Strength is a Hell of a Drug

4/10/2014
Conditioning circuit

4/11/2014
Conditioning circuit

I’m doing these until I feel right. I’ll know it when I get there. If there’s one thing about this lifestyle change that has surprised me the most is how much more in tune with my body I feel.

4/12/2014
Worked on my sled, all that’s left is skis and paint! I bought all remaining supplies save for paint this morning, then got cozy with the grinder until I could take no more, about 3 hours. Fuck. Anyways, it’s looking brutal and I can’t wait to finish it. Fabricating skis tomorrow, then at least I can use it. Paint can happen whenever. Any suggestions for color? I have too many favorites…

I’m going to have arguably the best ass in the neighborhood. Hell yes.

Was supposed to get a massage today but my lady has sick babies and had to cancel. Balls. I could really use a rub-down.

[quote]Mighty Matron wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
You’re as cute as a button. I love the swim suit.[/quote]

And you’re as strong as an ox. I love the squat suit :wink:

P.S. Thank you. Giving that Miranda Kerr a run for her money, I’m sure. So vacuous, yet so alluring…
[/quote]

I think that was my sexy single you were looking at. If I were wearing a squat suit, half my ass wouldn’t be hanging out :). I’m buying a Titan singlet with longer legs. That was my 23rd meet and the first time I’ve gotten the spotters view point.

You went from chunky chic (with a cute face), to emaciated runner chic, to kick-ass powerlifter chic in 18-or-so months! That’s quite a body and lifestyle transformation. Most people wouldn’t do that in a lifetime, let alone the span of months.

Pretty amazing but I imagine you found something more than physical strength through this process;)

S/F

Al

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
I think that was my sexy single you were looking at. If I were wearing a squat suit, half my ass wouldn’t be hanging out :). I’m buying a Titan singlet with longer legs. That was my 23rd meet and the first time I’ve gotten the spotters view point.
[/quote]

Oh man, I was more nervous about camel toe than missing rack commands. I bought a special pair of running shorts to wear under my singlet so my ‘cash and prizes’ wouldn’t be on display. Luckily I’ve got short stubby legs so singlets will always be long enough.

I’m sure the spotter wasn’t complaining :slight_smile:

[quote]CATMAL wrote:
You went from chunky chic (with a cute face), to emaciated runner chic, to kick-ass powerlifter chic in 18-or-so months! That’s quite a body and lifestyle transformation. Most people wouldn’t do that in a lifetime, let alone the span of months.

Pretty amazing but I imagine you found something more than physical strength through this process;)

S/F

Al[/quote]

Thank you, CATMAL. It has been one hell of a ride. I’ve always been independent and insatiable, so powerlifting seems to be the perfect sport for me. We’ll see where it goes :slight_smile:

Paint can wait. This has been weeks in the making and looks fucking beastly. Weighs 91# without plates on it. And it cost me about $100 to make.

In. yo. face.

4/14/2014
Conditioning circuit

Trainer (mid-circuit): “How are the heart and lungs feeling?”
Me: “Far better than my intestines, buddy.”

“Box squat to toilet” might as well have been a station in the circuit. We did 6 rounds. You can imagine.

Paint can wait. This has been weeks in the making and looks fucking beastly. Weighs 91# without plates on it. And it cost me about $100 to make.

In. yo. face.[/quote]

nice work! looks like it’ll bust your ass. painting it blood red?

[quote]silverblood wrote:

In. yo. face.[/quote]

nice work! looks like it’ll bust your ass. painting it blood red?[/quote]

Thanks! I’m pretty psyched.

Brought it to the gym for some test runs. Give the boys a chance to beat the shit out of it for a couple of weeks. Want to make sure there aren’t any problems with the thing to fix before I paint. I haven’t decided on color yet. I have a few cans of a metallic dark teal automotive paint on hand, but it needs to look mean. Teal is like a tranquil caribbean vacation. Blood red sounds awesome, actually… might hide the stains better :slight_smile:

4/15/2014
Conditioning circuit

Starting to get my groove back, more athletic. I almost forgot what it felt like to be really sweaty. Satisfying.

Also, appetite is noticeably less with no heavy lifting and 4 nights/week of metcons. Holding steady at 152#.

“Box squat to toilet” might as well have been a station in the circuit. We did 6 rounds. You can imagine.[/quote]
I enjoyed this.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

“Box squat to toilet” might as well have been a station in the circuit. We did 6 rounds. You can imagine.[/quote]
I enjoyed this.[/quote]

I’m glad :slight_smile:
It’s all shits and giggles… until someone giggles and shits.

4/17/2014
Didn’t make it to the gym because my dogs were dilly-dallying at the vet.

4/18/2014
Conditioning circuit

And today, still have really sore delts from last Friday (seated DB lateral raises were on the menu). Bummed that there’s no one at work today that I can bitch about DOMS with. First world problems, I suppose.

I swear I’m not trying to bump my thread with this crap, but this won’t go in my handwritten diary. Just want to remember how many I did once I go back to strength training. Which will be in two weeks-ish.

4/21/2014
Conditioning circuit

4/22/2014
Skipped… gut pains.

4/24/2014
Conditioning circuit

Felt awesome tonight. Smoke show. The 'ol girl still has it.

4/25/2014
Conditioning circuit

4/26/2014
Went for the Saturday circuit. 9am. It was crowded. I’m not a morning workout person. Nor am I a people person. Head down, push through. This was 30 minutes, as many rounds as possible (while maintaining quality movements), no breaks:
Started with 1/2 mile run to warm up.

DB curls x10
Max effort treadmill sprint x10 seconds
Heavy KB swing x12 (I used a 70#)
32" box jump x10
Burpees x5. (Edit: BURPEES. Auto correct had changed it to ‘burped’ x5. HA!)

I did 10.5 rounds. Lapping people. Good sweat. Felt amazeballs.

It’s a rainy shitty Saturday here in the Northeast kingdom. So much netflix and naps to get done today. Life is tough.

5/12/2014

Back to lifting after four weeks of conditioning followed by vacation. I was a complete pile of shit for the last two weeks. It was glorious.

It was too nice of a day to want to spent a couple of hours in the car on the way to the gym and back, so I opted to get it done in my driveway. I kept the weights pretty manageable since I wasn’t sure where my strength levels would be.

Deads (superset w/band pull aparts x10)
90 x 10 (warmup)
112 x 5
134 x 5
156 x 5
178 x 3 stopped here for a bugspray break. fuckers are brutal.
200 x 3 (mixed grip)

Strict OHP (superset w/70# e-z bar lunges x6/side)
45 x 10 (warmup)
56 x 6
68 x 6
73.5 x 5
79 x 3.5 could have push-pressed that last one, really wanted 4.

Cleaning the ez curl bar was awkward. Not as inconvenient as loading and unloading my only olympic bar every set though.

The lunges were the worst. Ass was toast after those.

NG chins (superset w/body saw x10)
5, 5, 5, 4, 4

Ran 1.1 mi loop with 3# dumbells in each hand. Things were going as well as they could until 3/4 mi when I thought a side stitch would take me down. I walked 100ft then ran again once it was gone. Pussy.

Finisher was to carry about 25ft of WET 1 1/2" rope up to my second story back deck to dry. See, I was looking for yard sales last weekend. Didn’t find a single one. But I did notice this pile of rope on the side of the road for free. Hell yeah, I’ll take that! It was grimy so I soaked it in some simple green, brushed it off, rinsed it, and now my home gym has a big rope.

Just call me the milkman, 'cause I’m always delivering.

I like your style, not to mention your great work. The naive and well-intentioned part of me wants to show your log to my girlfriend, but the older, wiser part of me knows that would not end well. Not well at all.

Black flies suck. They are relentless.

Keep up the good work and happy summer to you!

[quote]twojarslave wrote:
I like your style, not to mention your great work. The naive and well-intentioned part of me wants to show your log to my girlfriend, but the older, wiser part of me knows that would not end well. Not well at all.

[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words, Mr. Mustardayonnaise! It sounds like your girl’s not super psyched to hear about your workouts, nevermind mine. She’ll come around eventually. Trust me, I have experience with that. You’re doing awesome, and have such a great attitude. Keep it up!
(Sorry. I’ve been creeping your log since you’re, you know… local :slight_smile:

5/13/2014

Hurting something fierce today. I can tell I lifted yesterday. Tomorrow, things will get ugly.

Bench (superset w/wall slides x10)
bar x 10 (warmup)
65 x 5
85 x 5
95 x 5
105 x 3
115 x 3 went up fast. feeling good about that.

Hang clean (no superset)
65 x 5
75 x 5
85 x 5
95 x 5

FS (DB shrug 50’s x10)
65 x 8
75 x 8
85 x 8
95 x 8

GM (TRX reverse fly x10)
65 x 8
75 x 8
85 x 8
95 x 8

Trap bar carries
135#, 50-60 yards, x4 Awesome. We’ll add weight next time.

Again, keeping weights reasonable this week. No MaxEffortDickMeasuring. Just trying to not be so sore and immobile that I can’t get 4 solid workouts that I can be proud of this week. Having a hard time getting back into my rhythm after two weeks off. A strong week in the gym will turn it around.

This cycle trying to increase speed and overall workout intensity.
Part of that will involve decreasing rest time between sets.
Another part will be changing and adding a few assistance movements.
Also making post-workout conditioning mandatory. I can pick whatever, but it must be done. Let’s see if I can’t maintain the conditioning I’ve been fighting so hard for.

[/quote]
Thanks for the kind words, Mr. Mustardayonnaise! It sounds like your girl’s not super psyched to hear about your workouts, nevermind mine. She’ll come around eventually. Trust me, I have experience with that. You’re doing awesome, and have such a great attitude. Keep it up!
(Sorry. I’ve been creeping your log since you’re, you know… local :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Thanks. You’re a seriously badass lady.

My girl is sorta coming around about the whole process, but I’ve sorta stopped talking about it all the damn time too. Not driving her crazy with a bunch of jibber-jabber about deadlifting and squatting that she doesn’t relate to at all was probably a good move on my part. I also got in a little 'rassling type of scuffle with a cracked-out drunk last week, came out on top and I think that sort of flipped some switch in her.

“Keep lifting those weights”, she said on the ride home.

I’ll take it.

You and I may share the distinction of being the least tan people in our respective workout log sections. Fucking pale-ass Yankees looking like we live in caves, which is not too far off the mark this year. I don’t know about you, but I am ready for some sun and warmth.

Thanks. You’re a seriously badass lady.

My girl is sorta coming around about the whole process, but I’ve sorta stopped talking about it all the damn time too. Not driving her crazy with a bunch of jibber-jabber about deadlifting and squatting that she doesn’t relate to at all was probably a good move on my part. I also got in a little 'rassling type of scuffle with a cracked-out drunk last week, came out on top and I think that sort of flipped some switch in her.

“Keep lifting those weights”, she said on the ride home.

I’ll take it.

You and I may share the distinction of being the least tan people in our respective workout log sections. Fucking pale-ass Yankees looking like we live in caves, which is not too far off the mark this year. I don’t know about you, but I am ready for some sun and warmth. [/quote]

Glad to hear she’s appreciating some of the fringe benefits! Nice job diffusing what could always be an ugly situation at the bar. My devoted husband wasn’t always pumped about all my extracurriculars. I explained that I didn’t need him to participate in those things, just pretend to be excited if I’m proud of something I did. Once he saw how crushing goals changed my attitude about life his pride and excitement became genuine. He really is Mr. Wonderful, I don’t mean to make him sound like a douche. He just didn’t understand at first. Now that I’m building a home gym, he wants me to write him a program. Awesome.

5/14/2014

Rest day. Thank you, Jesus. I can’t remember the last time my body was so wrecked all over. Felt like I’d been in a car accident. Brutal.

5/15/2014

Fantastic day. Got out of work early, found a four leaf clover, had a great workout, ate a big ribeye, drank some beers. Solid living right there, folks.

Squat (superset w/lateral hip swings x10/side)
bar x 10 ATG (warm-up)
95 x 5 ATG
115 x 5 ATG
135 x 5 ATG
155 x 3 ATG
185 x 3 competition depth

Dips (superset w/weighted hammie slider curl 38# x8)
4, 4, 4, 4, 4

Stiff-legged deficit DL (standing on plate)
95 x 6
115 x 6
135 x 6
155 x 6

I’m going to start calling those ‘stificits’

Stiffies were supersetted w/SA DB row
30’s x 8
35’s x 6 x 2
40’s x 6

Conditioning: Ladder of treadmill hill sprints
10% incline
intervals: 10 sec, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 35, 30, 25, 20, 15, 10
rest periods: the same as the preceeding sprint.
speed: 9mph, 8.5, 8, 7.5, 7, 6.5, 6, 6.5, 7, 7.5, 8, 8.5, 9

Also, the home gym is shaping up to be a strongman gym. It’s what I originally wanted to train for when I started but due to accessibility and a desire to have a solid strength base built first I chose powerlifting. I have several pieces of equipment in the works (farmers handles, an axle, and a log) and I’m going to attempt to make a 12" atlas stone this weekend using a method I dreamed up myself. We’ll see how that ends. I’m psyched.

5/16/2014
Conditioning circuit

5/17/2014
Slept shitty last night, woke up bitchy and lethargic. Dragged myself to the Saturday morning circuit to turn my frown upside-down. Same as the last Saturday I did, except I got 11 rounds this time. Then was told to do 600 jump-rope touches. Buzz-kill.

In other news I got started on my atlas stone. It’s going to be lighter than I had anticipated, I guess my balls weren’t as big as I thought. I hear that’s a common problem around here. It’ll be a 12" so around 60-65#ish if I’m successful. Good starter stone for sure.

5/19/2014

Lifted at home again. I think this might become a habit on Mondays. It’s the only night I have everything I need and fuck driving 45 minutes each way to the gym.
It was windy, so no bugs. Bonus.

Conventional Deads (superset w/band pull aparts x10 or 11 or 12. Whatev.)
90 x 10 (warmup)
134 x 5
156 x 5
178 x 5
200 x 3 (mixed grip)
222 x 3

Strict OHP (superset w/65# e-z bar lunges x6/side)
45 x 8
56 x 5
68 x 5
73.5 x 3
79 x 5 went for AMRAP

Started to look like rain. I knew I wouldn’t want to push my sled in wet shoes later. So I got it done right here in the middle of my workout…

Got my sled out to the road.
Neighborkid looks curious. Asks what the hell that is.
A weight sled.
For your dogs?
No. For me. Give it a shove.
He did. He liked it. Now he’s a neighborMAN.

Sled vs. asphalt 125#, 20yd, x10 (half on low handles/half on uprights)

Then I had to go finish this shit:
NG chins (superset w/stir the pot x15/side)
4, 4, 4, 4, 4

I could smell dinner cooking the whole time. Torture.