T Nation

Strength: NFL Quarterbacks

I know for a fact that Peyton Manning could bench 315 and squat 405 before his rookie season.

I forget his name, but I saw the Virginia Tech QB (big white guy before Vick) power clean 405. Pretty damn impressive.

Neil O’Donnell, former QB of the Steelers, could bench 455.

I’m sure it varies widely. Most are probably stronger than they look though. A while back I was looking at an old M&F from '98 or '99 and it was the NFL strength edition. It had the all iron team, a guy from each position from each league. Strength coaches, coaches, players, etc. were asked and the qb from the NFC was Koy Detmer. I don’t know what he does in the gym but he looks very small. Who knows? The AFC guy was someone like Steve McNair or someone you would expect.

FightinIrish26 I get what your saying to a pin, I’m not saying he needs to be able to bench press a volkswagen, I most likely used the wrong example I shot too high. But say a quarterback trying to become a starter and show what hes worth, if he has the ability and resources to be able to get stronger without getting hurt (the team pays for everything) would it hurt him to get faster or stronger ?

I’ve seen some supposid NFL player workouts (they were in magazines so they probably were just making stuff up) but most of them didn’t consist of alot of benching alot of it was core work and total body workouts. So I don’t think its bench that would put them in the hall of fame but it defently would hurt a upcomming qb.

I mean after all the Lions… could use… alot :frowning: 3-13 :frowning: We need hope in Detroit we need a miracle

I’ve seen the average lift numbers for D-1 players at each position, but I can’t find them right now.

[quote]MidDistanceMac wrote:
FightinIrish26 I get what your saying to a pin, I’m not saying he needs to be able to bench press a volkswagen, I most likely used the wrong example I shot too high. But say a quarterback trying to become a starter and show what hes worth, if he has the ability and resources to be able to get stronger without getting hurt (the team pays for everything) would it hurt him to get faster or stronger ?

I’ve seen some supposid NFL player workouts (they were in magazines so they probably were just making stuff up) but most of them didn’t consist of alot of benching alot of it was core work and total body workouts. So I don’t think its bench that would put them in the hall of fame but it defently would hurt a upcomming qb.

I mean after all the Lions… could use… alot :frowning: 3-13 :frowning: We need hope in Detroit we need a miracle[/quote]

Any football player that’s still trying to make it could probably afford to be bigger and stronger. All I’m saying is that if you’re a starter in the NFL, there probably ain’t much higher you can go!

It just irritates me that people forget so much about sport specific things- if you’re a QB, you need to throw the fuckin ball. If you can do that well enough, you’re golden. If you’re a boxer, you need to hit hard, and if you’re a linebacker you need to know how to tackle. That’s just all there is to it. Call it a pet peeve of mine, I guess. Strength doesn’t make up for lack of skill.

And your Lions…you motherfuckers need God on your side or something…or a new owner and GM!

I assume you mean this…
http://www.criticalbench.com/sportstraining.htm

Found it interesting, but I’m not sure where they get their numbers from. It’d be intersting to find out.

-MAtt

[quote]HoratioSandoval wrote:
I’ve seen the average lift numbers for D-1 players at each position, but I can’t find them right now.[/quote]

I’m sure it varies widely. The Mannings do not look very strong. Eli in particular looks like his arms would snap off if he tried to bench 300. But Donovan McNabb and Dante Culpepper look pretty damn strong.

As to does it matter? Well, that depends on the style of each particular player. Peyton Manning doesn’t try to scramble or break tackles. Yet he is a great player. His lack of strength in the weight room doesn’t seem to affect him. Michael Vick, the way he plays, probably uses his strength a lot more.

I believe Peyton does a good amount of training actually, but he’s not bodybuilding. And, if I remember his training right (it was in some article), he does a lot of shoulder work at all angles, and focuses on, of course, high reps.

Vick had great numbers in college. Steve Young was a machine - there was an old article called ‘Forever Young’ that gave an example of how he trained in the off-season.

Even players paid to be big and strong don’t lift weights like they did when they were younger - the risk of injury is just too high considering what they do every Sunday.

[quote]OKLAHOMA STATE wrote:

I forget his name, but I saw the Virginia Tech QB (big white guy before Vick) power clean 405. Pretty damn impressive.

…[/quote]

Drunkenmiller?

That’s him Zap. Good work.

That guy still holds all the V-Tech strength records for a QB. He had close to a 600 pound squat as well.

[quote]OKLAHOMA STATE wrote:
That’s him Zap. Good work.

That guy still holds all the V-Tech strength records for a QB. He had close to a 600 pound squat as well.[/quote]

Too bad he was garbage in the NFL. Great name though.

Jared Lorenzen is 6-4 285. He could easily be one of the strongest qb’s in the nfl. Imagine the nfl with lineman sized quarterbacks. lol.

Call me a little opinionated, but who cares what a quarterback can bench? You’re an idiot if you’re testing it in the first place:

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/overhead_athlete.htm

With that said, one NFL quarterback with whom I’ve worked front squatted 315 for five reps at a height of 6-5. Walking lunges for eight steps on each leg with 105-pound DBs, too. Not too shabby.

www.EricCressey.com

In college, the javelin throwers on our track team specifically did not bench any more than low maintenance levels starting a few months before and during the season because it tightened and internally rotated their shoulders too much to allow for the kind of flexibility needed to throw well. I would think that quarter backs could be similar.

To really be healthy, quarterback might concentrate more on overall shoulder/rotator cuff health than big benching. Big bench numbers in a quarterback might even indicate one who’s more prone to a shoulder problem due to shoulder imbalances.

QBs are weak. whoever said Jay Cutler is the strongest QB has lost his damn mind.

The 3 strongest QBs in the NFL are Donovan Mcnabb, Mike Vick and Dante Culpepper before his knee injury. since then he got off the HGH and lost a whooole lot of weight.

and even those 3 are nowhere near as strong as one would think. People need to realize that any professional sport is chalked full of exagerations. from 40yd dash times to weight lifting numbers. they need to put out the image that these guys are super human super fast. but there not. granted there super human compared to most people but there not anywhere near what people would think. QBs that is

It makes prefectly good sense the whole benching issue… with tightening their body and stuff… but i was also trying to adress squats and deadlifts… no place in a qb’s workout for those either? no more benching issues i see that but my first post dealt with all three

Deadlift? Squat? JAZZERCISE?

Vick isn’t super fast? Give me a break.

[quote]BlazinSpeed wrote:
QBs are weak. whoever said Jay Cutler is the strongest QB has lost his damn mind.

The 3 strongest QBs in the NFL are Donovan Mcnabb, Mike Vick and Dante Culpepper before his knee injury. since then he got off the HGH and lost a whooole lot of weight.

and even those 3 are nowhere near as strong as one would think. People need to realize that any professional sport is chalked full of exagerations. from 40yd dash times to weight lifting numbers. they need to put out the image that these guys are super human super fast. but there not. granted there super human compared to most people but there not anywhere near what people would think. QBs that is[/quote]

Vick runs a 4.36 40. Your saying that isn’t fast?!

Here are Cutler’s numbers FWIW.

400-pound bench press…Bench pressed 225 pounds 27 times…480-pound squat…295-pound power clean…315-pound hang clean…32-inch vertical jump

i didnt say vick wasnt fast. vick is super fast. but hes not super strong. what im saying is everything in pro sports is exagerated to give the apperance of super human. Iverson aint 6 foot tall.

yea vick is fast but thats because hes naturally fast. I know that vick powercleans 225 for reps when hes working out. I play pro ball myself i dont read these made up mags that you guys are reading. yea there are crazy strong QBs but the good ones are good because there good(peyton, brady etc) not becasuse they can squat 500lbs becaseu they cant.

Im just sayin dont buy into the pro sports hype. anything for that matter the news, commercials, advertisements, entertainment in general. they wouldnt make money if the fans thought they were as strong or good as the pros.