T Nation

Strength = Muscle. A Higher Standard

DISCLAIMER: If you DISAGREE, this thread is NOT FOR YOU.

PREMISE: I am of the belief that insane workouts & levels of strength = impressive results. I do not want to have to diet, and perform 45mins of steady-state cardio 3-4x a week to maintain the physique I’m aspiring for. I’m thinking more along the lines of football player (lineback, etc.), as opposed to bodybuilder.

We all know of someone, who is an animal in the gym, does not diet, but can perform insane feats of strength, and has the physique to show for it.

SO FOR THIS THREAD

I would like to have a thread full of exercises, or full workouts, that you feel wilL guarantee an impressive physique/bodypart. For example, SQUATTING 405x10 will most likely result in an impressive pair of wheels.

My goal is to have a measuring stick of some sort, where people can strive to achieve some of these insane feats of strength/standards, and have ideas to inspire their own workouts, or come here for new ideas for a change of pace.

It could be one exercises for a certain # of reps. Could be in relation to bodyweight. Could be an entire routine for a specific bodypart. It could be a # of reps. Bodyweight exercises. Whatever.

Iâ??m thinking, BIG, STRONG & LEAN!

Benching in excess of 315lbs on a barbell…using in excess of 110lbs dumbbells for chest presses.

Curling in excess of 60lbs dumbbells for solid reps.

Squatting 4 plates a side or more.

I guess I should also say you probably won’t be doing a lot of that at a lighter body weight unless you have freak strength genetics…so obviously to get to that strength level, building that solid base of muscle is most important which usually involves working directly on increasing muscular body weight for a while…

I’ll throw a few benchmarks up…

CHEST - Bench - 315lbs - 3 sets of 8 reps
followed up by 110ish for 3+ sets of 12 reps…
SAME WORKOUT

LEGS - 315 3 sets for 10ish reps
365 - 3 sets for 6-8ish reps
405 - 5ish reps

BACK - Pullups - 3 x 8ish @+45lbs
Barbell Rows - 3x12 ish reps @ 275lbs, 8ish @ 315 -
DB Rows - 125 - 10ish reps

BI’s - BB Curl - 3 x 8ish @135lbs
DB Curl - 3 x 8ish @ 60+

TRI’s - Dips - 3 x 8 ish @+275lbs
CGB - 275 3 x 10ish

***I would say most of these should be done with a top body weight of roughly 225ish lbs. The heavier the weight, the more you’re expected to lift in relation of course.

I haven’t seen many ppl in my years of gymming lifting those types of #'s for these types of reps with non-impressive physiques. This leads to much more impressive gains in physique then powerlifting max’s type of #'s.

Deadlifts…

I’ve seen many non-impressive physiques deadlifting 4 plates. IMO, you need to deadlift at least 5 plates for at least 5+ reps to differentiate yourself from the crowd, if not even more. I haven’t seen many people dealifting 550+ tho with a top body weight of roughly 225 who did not have impressive physiques. Obviously a 550 deadlift for reps at a bodyweight of 300 is not as impressive.

[quote]Ironfreak wrote:
I haven’t seen many ppl in my years of gymming lifting those types of #'s with non-impressive physiques. [/quote]

You have to be careful with discussions like this because a bodybuilder’s idea of lifting is way different than that of a powerlifter.

When I write “60lbs dumbbells with good form” I mean having good control of the weight. A powerlifter only sees the weight and tries to lift it. he isn’t as focused on making sure his biceps do most of the load alone.

Conditioning…

Burpees - These are brutal. Most people cannot do these. If you can bang out a tabata style workout, I would think you would be in decent type of shape.

3 sets of 4 mins…
20 secs on,
10 secs off.

Or even 100 burpees in as little time as possible.

[quote]Ironfreak wrote:
Conditioning…

Burpees - These are brutal. Most people cannot do these. If you can bang out a tabata style workout, I would think you would be in decent type of shape.

3 sets of 4 mins…
20 secs on,
10 secs off.

Or even 100 burpees in as little time as possible. [/quote]

Just a note…but everyone may not get that big or that strong if they are also working on conditioning at the exact same time.

This is why there is some periodization with goals or else people just end up running in place.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]Ironfreak wrote:
I haven’t seen many ppl in my years of gymming lifting those types of #'s with non-impressive physiques. [/quote]

You have to be careful with discussions like this because a bodybuilder’s idea of lifting is way different than that of a powerlifter.

When I write “60lbs dumbbells with good form” I mean having good control of the weight. A powerlifter only sees the weight and tries to lift it. he isn’t as focused on making sure his biceps do most of the load alone.[/quote]

You’re kind of oversimplifying the powerlifting mindset.
Sure, powerlifters compete in lifting a heavy weight for one rep. Thus, in their competition lifts, when they are training heavy singles, they use less than perfect form.

However, these are compound lifts, for heavy singles. Powerlifters do rep work for compound lifts too and are able to hold form. If a smart powerlifter is doing dumbell rows, he is going to focus on using his back muscles to move the weight, not the biceps, because the upper back muscles play such an important role in all the competition lifts and the biceps don’t do anything

Your assuming that ALL powerlifting training is similar to performance in competition

[quote]Facepalm_Death wrote:

You’re kind of oversimplifying the powerlifting mindset. [/quote]

My point was to simplify the mindset. I am aware there is much more to powerlifting.

I also know most of them are less worried about their “pecs” specifically pushing the barbell up and more worried with the weight going up. I know they also focus on individual muscles…but nowhere near the degree of a bodybuilder.

[quote]Ironfreak wrote:
Conditioning…

3 sets of 4 mins…
20 secs on,
10 secs off.

Just a note…but everyone may not get that big or that strong if they are also working on conditioning at the exact same time.

This is why there is some periodization with goals or else people just end up running in place.
[/quote]

I actually agree with X here. While I think it’s flat out stupid to ever have NO conditioning in a program, you’re not always going to be in top shape conditioning wise.

Plus to the OP a tabata is only supposed to be one 4 minute round. Pretty sure I’d die trying to do it 3 times and I am in pretty good shape.

[quote]Ironfreak wrote:
Conditioning…

3 sets of 4 mins…
20 secs on,
10 secs off.

I like bodyweight tabata stuff for conditioning too. Or circuits something like:
1 set pullups
1 set dips
1 set/per leg single leg squats
repeat with little rest

but really, for conditioning I think sprints are the way to go. I’m trying to work on getting 4x400m sprints without too much rest between runs and my conditioning feels better everyday

I like widowmaker sets or complexes for conditioning too

[quote]Mtag666 wrote:

[quote]Ironfreak wrote:
Conditioning…

3 sets of 4 mins…
20 secs on,
10 secs off.

[/quote]

I actually agree with X here. While I think it’s flat out stupid to ever have NO conditioning in a program, you’re not always going to be in top shape conditioning wise.

[/quote]

Yeah.

The guy trying to bench 405, run bleachers, squat 405 and run a 40 yard dash in less than 4 seconds probably won’t get there as fast as the guy who works on some of that at a time.

Having access to a prowler sled can help both conditioning as well as strength. A couple 40 yard ‘walks’ with 300+ on it will blow your legs and lungs up.

I can’t remember his exact username, but… Alpha (the guy in the special forces) comes to mind. He did not train for bodybuilding, and would lift insane weights in circuit fashion! and was 220 shredded. The man was the complete package when it came to strength and different conditioning workouts (whether it be with bodyweight or weight circuits.)

[quote]Ironfreak wrote:
My goal is to have a measuring stick of some sort, where people can strive to achieve some of these insane feats of strength/standards, and have ideas to inspire their own workouts, or come here for new ideas for a change of pace.[/quote]
Dumbbell clean and press 75x12. It’s a challenge from the 1930s. Tons o’ fun. And that’s a strict press, no leg drive. Huge difference-maker.

From Dante:

If the most productive exercises for Bobs body is incline presses, deadlifts, dumbell curls, close grip benchs, shoulder presses, chins, calf presses, squats and leg curls, do you really think that superslow training, or other Psychoanalytical techniques are going to make Bob a superhumanly large bodybuilder? With eating enough food to get him up to every new strength and size level, and whatever else he decides, supplements, drugs, extreme stretching etc to get there the bottom line is this:

455 for 15rp on the incline bench
500 for 10 reps on the deadlift
90lb dumbell curls for 20rp
425 for 20rp on the close grip
315lbs for 15-20rp on the military
150lb rack chins for 20rp
600lb calf presses extreme stretched for 12
550 for 4-5 and 405 for 15-20 reps on the squat
the weight stack and chained plates for 15-30rp on the leg curl

IS GOING TO MAKE BOB A MONSTROUS MUSCULAR INDIVIDUAL.

Squat 4 plates for 20 reps or front squat 3 plates for 15 would make sure of serious leg development in my opinion, bench 315 for 10+ should give a pretty big chest.

[quote]Ironfreak wrote:
I can’t remember his exact username, but… Alpha (the guy in the special forces) comes to mind. He did not train for bodybuilding, and would lift insane weights in circuit fashion! and was 220 shredded. The man was the complete package when it came to strength and different conditioning workouts (whether it be with bodyweight or weight circuits.)[/quote]

yes, I actually took some ideas from his logs. Early on I thought barbell complexes couldn’t really work for adding mass but last year i stumbled across his log and tried programming in some of the complexes he used