Strength Lifting Meets?

Either way, that guy is strong. Imagine putting almost 6x your bodyweight on your back.

Iā€™m not saying he isnā€™t strong, Iā€™m just saying thereā€™s barely any ROM. Thatā€™s exactly what powerlifting is. Thatā€™s why Lamar Gant still owns the low weight class deadlift record, same with Woolam. Itā€™s a game of leverages. So why not be able to go out collar to collar?

Then it wouldnā€™t be a lift. Itā€™s still required for a down, pause, and press, so heā€™d still have to adjust for that.

Thatā€™s my point, even if you move the bar one inch you still lifted it. If you unrack it and hold it against your chest with elbow locked or wedge yourself under a bar on the floor with your knees locked and shoulders back then there is no lifting going on. As for why not grip at the collars, apparently this issue came up when powerlifting first started and 81cm was decided as the max legal width. Iā€™m fine with standard powerlifting rules the way they currently are, any changes as have been proposed in this thread are not going to make things better in my opinion.

I say make it that you can start in the sumo position, but the lift has to end at conventional. Similar to split jerk rules in the Olympics. Fair play really. You can do the same thing with the bench.

1 Like

One thing that people tend to overlook is that powerlifting isnā€™t exactly a competition to see who is the strongest, it is about who can lift the most weight in accordance with certain rules. Of course a bench press where the bar barely moves doesnā€™t really demonstrate much aside from flexibility, but strength is still the limiting factor. If it bothers you then find another sport.

Life ainā€™t fair. Take a look at this:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BhM7SuuFWVH/?taken-by=brady_cable
Also note that he pulled 722 the other day and only benched 314.

Care to demonstrate this technique for us? With maximal weights of course.

Thatā€™d be easy, because maximal weight for sumo for me will be like 66lbs.

1 Like

Thatā€™s the thing, people who donā€™t like sumo suck at it. I only switched to sumo after fucking up my back pulling conventional and it took a while for it to catch up. I still suck at deadlifting, my squat in wraps might actually be slightly ahead of my sumo deadlift. Itā€™s only easier for certain people.

But I donā€™t dislike sumo. I never do it; Iā€™ve got no reason to dislike it.

1 Like

Now i am reminded why I have lost my drive for pure powerlifting.

2 Likes