Strength in Bodybuilding vs Powerlifting

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:
undesired08 wrote:
Doesn’t say what meet, but this is part of an interview with JJ:

[ Q ] For the record, what are your best lifts?

At that one show I did a 2127 pound total, for the three lifts. In competition, I've deadlifted 814 pounds, and I weigh 216 pounds. That was three weeks before the Nationals. My best squat so far is 826 pounds. This year I was headed to break 900 pounds, but that will have to weight until next year.

Holy crap. That’s freakin huge.[/quote]

Since when did it become antithetical to have really big muscles and be strong? I would be as bold to say that most high level bb and pl (dep. on weight class) have big muscles and are strong. I know, I think outside the box. :slight_smile:

Why are we debating whos stronger of the two? sounds to me like we should be asking this…“What would you rather be? FAT…or GAY? Because everyone knows that ALL powerlifters are FATASSES, All bodybuilders are GAY” :slight_smile:

OR, you could be crossfit but nobody likes them anyway

[quote]GMH454 wrote:

last athletic bber was Grimek…[/quote]

Way to make an already ambiguous topic even more cloudy with one of the most subjective descriptors language has to offer.

Another ‘small’ difference is that a bodybuilder also has to be as lean as possible, which means he will sacrifice some strength. Leanness is not top priority for a PL.

[quote]physiquest wrote:
Another ‘small’ difference is that a bodybuilder also has to be as lean as possible, which means he will sacrifice some strength. Leanness is not top priority for a PL. [/quote]

We only need to lean down during contest prep. The rest of the year quite a few of us don’t look all that different from a 308…

The gifted guys may be able to stay lean year-round and make decent progress, but your average joe just ends up small and weak (by comparison) that way…

[quote]Hanley wrote:

A big deadlift does not a great powerlifter make.[/quote]

No, but it sure helps!
It also pisses people off that are 15kg ahead on sub-total.

Powerlifter and Strongman are far stronger than bodybuilders in both multi joint and single joint movements…Both powerlifters and strongman train for speed and power…and are better conditioned…see if a bodybuilder and do 200 lb sled pulls without puking…Much of this is because todays bodybuilder relies more on drug use than training like an animal…Old school bb trained differently…they trained like athletes…Columbo…Arnold…etc…

A mundane point, but who in the hell cares. Two different classes of people that have two different goals. I’ve used this car analogy (I like cars) before.

A body builder is like a guy who likes to build show cars. Show cars are non-functional. Nobody takes out a great show car for a Sunday drive. It sits in a garage. That does not diminish the amount of work and dedication that went into building that car.

PL are like dragsters. Built for one purpose - to put out as much horsepower to go a quarter of a mile as fast as possible. They train to lift heavy in three specific events.

Strongmen are like street rods. They like to be able to pull up to a stop light and know they can smoke anybody that wants to race. They are strong and functional.

A show car can beat most other cars in the quarter of a mile. I dragster looks better than most other cars. A street rod can perform most daily tasks better than other cars.

I think the arguement is stupid (not you guys, just the subject). I guess that makes me stupid for joining it.

[quote]JBPOWER wrote:
Powerlifter and Strongman are far stronger than bodybuilders in both multi joint and single joint movements…Both powerlifters and strongman train for speed and power…and are better conditioned…see if a bodybuilder and do 200 lb sled pulls without puking…Much of this is because todays bodybuilder relies more on drug use than training like an animal…Old school bb trained differently…they trained like athletes…Columbo…Arnold…etc…[/quote]

WAY too broad a generalisation to say powerlifters are better conditioned than bodybuilders. Way too broad.