T Nation

Strength: NFL Quarterbacks

I was watching NYG vs Philly today and was wondering just 1 main question…

How strong are NFL Quarterbacks…?

I’ve realized the obvious, they are pro athletes and get paid to be the best… but in a sense one would think they aren’t lifting as much/often as their line obviously, or WR, or RB or any of the Defense…

Would you consider them the weakest player on the team?
What range do you think they’re Bench, Deadlift, and Squat are in? ie: Bench 250-315?
Who do you think is the strongest QB in the league?

I was just curious on what everyone else has as an image for NFL quarterbacks

[quote]MidDistanceMac wrote:
I was watching NYG vs Philly today and was wondering just 1 main question…

How strong are NFL Quarterbacks…?

I’ve realized the obvious, they are pro athletes and get paid to be the best… but in a sense one would think they aren’t lifting as much/often as their line obviously, or WR, or RB or any of the Defense…

Would you consider them the weakest player on the team?
What range do you think they’re Bench, Deadlift, and Squat are in? ie: Bench 250-315?
Who do you think is the strongest QB in the league?

I was just curious on what everyone else has as an image for NFL quarterbacks[/quote]

I think the strongest quarterback in the league right now is Jay Cutler of Denver. I remember hearing that he was comparable to most defensive linemen in terms of the amount of weight that he could bench press and squat and for how many reps. I also heard that he out benched pressed many linemen and linebackers at the NFL combine last year.

Weakest Player on the field would be the kicker.

But I think Quartebacks lift weights, just in different ways. Like instead of trying to bulk they work on higher reps so they can last throught the game. Also a lot of them have great size, like Peyton Manning 6’5. So they dont need to Squat 600lbs. They also probably work on trunk/torso rotation.

Most[if not all] are stronger than the #'s you listed. Most of these guys have been lifting since early on in highschool.I remember reading Vick benching in the mid 300’s and squatting in the high 400’s-low 500’s.

One of the announcers said Ben Rothlisberger just started lifting weights.

Some of the guys lift pretty seriously. McNabb and Garcia obviouly hit the weights.

The Manning brothers look like they have never stepped in the weight room.

vinny testaverti was one of the strongest

Very Verey understandable I’d figure the Kicker would be the weakest on the field…

And another some don’t need to workout or look like they don’t (mannings) while some have to or do…

But I remember hearing not to long ago that Tiger Woods could bench over 350 pounds… which surprsied me alot… so i tried to search google and came up with
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0HFI/is_4_51/ai_60121202

scroll down to point number 6 as it was an interview with Tiger Woods

If I interpret it right that means he can bench 2.6 times his body weight?
Which really makes me think what kind of shape is he in?
especially compared to a quarterback… I realize that he is most likely not as atheletic or fast as a NFL player but maybe his bench is stronger than others?

Just some random ass thoughts I was thinking of… anyone else hear that Tiger has a pretty strong bench going for him?

[quote]brunottfn wrote:
vinny testaverti was one of the strongest[/quote]

Stronger than Culpepper or McNabb?

And I believe the bit about Jay Cutler. That dude’s got a rocket arm.

Strength is low on the priority list of making a good quarterback.

I’d bet most barely lift and when they do, it’s mostly for injury prevention.

Just for reference, in high school I went to a QB camp where Marc Bulger, then quarterback for WVU, was helping teach. One of the guys in the crowd asked him that old, “how much ya bench?”, and he said around 300. I think he was exaggerating considering he looked skinnier than my 9th grade ethiopian lookin ass.

I worked out out a place in Irving right after Babe Laufenberg retired in Dallas. He was weak as water. Very nice guy but weak.

He isn’t pro yet, but when I was watching a Notre Dame game the announcer said Brady Quinn benched 360 lbs. (it was around here, I don’t remember the exact number).

[quote]brunottfn wrote:
vinny testaverti was one of the strongest[/quote]

He loved to squat. He claims it extended his career by keeping his legs young.

Very Verey understandable I’d figure the Kicker would be the weakest on the field…

And another some don’t need to workout or look like they don’t (mannings) while some have to or do…

But I remember hearing not to long ago that Tiger Woods could bench over 350 pounds… which surprsied me alot… so i tried to search google and came up with
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0HFI/is_4_51/ai_60121202

scroll down to point number 6 as it was an interview with Tiger Woods

If I interpret it right that means he can bench 2.6 times his body weight?
Which really makes me think what kind of shape is he in?
especially compared to a quarterback… I realize that he is most likely not as atheletic or fast as a NFL player but maybe his bench is stronger than others?

Just some random ass thoughts I was thinking of… anyone else hear that Tiger has a pretty strong bench going for him?[/quote]

His max was 240 pounds. If that is 2.6 times his bodyweight as the article implies he would have weighed 92 pounds.

What I don’t get is Peyton Manning for example…
He’s huge just genetically im guessing he’s not very fast… he’s very accurate… and smart when it comes to knowing where to throw it…

Why is it that they don’t take him and get him fast so he can run out of the pocket whenever needed or avoid sacks stuff like that…

Michael Vick… very fast not the best thrower…
QB’s aren’t necessarily supposed to be amazingly fast or anything like that…
But besides injury prevention what is stopping a team from making their quarterback fast and able to throw pretty much just all around?
The QB wouldn’t become a running back but it would def. help him avoid getting destroyed by LB and defensive line…

Sorry for all this I just come from MI where the Detroit Lions are our only hope and they always leave us wondering What If?

I’d guess McNabb is one of the strongest.

He’s huge just genetically im guessing he’s not very fast… he’s very accurate… and smart when it comes to knowing where to throw it…

Why is it that they don’t take him and get him fast so he can run out of the pocket whenever needed or avoid sacks stuff like that…

But besides injury prevention what is stopping a team from making their quarterback fast and able to throw pretty much just all around?
The QB wouldn’t become a running back but it would def. help him avoid getting destroyed by LB and defensive line…

Sorry for all this I just come from MI where the Detroit Lions are our only hope and they always leave us wondering What If?[/quote]

Since when exactly has a lack of speed been a big problem for peyton manning?

I’m going with McNabb as strongest overall QB.

But arm strength, I would have to go with Brett Favre. It’s been said he can throw a football 95 MPH!!! Most guys can’t even throw a baseball that fast, and it’s so much smaller.

But I think we might have a new strongest QB pretty soon: Jamarcus Russell from LSU. He’s a BEAST, and can throw the ball 85 yards!! That’s ridiculous!

[/quote]

Because they’re quarterbacks. They’re not receivers or running backs, and they don’t have to be strong and fast.

The last thing a team needs is a Peyton Manning tearing a rotator or something bench pressing trying to get him “bigger and stronger.”

Don’t fix what ain’t broke. It amazes me that there’s still people on this site that don’t realize that not everyone needs to be able to bench press a volkswagon…especially if they’re already in the absolute top of their sport.

A quarterback like Peyton is never going to run around, just like a QB like Vick will never sit still. It’s far more mental than physical with quarterbacks.

But I remember hearing not to long ago that Tiger Woods could bench over 350 pounds… [/quote]

My uncle has met Tiger several times and told my brother and I that he’s never seen a build so impressive on a golfer before. We kinda laughed and made some snide remarks but apparently he a beast in the world of golfing physiques. Not too tough though when your competition is Arnold Palmer.

I’ve played pickup ball with Mcnabb [here in Houston] he’s a really big guy. Not muscular at all, really. Just a large human being. He was also pretty laid back and didn’t come off in the least bit arrogant.