Strength Lifting Meets?

I don’t see the difference between post and pre weigh ins except that pre-weigh ins would give people hope to cut and regain. If it is post competition, then I think that most people would give up on the whole weight cutting idea.

That being said, I think Rippe would kick someone out of the competition if he thought they were cutting so much that they were in an unhealthy state. He has never said that but after having watched enough of his videos, I get the feeling that he would do that.

Whatever. I’d just like to know the actual weight of the people doing the records.

By chance, have you ever competed in a weight class sport?

Just take the weight class the record was set in and assume they walk around the next class up. Usually a safe bet.

You don’t appear to know anything at all, you just give a bunch of uninformed opinions. It is better to be thought a fool and remain silent rather than to speak and remove all doubt.

1 Like

Does Yuri Belkin get a special prize for not cutting weight and setting records?

Yes, I have. Now that we are done attacking my credentials, I’d rather you post the reasons as to why I am wrong instead of trying to find a weakness in my experiences. I don’t know if what I said is true. I feel that it is, but I don’t have hard stats to back it up. That being said, all that has been said here is that people would stay dehydrated the whole time through with nothing to back it up.

I am not trying to start a fight, but I am a little tired of the “you haven’t done this or done it as long as I have so you don’t know what you are talking about and shouldn’t say anything until you agree with me” mentality from people on this website (like Chris_ottawa). That being said, I don’t agree with what ya’ll have said and I am offering a different experience to ya’lls own. I probably surround myself with different people and my sport, boxing, is, no doubt, different than Weight lifting competitions.

It would be nice if we could just talk with each other instead of berating each other.

I agree, and that is what I was doing. My question was a question, not an attack. I am attempting a conversation with you based off shared experiences.

Which sport did you compete in?

1 Like

I boxed for a decade before my car accident. I boxed in the military and then in the amateurs. Now, I am working back into boxing but I realized I can’t do the same workouts as before so I have started strength training to see if it can help me, which it seems to be doing the job.

I boxed as a heavyweight and then as a super heavyweight.

Did you ever have same day weigh ins within an hour or so of competing? We did in HS wrestling, and I saw a LOT of dehydrated wrestlers wrestling.

Yes, we did have that, but it is heavily discouraged to cut more than a few lbs. On an even playing field, they usually didn’t win. If they were fighting someone who they were vastly superior too in terms of boxing skill, then it almost didn’t matter, they would always win.

I remember doctors refusing to let some people compete because they looked terrible/unhealthy. That is in the Gulf Region though.

Exactly, because of safety concerns to the athlete. And as you noted, a doctor needed to be called in explicitly because athletes WILL try to cut unsafe amounts of weight to get an advantage. Unless strengthlifting wants to go in a similar approach as combat sports and have athletes evaluated by a medical professional prior to competing (which will make meets take even LONGER), the protections will be less in place, and results will be pretty bad.

Add onto this the aforementioned issues about not even knowing WHO you’re competing against, and weigh outs become even sillier. With strengthlifting, the best strategy so far is to only take 1 attempt at deads so you can spend the rest of the meet dehydrating yourself before weigh outs, assuming you want to set some sort of record.

I just see it trying to fix a problem that doesn’t exist.

1 Like

Whenever they make the weigh ins, sharp-shooter dudes will find a way to play the angles and get an advantage.

The rules can change, to try to be Safer, but guys will always game the system in unsafe ways.

1 Like

I like it more. I hope it leads to these guys realizing that they can’t compete well enough because they are too dehydrated to do well.

They most likely will realize it by getting injured or dying. I don’t see a positive there.

I just don’t know why people want to make weigh ins so complicated. The WPO figured this out a decade ago. 72 hour weigh ins. Cut as much as you want, come back fully recovered and put on a great show lifting big weights.

I find people super against weight cutting tend to just be people that are bad at it. And if you don’t want to cut weight, you can always just get stronger. That is the path I have picked for strongman.

2 Likes

I think 72 is a little ridiculous. People often make long drives to compete in a meet and can’t afford to take so many days off work for that.

You don’t HAVE to weigh in 72 hours ahead. You can always weigh in the day of the meet if you want.

For the WPO though, since you were getting paid, it worked out well.

I see some comments got deleted, maybe we should try to remain civil. The problem here is that you are preaching about a sport that you have never competed in and obviously know little about. I don’t see any elite lifters complaining about people cutting weight, and they are the ones who should be concerned. How does it affect you if someone cuts weight and sets a world record or wins a high level meet? If you aren’t at that level yourself it is of no relevance to you. You won’t see me in a boxing forum telling people that such and such rule needs to be changed, it isn’t my sport, I don’t compete in boxing, and I recognize that actual boxers should have more knowledge of their sport and will be affected by the rules unlike me.

You said it yourself, you don’t know anything about powerlifting and are just imagining things the way you think they should be.

I like it my bench sucks so would like to do one