Strength Imbalances

I’ve been training about one year now, details are in my profile, but I have a question about my current weights for the squat, benchpress, and deadlift.

For some reason the weight rank of the 3 go this way: deadlift > squat > benchpress.

I can’t seem to figure it out, but the bench press just seems like the most awkward lift for myself. Compared to the squat or deadlift, it just feels wonky and uncontrolled. It’s the lowest poundage of my current lifts and has frustrated me to hell. I think my form is somewhat off and my triceps are a bit weak.

In any event, does anyone have advice on form, progression, and assistance exercises in the goal of a bigger bench.

p.s. I’d like to fall back on the “im not biomechanically made to benchpress”, but it seems like BS and an excuse to not train harder.

also, here are my numbers:

bench 165 x 5
squat 185 x 5
deadlift 225 x 5

Search under Eric Cressey’s articles titled “overcoming lousy leverages”. It explains this stuff better than I ever could.

Over time you’ll find that the bench will get left behind… at least it is normal for that to happen.

Basically, simply work on identifying your weak points and work on them. You’ll find there is lots of room for improvement in each of the major lifts you mention.

Posterior chain?
Grip?
Back strength?
Triceps?

Identify the things that stop you from moving forward, figure out why those things are not progressing, and then take steps to overcome those issues.

For a weightlifter without gear, those numbers seem about right (assuming a full squat, of course). There was actually a recent discussion about strength benchmarks for those lifts, which you can find here:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1290832

[quote]vroom wrote:
Over time you’ll find that the bench will get left behind… at least it is normal for that to happen.

Basically, simply work on identifying your weak points and work on them. You’ll find there is lots of room for improvement in each of the major lifts you mention.

Posterior chain?
Grip?
Back strength?
Triceps?

Identify the things that stop you from moving forward, figure out why those things are not progressing, and then take steps to overcome those issues.
[/quote]

Thanks for the advice, this seems pretty straightforward, but it’s tough to critique yourself, but I did some thinking and I guess in my bench the problem lies in my triceps. Is there a specific exercise that can transfer over into bench?

As for squat and deadlift, I think I’ve spent a lot of time building up the weights and progression right now is pretty steady. Deadlift seems to be my best, I’m pretty sure I could deadlift 315 @ 160lbs easily with a few more weeks of training.

Anyhow, thanks for the replies, this site is great for getting correct/quick answers on training. Time to go eat.

Your bench is not low at all compared to the rest of your lifts, in fact it is almost high. A lot of people new to lifting can and should double their bench on the deadlift and the squat is somewhere in between, closer to the deadlift then the bench. So don’t focus on just the bench, focus on getting stronger all around. IMO your numbers aren’t high enough to really specialize yet.