Strength for Crossfit

Hi, Is it possible to develop strenght and endurance in one training?

Talking about training style: every 30 sec 1 rep heavy power clean(about 85-90% 1RM).

During this training(s) I’ve felt better strength development than I’ve ever felt during classic strength trainings How is this possible?

[quote]Petlisek wrote:

Talking about training style: every 30 sec 1 rep heavy power clean(about 85-90% 1RM).

During this training(s) I’ve felt better strength development than I’ve ever felt during classic strength trainings How is this possible?[/quote]
Not sure I understand your question exactly. But it sounds like you’re talking about strength-endurance, or being strong for a long time/event. It’s certainly possible to train for that, but lifting 90% 1RM once every 30 seconds won’t work, because you’ll be lucky to get more than 1 or 2 reps.

Actually, something like a modified version of Charles Staley’s EDT could be used, since you keep trying to do more work in the same amount of time (maintaining strength levels for an extended period of time). There was actually an article last week discussing a plan like this:
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/edt_for_strength

Or check my dumbbell clean and press article:
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_biggest_exercise_in_bodybuilding
It’s a plan for working up to using heavy weight (strength) for high reps (endurance).

But again, without knowing your goals or what you’re exactly trying to achieve (“crossfit” isn’t a goal), it’s hard to narrow down the best plan.

It works my clean and jerk went up from 205 to 230 when do that style, usually 2 on the minute or 1 on the minute for some where between 7-10 minutes. There was a lot of that in the crossfit new england programming. Sure its possible if you haven’t notice the majority of the crossfit athletes are getting stronger year after year.

Combining sealfit style workouts with a heavy lifting program should be very beneficial to your endurance and max strength

Cleans are very technical, that said it may improve your strength for a while.

Crossfit-relevant strength is best developed by performing heavy compound movements within a structured format 3 times a week, explosive lifting (i.e. snatch, clean, and pulls thereof) 1-2 times a week, and heavy, shorts metcons i.e. crossfit football. crossfitfootball.com is definitely a great site for strength-biased conditioning workouts.

Crossfit programming these days (such as mainsite or the CFNE competitor’s programming) doesn’t drill strength as much as skill work and conditioning. The Games athletes you see that are getting progressively stronger already have an impressive level of strength and a machine developed from years of consistent Crossfit conditioning. The biggest improvements across the board seen in recent Games athletes have been seen in the olympic lifts, which a lot of popular Crossfit competitor programming (Outlaw, for example) has been skewed towards.

I used to do 90% Crossfit and some random strength days a couple years ago. Basically bailed on Crossfit and I do Wendler 531. Going strong about a year or so doing what I do now. I do some selective crossfit stuff for conditioning here and there when I feel like it. Despite not working that much CF anymore I usually crush most of my old benchmarks when I care to try those workouts again.

I suggest The Outlaw if your into Olympic style lifting, and Wendler works very good if your into the Squat/DL/Press/Bench side of things. For me at age 34 Wendler seems to be working better since I have had injuries before which make the Oly lifts a tad harder on my body.

[quote]Petlisek wrote:

During this training(s) I’ve felt better strength development than I’ve ever felt during classic strength trainings How is this possible?

[/quote]

Why don’t you focus on just performing your Oly Lifts in one block of training devoted entirely to strength and power, take a five minute rest break and do some sort of CrossFit METCON. This to me would make more sense than trying to perform an exercise that isn’t designed for endurance work into an endurance exercise.

Focus on developing strength and overall power. 5x5, 5x3, 5x1 of Oly lifts focusing on technique, speed and force production.

Then perform your metabolic circuit after a five minute delay (which should be just enough time to put away all your Oly gear). For this you could do anything from wallballs, sprints, prowlers, bike/rower sprints, combinations you name it.

Every exercise has a purpose. Every method of training has a purpose. Train for your specific goals, but focus on one aspect at time. Don’t combine things that aren’t meant to be combined.

[quote]hucker7 wrote:
I used to do 90% Crossfit and some random strength days a couple years ago. Basically bailed on Crossfit and I do Wendler 531. Going strong about a year or so doing what I do now. I do some selective crossfit stuff for conditioning here and there when I feel like it. Despite not working that much CF anymore I usually crush most of my old benchmarks when I care to try those workouts again.

I suggest The Outlaw if your into Olympic style lifting, and Wendler works very good if your into the Squat/DL/Press/Bench side of things. For me at age 34 Wendler seems to be working better since I have had injuries before which make the Oly lifts a tad harder on my body. [/quote]

I’ve also noticed that when I get stronger, Crossfit becomes less of a muscular fatigue issue.

[quote]Broski wrote:

[quote]hucker7 wrote:

I suggest The Outlaw if your into Olympic style lifting, and Wendler works very good if your into the Squat/DL/Press/Bench side of things. For me at age 34 Wendler seems to be working better since I have had injuries before which make the Oly lifts a tad harder on my body. [/quote]

I’ve also noticed that when I get stronger, Crossfit becomes less of a muscular fatigue issue.[/quote]

Same here, work capacity via strength.

Case in point. I did the 13.4 open workout lastnight just cause I like Clean & Jerks & Toes 2 Bar movements.

Workout 13.4
3 Clean/Jerks & 3 Toes 2 Bar
6 CJ’s & 6 Toes 2 Bar
etc…

I was more winded than anything. I still had good form as I got into the set of 15 which I made it into 10 reps. 70 was my Total score…

Was a good workout to gauge some strength gains