below the knees. what helped to move my sticking point was deadlifts against the bands on the sumo jump stretch platform. I get 250+ pounds extra at lockout. this teaches me to pull both hard and fast.

I think I might try soem platform deads or sumo for now to hit from the deficit and get the hips a little stronger.

Defekt wrote:

I wish it was, I’d love to wear a fleece suit…though I doubt it would give me much pop out of the hole.

Defekt wrote:

Pulling in a way in which you are comfortable would increase your poundages. If I’m trying to make my hip not pop out its socket the entire pull I gaurentee I wont get as much weight up.

[quote]Defekt wrote:
buckeye girl wrote:
Defekt wrote:

Pulling in a way in which you are comfortable would increase your poundages. [/quote]

Not necessarily. If you bench in a shirt the way that feels comfortable, you will not be in the bubble and lose lots of weight. Oftentimes, contorting your body into something extremely uncomfortable can give you more leverage to get a big lift.

Why not do something crazy and try it before dismissing it?

I have tried it and my hip feels all wrong. Making yourself uncomfortable to get the most out of a shirt is different than putting yourself in an unsafe position. I am not flexible enough to pull super wide and it feels like I will get hurt. I am completely unstable and for now it does not work for me.

[quote]Defekt wrote:
buckeye girl wrote:
Defekt wrote:

Pulling in a way in which you are comfortable would increase your poundages. If I’m trying to make my hip not pop out its socket the entire pull I gaurentee I wont get as much weight up. [/quote]

There is a difference between uncomfortable and dangerous.

You don’t have to take a toes to the plates stance (but if you do, I would recommend putting collars on the bar before the plate). But training with a wider stance could be beneficial if you’re having trouble getting the weight off of the ground.

The point is not so much to pull more weight with the new stance, but to get stronger so that you can pull more with your “normal” sumo stance.

I’m certainly not saying that this is the only thing that will help, but it is another deadlift variation that could be beneficial. If they don’t work for you, thats fine. You have plenty of other options. I just thought I’d throw that out there because I know others on this site have said they have benefited from ultra wides, and they seem to be quite popular at my gym.

Ok so I didnt read the rest of the suggestion so somebody may have said this but What you should try is an isometric hold.Get in the power rack and set the pins where you think your weak point is and get a weight you can handle 6/7 times and pull it to the pins,And once you get to the pins try to pull the weight through them then lower the weight and repeat.What this will do is strengthen your back in that spot it is weak.Also try some band work.

Defekt wrote:
buckeye girl wrote:
Defekt wrote:

Pulling in a way in which you are comfortable would increase your poundages. If I’m trying to make my hip not pop out its socket the entire pull I gaurentee I wont get as much weight up.

There is a difference between uncomfortable and dangerous.

You don’t have to take a toes to the plates stance (but if you do, I would recommend putting collars on the bar before the plate). But training with a wider stance could be beneficial if you’re having trouble getting the weight off of the ground.

The point is not so much to pull more weight with the new stance, but to get stronger so that you can pull more with your “normal” sumo stance.

I’m certainly not saying that this is the only thing that will help, but it is another deadlift variation that could be beneficial. If they don’t work for you, thats fine. You have plenty of other options. I just thought I’d throw that out there because I know others on this site have said they have benefited from ultra wides, and they seem to be quite popular at my gym.[/quote]

I appreciate this, and will start working them in. Although, it will probably take longer before I’m doing max effort pulls with them. I’ll probably do some lighter stuff to get used to the postion for a few weeks or so.

[quote]horsepuss wrote:
Ok so I didnt read the rest of the suggestion so somebody may have said this but What you should try is an isometric hold.Get in the power rack and set the pins where you think your weak point is and get a weight you can handle 6/7 times and pull it to the pins,And once you get to the pins try to pull the weight through them then lower the weight and repeat.What this will do is strengthen your back in that spot it is weak.Also try some band work.[/quote]

The power rack at my gym sucks, the lowest pin is halfway up my thigh. I can’t rig any aerobics platforms becuase they bend, there aren’t enough mats and the plates are really slippery. I’m still trying to figure out a way I can do this . I’ve also wanted to try functional isometrics for a while but annoyingly enough the holes are too far apart for that.

[quote]Defekt wrote:
horsepuss wrote:
Ok so I didnt read the rest of the suggestion so somebody may have said this but What you should try is an isometric hold.Get in the power rack and set the pins where you think your weak point is and get a weight you can handle 6/7 times and pull it to the pins,And once you get to the pins try to pull the weight through them then lower the weight and repeat.What this will do is strengthen your back in that spot it is weak.Also try some band work.

The power rack at my gym sucks, the lowest pin is halfway up my thigh. I can’t rig any aerobics platforms becuase they bend, there aren’t enough mats and the plates are really slippery. I’m still trying to figure out a way I can do this . I’ve also wanted to try functional isometrics for a while but annoyingly enough the holes are too far apart for that.[/quote]

Depending on how wide your stance is you could put the bar under a bench.Like a bench press bench and pull to that.

[quote]Defekt wrote:
I appreciate this, and will start working them in. Although, it will probably take longer before I’m doing max effort pulls with them. I’ll probably do some lighter stuff to get used to the postion for a few weeks or so.[/quote]

I don’t know how others do them, but I don’t think my hips could handle ME ultra wides a few weeks in a row. I usually have to do them for speed, or as a heavy, but not ME, exercise.

Like I said, I don’t know if that’s right, or how others incorporate them into their program, but I would be cautious because, not surprisingly, they can be tough on your hips.

I’ve had great success doing ultra wide pulls for 3x6’s over the course of 4 or 5 weeks. I did them beltless, which limited that amount of weight Icould use, but was still more than I could use anyway considering the weakness in my hips. 2 or 3 weeks after I pulled 185kg 3x6 (407lb) I pulled 220kg x2 (485lb) with a little bit in the tank. That was back in late december.

Recently tho, my new favourite is box squats, done with a “normal” stance, and with a multi ply stance (ie wiiiide). Chris Clark suggested the super wide stance for my speed work on Elite, and it’s helped a bit even tho I’ve only been doing it a few weeks.

My best current pull is right around 240kg (I’ll hopefully hit 250kg/550lb) this summer before my next comp on the road to 600.