Strength, Not Mass

I am just looking for some advice on strength training, but I would not like to gain muscle mass while strength training. In my sport, I need to be able to fling myself through the air, so I want to increase my relative strength a whole lot (weight to strength ratio).

My sport is a lot of acrobatics, yea so any suggestions anybody can give me would be great!

strength train like normal just with a low calorie diet

[quote]n3wb wrote:
strength train like normal just with a low calorie diet[/quote]

What?!? No.

[quote]jbodzin wrote:
n3wb wrote:

What?!? No.[/quote]

Yes essentially what he is saying is true. If the OP doesnt eat to gain weight in any form just eats enouhg to maintain he can make some slow progress in strength. Much will be neural but yes.

Eat to maintian and well you’ll have to keep enough intake to do so. and expect to up it slowly. Your recovery etc wont be what it wqill when eating BIG but it can work. SLOWLY

Phill

Nutrition aside, you’ll probably want to focus more on lifting heavy, rather than lifting for high reps. Say, 5x5s, or 8x3s or something to that effect.

I’m sure one of the more knowledgeable posters on here can correct me if I’m off base, but it’s been my understanding that lifting weight that’s say, 50-70% of your max lift for many reps tends to increase mass gain, whereas just sub-maximal lifts (85-90% of 1RM) used with fewer reps tends to produce more powerful fibers. (Note: I’m not trying to say that lifting heavy won’t make you grow bigger, because it certainly helps in that process, though you do need to be eating the right amount)

There was an article awhile back, something regarding the latter type of lifting promoting denser fibers, and the former promoting the growth of broader, more numerous fibers (equaling more size)? Anyway, more knowledgeable guys, please straighten this out if I’ve mixed up some things.

[quote]Phill wrote:
jbodzin wrote:
n3wb wrote:

What?!? No.

Yes essentially what he is saying is true. If the OP doesnt eat to gain weight in any form just eats enouhg to maintain he can make some slow progress in strength. Much will be neural but yes.

Eat to maintian and well you’ll have to keep enough intake to do so. and expect to up it slowly. Your recovery etc wont be what it wqill when eating BIG but it can work. SLOWLY

Phill
[/quote]

I see what you are saying Phil, but I was thinking about this on more of a long term situation.

I thought that training for strength gains through neurological adaption were really only useful for up to 6 weeks or so before causing a CNS overtraining, maybe even less do to an underfeeding.

Although I may be completly wrong.

[quote]jbodzin wrote:
I see what you are saying Phil, but I was thinking about this on more of a long term situation.

I thought that training for strength gains through neurological adaption were really only useful for up to 6 weeks or so before causing a CNS overtraining, maybe even less do to an underfeeding.

Although I may be completly wrong.[/quote]

Depends on what kind of shape the OP is in. If he’s got some fat to lose, he could very well put on several pounds of muscle and not weigh anymore due to losing fat on a lower calorie diet.

Of course, if he’s ripped already it will be very hard to gain strength without at least a little gain in mass.

Hypertrophy is a bi product of strength in most cases. Your going to get stronger by lifting heavy, then you will have to increase the weight, and your muscles will respond by getting larger too. So unless your afraid that your gonna blow up and look like ronnie coleman i wouldnt be to worried about getting size to the point where you cant “fling” yourself around in the air. a little functional muscle wont hurt anybody.

Oh defenately everyone, a little mass will not hurt! Your advice is much appreciated, and I think I have got the idea now.

Thanks.

If anybody wants to add some more to this thread, some advice about what types of lifts to do for good leg strength in paticular, and then more overall body strength lifts would be very helpful.