Strength is a Hell of a Drug

I love when my neighbors stare at me with my little sled and harness get-up.

Sounds like a hell of a workout!

Husband snapped a pic of the new sled getting some love last night. Not even street legal. I live dangerously.

[quote]Seachel_25 wrote:
I love when my neighbors stare at me with my little sled and harness get-up.

Sounds like a hell of a workout![/quote]

I can only assume I’m getting stares of amusement, but I pretend they’re all super jealous. Insert LOlz here.

I do think I put more ass into it if I know I’m being watched/judged :slight_smile:

5/20/2014

Bench (superset w/wall slides x10)
bar x 10 (warmup)
85 x 5
95 x 5
105 x 5
115 x 3 easy.
125 x 3 these weren’t fast, but not grinders either.
really happy with my bench today.

Hang clean (no superset)
75 x 5
85 x 5
95 x 5
105 x 4

Front squat (KB shrug 53# x10)
There was literally a guy curling an empty bar in the squat rack. I shit you not. I was embarassed for him so I didn’t ask him to move. I got one more rep on my hang cleans for the following:
75 x 8
85 x 8
95 x 8
105 x 8

GM (TRX reverse fly x10)
75 x 8
85 x 8
95 x 8
105 x 8

Trap bar carries in the parking lot. Beautiful sunny evening.
185#, 35 yards, x8
Thought I was going to split my left palm on the second to last one. False alarm.

Hey, there’s no stopping to dig through your neighbors’ mail. Keep pushing the sled.

[quote]twojarslave wrote:
Hey, there’s no stopping to dig through your neighbors’ mail. Keep pushing the sled.[/quote]

HA! I stuffed my towel in my mailbox in case I got the flu :slight_smile:

My atlas stone egged out a bit. No problem, it’s still very useable. Haven’t weighed it yet. It’s just hanging out in the driveway, looking droopy. I’ll play with it this weekend.

5/22/2015

Traps are all lit up after the loaded carries on Tuesday.

Squat (superset w/lateral hip swings x10/side)
bar x 10 ATG (warm-up)
115 x 5 ATG
135 x 5
155 x 5
185 x 3
205 x 3

Dips (superset w/weighted hammie slider curl 38# x10)
5, 5, 5, 5, 5

Stificits (standing on 2 plates, about 3")
95 x 6
115 x 6
135 x 6
155 x 6

Stiffies supersetted w/SA DB row
35’s x 8/side
40’s x 6
45’s x 6 x 2

Conditioning: Ladder of treadmill hill sprints
15% incline
Intervals and speeds similar to last week. These were tough tonight. Not enough carbs, I think.

edit: corrected deficit height

5/23/2014

Conditioning circuit.
I swung a 20lb sledgehammer for the first time today (repeatedly) and didn’t look like a beginner. Winning.

5/24/2014

Didn’t train this weekend, but I did manage to grow my home gym.

Bought a second set of collars and my first block of chalk. Then went to Tractor Supply to pick up one of their rubber stall mats, and it was on sale for $36.99. Shwing!

After TSC we were driving by an actual tractor dealer, and I said to my dude “pull in there so I can ask if they’ll give me some big tires”. The store was closed. But lucky me, they were having a yard sale out back. I gave the guy my number, and he said he’d love to not have to pay to get rid of some tires. They didn’t have any that day, but he’ll call me when he has some…

And then we browsed, naturally.

For my gym I got 19’ of big heavy chain (one piece weighs 14.2#, the other 17.2#), a set of 4 football pylons (to mark distances for sled drags/carries), and a really cool old pulley that I’ll probably use to make a pull-down attachment. Bought a bunch of other cool shit, too. Solid haul.

5/25/2014

Weighed my atlas egg, It’s 84.4#
Bought what I need to try making one using the plaster of paris method. We’ll see.

5/26/2014

Worked on my farmers handles today and welded up one of my gym’s sleds. I said I didn’t train all weekend, and I punished myself for that on this day. I’m a girl of many projects and I’ve started gutting an Airstream. Over the last couple of weekends I’ve removed the interior and there was absolutely nothing worth saving. Today I hand carried all 28’ worth of walls/cabinets/bunks about 40 yards to the fire pit.

And I drank a bunch of beers. The end.

5/27/2014

Bench (superset w/wall slides x10)
bar x 10 (warmup)
95 x 5
105 x 5 these felt hard
115 x 5 (rep PR)
125 x 3
130 x 2 back to pre-meet strength levels with better conditioning.
can’t be sad about that.

had an idea here… noticed that my weights for hang cleans and front squats was always the same. why not superset those and nix the shrugs since I also do trap bar carries on bench night. and while we’re at it, why bother putting the bar down after the set of cleans…

Hang clean/Front Squat
75 x 5/8
85 x 5/8
95 x 5/8
105 x 3/8

GM (TRX reverse fly x10)
85 x 8
95 x 8
105 x 8
115 x 8

Trap bar carries
205#, 30 yards, x8

felt like i had a couple more in me. maybe 225 next week?

Nice strong lifting going on here lady!
You definitely have 225 in ya!

:slight_smile:
_Mel

[quote]melanieamber12 wrote:
Nice strong lifting going on here lady!
You definitely have 225 in ya!

:slight_smile:
_Mel[/quote]

Thanks, Mel! Loaded carries are feeling pretty awesome. I wish I had started doing them sooner!

5/29/2015

bar x 10 ATG (warm-up)
135 x 5
155 x 5
185 x 5
205 x 3
215 x 2

Dips (superset w/weighted hammie slider curl 38# x12)
6, 6, 6, 6, 6

Stificits (standing on 2 plates, about 3")
115 x 6
135 x 6
155 x 6
185 x 6

Stiffies supersetted w/SA DB row
40’s x 8/side
45’s x 6 x 3

Conditioning: Hamstrings didn’t want to sprint, so jump rope x600

5/30/2014

So.
Hospital cafeteria tamales are to be avoided henceforth.
Didn’t think I could make the hour drive to the circuit, the circuit, and the hour ride home without shitting myself. I had my gym duds at work and have been itching to see how far I can go on a Bruce protocol.
Less than 24 hours out from a leg day, dehydrated, toilet-bound, should be delightful… no?

Managed 15:40. Not too shabby. I’d like to see how I could do if I was,you know, fresh.

Was going to try some stone carries tonight but it started raining. I’ve got a dirt driveway. This being my first attempt at lapping and carrying I didn’t figure that could end well. Sounds like all the makings of one of those crossfit fail videos. Not me, not now.

6/2/2014

“Ermahgerd! Tehrs!”

Like a kid on Christmas, couldn’t even finish my workout because TIRES. I was taking delivery last night. Been waiting patiently about 6 weeks, not being a nagging bitch, and my buddy fiiiinally got them. I did a little extra DL volume and cut accessory work short. Besides, I haven’t played the ‘jack-shit’ card in a while.

Conv. DL, reset each rep (superset w/band pull-aparts x10)
77 x 10 (warmup)
133 x 5
155 x 5
177 x 5
199 x 5
221 x 3 (switch to mixed grip here, and done w/superset)
232 x 1 x 3

OHP (no superset)
45 x 8
56 x 6
68 x 6
79 x 6
84.5 x 3

84.4# stone carry
50yd x 2
40yd x 2
30yd x 2

The first one, I tried lapping the stone, but found it to be a waste of time and energy. I’ll need to make a bigger rock, for sure. Video is my second 50yd carry. Felt pretty good.

Went to get my tires. One I can flip pretty fast, and another that I have to use my knees to help with. It’s almost as tall as me.

I flipped it a handful of times before my dogs came out of the woods with faces full of quills.

Those poor bastards.

Fuck. my. life.

Found out what my Michelins weigh today.

For anyone who cares…

Small tire is 282#
14.00 R25 (385/95R25)

Big tire is 444#
16.00 R25 (445/95R25)

The big tire is the one in the video.

Here’s my source. Looks legit.
http://www.doublecointires.com/files/0246_cma_otr_databook_r8.pdf

My grandfather always told me that you’ll know who your real friends are once you start asking around for derelict crane tires and one of them pulls through for you.

That’s pretty sweet. My buddy Dan has graduated to a 1000# tire that he does some odd 30 frickin’ flips with. I want to give it a try. He calls it his caveman workout, outside at his sisters’ horse ranch. Flips, chain drags, and carries of all sorts. Workboots and scrubby clothes he says!

Lookin’ strong Girl!

S/F

Al

[quote]twojarslave wrote:
My grandfather always told me that you’ll know who your real friends are once you start asking around for derelict crane tires and one of them pulls through for you.

[/quote]

Exactly. The dude loaded them by himself on the trailer and drove them all the way up from Everett, Mass. If your grandpa is right, we may well be besties at this point.
Your grandpa sounds like a classy guy. My grandma always told me she wanted to rip off grandpa’s head and shit in the hole. She was the best.

6/4/2014

Flipped my small tire about 6 times because I wanted it stacked on top of my big tire. Covered them with a tarp to try to keep the skeeters from laying all their eggs inside.

6/5/2014

My trainer wasn’t at the gym tonight. I get picky about squat spotters, and I didn’t know if I could trust the basketball skills/conditioning coach for that job. Decided not to risk it and just did what I knew I could handle for sets of 5.

Also was informed when I arrived (at 5:15) that there would be a yoga sesh starting at 6. Awesome. I had to rearrange my workout order and supersets so I wasn’t smashing weights around while the waify boys find their chakra, or whateverthefuck these touchy-feely hippies do while they’re stretching.
Just kidding, I’m probably going to try yoga soon, but tonight wasn’t it.
I tried to save the quietest shit for last.

Bar x 10 ATG (warmup)
135 x 5
145 x 5
155 x 5
165 x 5
175 x 5
185 x 5

Stificits 3"(no superset, the yoga chick just walked in…)
115 x 6
135 x 6
155 x 6
185 x 6

Here’s where she turned off all the music and everyone started meditating. You could hear a pin drop. I was the only one not participating. It was so fucking awkward trying to not breathe heavy and disrupt/distract them.

Dips / SA DB row
6 / 45s x 6/side
6 / 45s x 6/side
6 / 45s x 6/side
6 / 50s x 6/side
6 / 50s x 6/side

Conditioning wasn’t happening. I didn’t even want to shake my protein while still in the building.

I couldn’t leave fast enough.

[quote]CATMAL wrote:
That’s pretty sweet. My buddy Dan has graduated to a 1000# tire that he does some odd 30 frickin’ flips with. I want to give it a try. He calls it his caveman workout, outside at his sisters’ horse ranch. Flips, chain drags, and carries of all sorts. Workboots and scrubby clothes he says!

Lookin’ strong Girl!

S/F

Al[/quote]

Thanks, CATMAL! 1000#?, holy mackerel! Caveman, indeed.
It’ll be a while before I outgrow these measly little things :slight_smile:

6/6/2014
Conditioning circuit

This weekend I got a couple more things done for my gym…
Picked up some carabiners and straps to do different sled stuff. I made a belt with heavy D-rings for pulling things and chins/dips. And got started on some attachments do dips on my sled, those are gonna be sweet. And I noticed some spots on the sled flash-rusting so I wire-wheeled every inch of the frame and hit it with primer since my favorite kind was on sale. It was beautiful so I was mostly outside playing with my dogs. We had a bonfire with friends over and I ate my weight in smores. What a great weekend.

6/9/2014
First full deadlift workout in a couple of weeks.
Conventional Deads (superset w/band pull aparts x10)
95 x 8
139 x 5
161 x 5
183 x 5
205 x 3 mixed grip
227 x 3
238 x 1 quit superset.
was taking plates off and felt like deadlifting.
183 x 5
183 x 5

Seated OHP (superset w/65# ez bar lunges 6/side)
Bugs were so thick I had to do (almost) everything in the garage.
I thought the plates might hit the ceiling so I sat. It was harder.
45 x 8
56 x 6
68 x 6
79 x 4
84.5 x 3 I stood up for this set because I was assured by a trusted source that I wouldn’t fuck up the ceiling. It’s the only reason I got 3.

Wide grip (the widest on my shitty doorway setup) pull ups
(superset w/stir the pot x15/side)
4, 4, 4, 4, 4

Stone carries (outside, obvi)
84.4#, 40-50 yards, x6
These went fast. The bugs were unreal. I only didn’t notice them when carrying, so I didn’t rest much.

TLDR…

After a lengthy sit-down talk with myself, I’ve made a decision to let go of a goal. I don’t like to be one of those flaky bitches who’s always changing her mind. I do what I say I’m going to do.

The only time I give a damn what anyone thinks of me is when it comes to my integrity.

That being said, I also have a compulsive personality. I get an obsession and I’m as good as gone with it. I’ve been setting goals and smashing them for two years now. It’s what has kept me driven to continue my good habits.
At this point in the game, working out and eating right have become my lifestyle. Do I really need to keep chasing PL numbers aggressively to keep myself in the gym? Nope. Sure don’t.

Sometimes goals can be so limiting.

This is very likely going to be the last child-free Summer of my life. Oh my fucking God. I don’t want my only memory of this last Summer alone with my husband to be perfect gym attendance. And hustling/stressing to make sure I don’t miss any reps or sets. And driving an hour each way to/from my gym every day. And not hanging out with my dogs as much as I could have.

I guess my give-a-damn is busted. I just want lifting to be fun again. I don’t want to feel guilty if I miss a squat night to go kayaking.
My ultimate goal was just to get strong as fuck. I can still do that. And even better… I can do it outside in the sunshine, at home, with equipment I can make myself. I’m way more pumped about strongman than I ever have been about PL and I want to experiment with more strongman shit in my program.

My end of year training goals remain 250/150/300. I’m just taking off the pressure of finding another meet that’s timed right, making a certain weight class, hitting specific numbers every night, never missing a workout, etc.

There you have it. I feel better about training already.

6/10/2014

I came to the above decision on my way to the gym after a particularly inconvenient afternoon and told my trainer. He’s psyched for strongman stuff. I had a really good training sesh, even skipping one of my supersets due to time constraints. It was awesome not giving a shit.

Bench (superset with wall slides x 10)
bar x 10 (warmup)
95 x 5
105 x 5
115 x 4
115 x 5
105 x 5
104 x 4 triceps are burnt out

Hang cleans/Front squats
65 x 5/8
75 x 5/8
85 x 5/8
95 x 5/8

Trap bar carries
225#, 30 yards, x8

This is a really cool log btw.

I can relate a lot to what you are talking about in that post. I’ve always found that the closer a meet gets, the less fun my training becomes. In fact it gets pretty miserable. I would get sick to my stomach for the whole day at work leading up to a training session if I had a certain weight/rep I needed to hit on one of the main lifts. And if I miss a weight in training or, God forbid, in a meet, my whole fucking week at a minimum is ruined.

I think you’re making a great call with everything you said. Keep up the strongperson training, but for Christ’s sake make yourself a heavier stone :wink:

Ever hear of Milo of Croton?

He’s a dead Greek who got really strong by carrying a cow on his back every day from the day it was born until it was time to slaughter it. You could do the same thing with your child to stay fit and strong. By the time he’s 22 or 23 you could be doing loaded carries with a 220 pound man.

One small difference is that you may just want to force your child to move out of your house instead of slaughtering him. But hey, I’m not going to tell you how to raise your kid.