T Nation

Strength Loss After Shoulder Injury

I followed Bill Starr’s 5x5 intermediate from October till January my dead lift and squat went from 145x5 to 275x5 in that time. I messed up my shoulder in january, well I did some rack pulls today and strugled with 245x1. My 1rm squat is 240 as well… Im depressed.

My goal is health/looks however I would like to be able to lift more than the average person. I would like a dead-squat of 315x5 at bodyweight of 165-170

My question is will I get the strength gains I want by following Waterburys routines starting with ABBH-BBB-TPT-SFM-TBT etc etc and following a mass eating plan ?

dumb question, I know but Im just not motoviated seeing my gains go away so fast

srry bout my spelling , i am typing one handed right now , shouldery surgery two days ago. but what exactly did you do to your shoulder?

i dont know what size you are ? but if you are hitting platueas the best thing to do is chanhe up, or modifie and boost your calorie intake level by alot

by increasing body weight you will have a better chance of increasing strenth

if i was you i would clean up my diet, and try n eat almost double of what you were eating, just for a week or two to get your strenth back

Waterbury will work fine. Going back to 5x5 would also work fine.

I think you will find that your strength will rapidly return to its former level. It takes less time to regain than to build it in the first place. I’d be surprised if you weren’t back to your previous best in 6 weeks.

[quote]sharetrader wrote:
Waterbury will work fine. Going back to 5x5 would also work fine.

I think you will find that your strength will rapidly return to its former level. It takes less time to regain than to build it in the first place. I’d be surprised if you weren’t back to your previous best in 6 weeks.[/quote]

I second this sentiment. You could easily get back to those levels without too much straining. It will take a little time, but that might not be a bad thing as you’ll likely need to get back into the groove with squatting and pulling anyway.

Thanks for the response.