T Nation

Strength Gain While Gaining Little Weight

[quote]Xanes wrote:

[quote]ImaMonsta wrote:
edit: I guess you changed your mind on my information. I appreciate you considering what I’ve got to say. [/quote]
yeah sorry for being gay at first, but what the other guy said… i thought i have no reference that you are any more advanced than i am.

but your thoughts are quite interesting[/quote]
Eh, I’m not worried about it. I’m new to this forum, and haven’t established myself whatsoever. I didn’t mean to attack you and say you’re clueless. I just remember being younger and really being on the wrong track for dieting. It’s easy as hell to gain mass; you simply eat a lot of carbs and protein, and if you’re working hard enough, you’ll see some results.

Keeping lean on the other hand is generally much harder for most, especially as they grow older.

I hope someone with more experience than myself can come in and really explain things better, as I’m clearly not qualified to the extent of some of the other members.

Man your dinner is literally called “Frozen processed stuff” that’s pretty much all I gonna say. You need to do some research on just proper nutrition there are tons of articles on this site alone. Nothing wrong with gaining weight any way necessary but there is a proper way to do it.

[quote]ImaMonsta wrote:

[quote]Xanes wrote:

[quote]ImaMonsta wrote:
edit: I guess you changed your mind on my information. I appreciate you considering what I’ve got to say. [/quote]
yeah sorry for being gay at first, but what the other guy said… i thought i have no reference that you are any more advanced than i am.

Eh, I’m not worried about it. I’m new to this forum, and haven’t established myself whatsoever. I didn’t mean to attack you and say you’re clueless. I just remember being younger and really being on the wrong track for dieting. It’s easy as hell to gain mass; you simply eat a lot of carbs and protein, and if you’re working hard enough, you’ll see some results.

Keeping lean on the other hand is generally much harder for most, especially as they grow older.

I hope someone with more experience than myself can come in and really explain things better, as I’m clearly not qualified to the extent of some of the other members. [/quote]

As said above I agree with you and I told the OP as well that his diet is shit. I just didnt agree with the grain comment as some Whole Grain espeacially Whole Grain Bagels are great in my opinion when trying to gain strength and mass even if at slow rate. They have 12g of protein, 49g carbs and 48% your daily fiber in one bagel and there delicous. I agree that milk should be limited if weigth gain is not important as for me it really helps pack on the pounds.

I never said anything you said was ignorant and made clear I did not mean to insult you with anything I said as I and no one else on this site knew who your were or what your credentials or status was. You dont have to have a degree in anything to post here as its safe to say most of us have learned through trial and error here. The only reason I even siad anything on this thread was just the way you went about introducing who you were or letting us know what experience or credentials you have (which was by telling the OP it didnt matter who you were and if he didnt like your advice then oh well). Also as of lately there has been more and more people show up espeacially in the beginners section who have absolutely 0 experience or any knowledge other than what they have read in a magazine or what some big guy at the gym told them.

I hope you stay around the site the more knowledgable people we have around here the better for every person who visits this site me, you, the op, or how ever.

[quote]Xanes wrote:

[quote]Jackie_Jacked wrote:
What exactly are you eating? I’ll be more specific since the money question around here is tell me exactly what you ate yesterday. [/quote]

to start off i do not write a nutrition log nor do i count calories (any more).

breakfast: about 180-220g whole bread with nutella, 1Litre whole milk
lunch: university cantine. was a 150g or so pork steak with like 90g or so rice plus desert. another litre of whole milk.
in between another few slices of bread with cheese and ham. maybe 150 or 200g
dinner: frozen processed stuff. call em ground meat rolls or whatever. about 300g of those and potato chips. can’t tell you how many that was, but it took me a while.
pre-sleep: half a litre whole milk with banana and 100g peanut butter

but i don’t get why you asked that question because i do not want to gain or lose weight but rather stay in this region. or gain weight very slowly. i have gained 6kg in 4 months and 4kg in 3 weeks i got the jist of fast and slow weight gain :slight_smile:

thanks a lot for the answers![/quote]

Because you mentioned food and your weight. See below.

[quote]Xanes wrote:
[i]my second question is that i would like to remain getting stronger without having to gain (a lot more) weight and eat so damn much. now you could all flame me because “shut the hell up and just fucking eat” but i was seriously wondering how people in lower weight classes in pl and wl achieve such levels of strength while not being huge (disregarding drugs and hormones).[/i]

oh yeah my goals:

1. get stronger (especially squat and press!)
    2.[i] stay my size or get slightly bigger (i think anything above 80kg is not what i had in mind)[/i]
  2. not be fat
    [/quote]

Also, as Big C mentioned (That’s Chris Colucci if you didn’t know), I was confused as to whether you wanted to stay the same weight/bf% or whether you wanted to slowly increase your weight although not to the point that you thought was fat or you were uncomfortable with. You asked about weight and not health so I won’t say that your diet looks like junk and processed food but if you want to stay the same weight, I would say just keep eating what you’re eating.

[quote]Reed wrote:

[quote]ImaMonsta wrote:

[quote]Xanes wrote:

[quote]ImaMonsta wrote:

I hope someone with more experience than myself can come in and really explain things better, as I’m clearly not qualified to the extent of some of the other members. [/quote]

As said above I agree with you and I told the OP as well that his diet is shit. I just didnt agree with the grain comment as some Whole Grain espeacially Whole Grain Bagels are great in my opinion when trying to gain strength and mass even if at slow rate. They have 12g of protein, 49g carbs and 48% your daily fiber in one bagel and there delicous. I agree that milk should be limited if weigth gain is not important as for me it really helps pack on the pounds.

I never said anything you said was ignorant and made clear I did not mean to insult you with anything I said as I and no one else on this site knew who your were or what your credentials or status was. You dont have to have a degree in anything to post here as its safe to say most of us have learned through trial and error here. The only reason I even siad anything on this thread was just the way you went about introducing who you were or letting us know what experience or credentials you have (which was by telling the OP it didnt matter who you were and if he didnt like your advice then oh well). Also as of lately there has been more and more people show up espeacially in the beginners section who have absolutely 0 experience or any knowledge other than what they have read in a magazine or what some big guy at the gym told them.

I hope you stay around the site the more knowledgable people we have around here the better for every person who visits this site me, you, the op, or how ever. [/quote]

I appreciate the non-hostile conversation. :slight_smile: I apologize if I came off a bit defensive, I guess I’m a bit stubborn when it comes to dieting, as I feel so many are so lost with it. I’ve been lurking for quite some time, and finally pulled the trigger and joined up. I don’t plan on leaving, just learning and hopefully maybe helping someone else along the way.

Cheers!

-James

Ok guys in that case i would like to clear something up to restore your faith in beginners:

i do not regularly eat frozen processed shit. it’s more of a once in a fortnight kind of thing. as of this moment i have one kilogram of juicy, red rump steak in my fridge. the frozen stuff are more like leftovers from the “gain mass like crazy” phase. i remember a quote by mark rippetoe saying “And folks, for weight-gaining purposes, “eating clean” is not a useful concept. Big Macs are.”

i need to slowly phase that out i guess. from my lurking i have seen a lot less civilized conversations so thanks for staying nice.

[quote][quote] Xanes wrote:
but i don’t get why you asked that question because i do not want to gain or lose weight but rather stay in this region. or gain weight very slowly. i have gained 6kg in 4 months and 4kg in 3 weeks i got the jist of fast and slow weight gain :slight_smile:

thanks a lot for the answers![/quote]

Jackie_Jacked wrote:
Because you mentioned food and your weight. See below. [/quote]

yes of course, now it’s kinda obvious. i thought you were questioning if my daily intake is enough to gain weight (which is what this questions usually seems to be about).

so, some practical tips would be to add more of:
lean meat
eggs (which i also eat frequently just not that day)
oats(?)
low fat milk(?)
veggies! (again, i get those too, though not as much as i’d like)
quinoa is really fucking expensive here i only found it once in a bio-hipster supermarket so if any germans know where else to get it i would appreciate it.

Definitely up your veggie intake; raw is great, but anything is better than none. They’ll help satisfy your hunger, and give you plenty of micros to keep your body happy.

I’m a big advocate of eating walnuts, almonds, cashews, etc. along with avocados and lots of raw olive oil. Fish is also a great way to get some healthy fats in you.

If you switched from bread to something like steel cut oats, you’d probably feel a bit more satisfied(at least in my experience).

If you can get a hold of non-fat, unflavored Greek yogurt(may take some getting used to the tartness of it), go for it. I like to mix in my walnuts, almonds, cashews, etc. into my yogurt. Healthy fats, casein protein, and lots of probiotics(fat also helps slow the digestion of protein).

For a quick on the go snack, I’ve been wrapping deli meat(generally turkey) around avocado slices and maybe some cheese.

Hard boiled eggs are always a great go to for a healthy quick snack.

This article has some decent information and reasonable rules to kind of fit into your diet - http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/7_habits_of_highly_effective_nutritional_programs

Also, as Big C mentioned (That’s Chris Colucci if you didn’t know)…[/quote]
Wow. Worst… nickname… ever. At least it’s better than when I was on the high school football team and they used to call me Chris Chlamydia.

I’m kidding, I’m kidding. :slight_smile:

I wasn’t on the football team in high school.

[quote]Xanes wrote:
i have been told over and over again to gain weight through any means possible(note the nutella for example) and i think that will be a habit backfiring on me.[/quote]
That’s because you used to be 130 freakin’ pounds. That’s very light, and it’s why you were able to gain so much, so quickly. Now that you’re a more “normal” weight, you may need to slightly drop your calories, depending on how you’re still gaining. Also, if you do end up reducing your training volume as I mentioned earlier, you may need to reduce calories a bit since you’re “spending” less calories in the gym.

Play it by ear depending on the actual strength and bodyweight progress you see each week. I really like this article for some basic ideas to set up a decent nutrition plan:

[quote]Xanes wrote:
Ok guys in that case i would like to clear something up to restore your faith in beginners:

i do not regularly eat frozen processed shit. it’s more of a once in a fortnight kind of thing.[/quote]
That’s exactly why it’s important for us to ask and for folks to actually answer. The overwhelming majority of the time, presuming they do actually answer, they’ll follow it up with a clarification, “Well, yeah, I ate that yesterday but seriously, I usually eat wayyy better than that.” Just sayin’, if you don’t keep an eye on things 24/7, before you know it you’ll have more special exceptions and eventually, you look back like, “Hey, where are those results I was supposed to see?!?”

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

Wow. Worst… nickname… ever. At least it’s better than when I was on the high school football team and they used to call me Chris Chlamydia.

I wasn’t on the football team in high school.

[quote]Xanes wrote:
i have been told over and over again to gain weight through any means possible(note the nutella for example) and i think that will be a habit backfiring on me.[/quote]
That’s because you used to be 130 freakin’ pounds. That’s very light, and it’s why you were able to gain so much, so quickly. Now that you’re a more “normal” weight, you may need to slightly drop your calories, depending on how you’re still gaining. Also, if you do end up reducing your training volume as I mentioned earlier, you may need to reduce calories a bit since you’re “spending” less calories in the gym.

Play it by ear depending on the actual strength and bodyweight progress you see each week. I really like this article for some basic ideas to set up a decent nutrition plan:

[quote]Xanes wrote:

i do not regularly eat frozen processed shit. it’s more of a once in a fortnight kind of thing.[/quote]
That’s exactly why it’s important for us to ask and for folks to actually answer. The overwhelming majority of the time, presuming they do actually answer, they’ll follow it up with a clarification, “Well, yeah, I ate that yesterday but seriously, I usually eat wayyy better than that.” Just sayin’, if you don’t keep an eye on things 24/7, before you know it you’ll have more special exceptions and eventually, you look back like, “Hey, where are those results I was supposed to see?!?”[/quote]

LOL, did they still call you “Chris Chlamydia”? :wink:

That article basically sums up my diet. Thanks for posting that! I’ll use that for reference for some friends.

[quote]ImaMonsta wrote:

I wasn’t on the football team in high school.[/quote]

LOL, did they still call you “Chris Chlamydia”? ;)[/quote]
No. No they did not.

[quote]ImaMonsta wrote:

I wasn’t on the football team in high school.[/quote]

LOL, did they still call you “Chris Chlamydia”? ;)[/quote]
No. No they did not.[/quote]

Sorry Chris. I created a monsta. hahaha :slight_smile:

[quote]Xanes wrote:
yes of course, now it’s kinda obvious. i thought you were questioning if my daily intake is enough to gain weight (which is what this questions usually seems to be about).

so, some practical tips would be to add more of:
lean meat
eggs (which i also eat frequently just not that day)
oats(?)
low fat milk(?)
veggies! (again, i get those too, though not as much as i’d like)
quinoa is really fucking expensive here i only found it once in a bio-hipster supermarket so if any germans know where else to get it i would appreciate it.
[/quote]

Gotcha. Wish I knew what to tell you about quinoa. It’s not very expensive in the US and it’s delicious - makes excellent salads. Have you looked online?

That’s a bummer about the quinoa. It goes so well with baked chicken, olive oil(raw of course), and steamed veggies.

I second the idea about looking for it online. You can probably find it in bulk for fairly cheap.