Strength Gains From Week Off?

Due to the hectic schedule of a college kid traveling home to see 'rents and eat tons of food… I decided to relax, and take a 4 day break from lifting because I didn’t know of any gym in my hometown. I didn’t let it get me down (partly because of my overwhelming love for thanksgiving).

Well, back to my collegiate home, I thought it befitting to get right back to the gym. Well, my squat is 25 lbs heavier now! This really makes me wonder if I was working things too hard? I don’t do full body, just splits so I thought I wouldn’t overtrain anything…

This makes me wonder about the westside training method which incorporates breaks in training ( I think )

Anyone take breaks? How frequent? How long?

Thanks!
Trey

I always planned out 11 week cycles when I was powerlifting and after the 11 weeks were over I’d take a week off and go to the meet. It’s a common practice among strength athletes. After the meet I took a week off and then I was right back at it. Sometimes breaks are needed.

Before summer started I trained the bench twice per week and I was maxing at 240. The first week of summer I took a week and a half off. I came back and I was maxing at 260. I guess my body just needed time to recover.

If I have to lower the weight for 2 consecutive workouts,I take a week off and just chill and play some sports or hassle some friends.

Your body is fragile-remember that.

I’ve been feeling low on energy lately. Thought I’d take a few days off, myself. There are always concerns about loosing ground though. I guess a break is necessary sometimes.

More importantly, which do you prefer: a scheduled break or an impromptu one?

Discuss…

You just learned the beauty of deloading my friend.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
You just learned the beauty of deloading my friend.[/quote]

Damn, beat me to it! Good job Hanley!

I’ve only been lifting about 6 months . twice I’ve taken a full week off ( the second break was closer to 2 weeks), and both times I felt like
I could eat the world when I went back . never tested for strength gains , but I wouldnt doubt it at all .

I believe that scheduled breaks are an important part of the ovarall scheme of things .

I take a week off every 6 weeks.

Thanks guys, I’ll probably start scheduling in time to take breaks. The increased strength was really fun, i’d like to do it more often!

Call it De-Loading or whatever you want to. But either planned time off you time when you reduce either volume or weight is a very good thing for the body.

The older you get and the heavier you lift the more often you need these mini breaks. In fact you hit each major lift twice a week [or body part] twice a week once a month is not too frequently to have a recovery based workout or week

[quote]sapasion wrote:
The older you get and the heavier you lift the more often you need these mini breaks. In fact you hit each major lift twice a week [or body part] twice a week once a month is not too frequently to have a recovery based workout or week[/quote]

I guess this is one of those “listen to your body” things. Only I can know when I need to take a break, right?