Strength/Mass Programming Help Needed

18 years old
6'0 210 ~10%

Bench: 225x3
Squat: 315x1 raw, ATG
Dead: 405x1 raw
OHP: 135x8
Pendlay Row: 225x6

I need to gain as much weight and strength as possible in the next month or so for hs football.

Strength for me is prioritized over mass, so I need a program that is at heart a powerlifting program centered around the big 3, but weight, size, and athleticism are a must for me, so the program must also incorporate other compounds/ isolations/rep ranges associated with hypertrophy.

Estimated 4k cal, 250gs protein daily.

I prefer to have an arm day-- treating biceps/triceps as secondary muscles while they are pre fatigued has never yielded good strength or size gains. Arms are my genetic weakness.

I also need to incorporate hang cleans into the program, they are included in the football teams strength testing at the beginning of the season.

Can somebody help me outline a plan to optimize strength gain in the next month while also putting on as much size as possible?

Advice pertaining to diet, athletic performance and any other topics welcomed

Thank you.

Trying to optimize muscle mass and strength at the same time is like training for golf and boxing - you can do OK at both but neither will be great. All I can say is don’t be afraid to eat, unless you just started training it is impossible to gain muscle without gaining some fat. Lower reps are better for building strength, higher reps for muscle mass. 5x5 is somewhere in the middle, Texas method can work too. Louie Simmons trains football players too, there are colleges using the conjugate method, so that can be another option. 5/3/1 for Football sounds appropriate in your case as well - look it up, that’s the name of the book.

I wouldn’t bother with an arm day, better to bench more often and do lots of rows/chins for that, arm isolation work is lower priority. Nobody except advanced bodybuilders need a separate arm day. Just because you can’t handle the same weight for curls and tricep extensions after the main work doesn’t mean that it won’t build muscle, volume and time under tension are more important for hypertrophy than weight.

How about trying WS4SB (google it)? It’s primarily designed with football players in mind who need to add strength and muscle.

There are a few different template variations that accommodate the amount of other training you have to do (ie. whether you have frequent practices or are in the offseason).

Great, I’ll check it out

5/3/1 sounds like a pretty perfect fit for you - simple, proven to work and easily adaptable to your individual needs.

[quote]LegendaryBull wrote:
18 years old
6’0 210 ~10%

Bench: 225x3
Squat: 315x1 raw, ATG
Dead: 405x1 raw
OHP: 135x8
Pendlay Row: 225x6

I need to gain as much weight and strength as possible in the next month or so for hs football.

Strength for me is prioritized over mass, so I need a program that is at heart a powerlifting program centered around the big 3, but weight, size, and athleticism are a must for me, so the program must also incorporate other compounds/ isolations/rep ranges associated with hypertrophy.

Estimated 4k cal, 250gs protein daily.

I prefer to have an arm day-- treating biceps/triceps as secondary muscles while they are pre fatigued has never yielded good strength or size gains. Arms are my genetic weakness.

I also need to incorporate hang cleans into the program, they are included in the football teams strength testing at the beginning of the season.

Can somebody help me outline a plan to optimize strength gain in the next month while also putting on as much size as possible?

Advice pertaining to diet, athletic performance and any other topics welcomed

Thank you.
[/quote]

If I were you, I would run 5/3/1. It seems like a good fit for someone your level. You won’t be able to gain a ton of useful strength in a month, I would just prioritize hypertrophy in your programming and eat a lot of clean foods. Also, you’re probably underestimating your bodyfat percentage. 210 and 10% is pretty big. I’m saying this because I made that mistake and realized that I was fatter than I thought.