Strength Equivalent In 1 Leg Movements

lets say you squat 300lbs, what would be the 1 leg squat equivalent of that, concerning tension in the quad/glute?

I know I can’t quite squat 300lbs, but I can 1 leg squat 160lbs. I believe my limiting factor in the back squat is my core strength, not quads/glutes.

How do think step ups would fit in?
I did 180lbs on the step ups tonight.

Assume that the thighs are parallel to the floor on all movements.

What are your maxes on these three simular lifts?

I agree that the core is the limiting factor on 1 and 2 leg squats. I’m a firm believer in unilateral work, especially for sports performance. For step-ups, I find about 75% of your inseam length (crotch to floor) is about max. and I favor side step-ups to forward step-ups (less cheating).
To strengthen the core more, utilize either movement or an unbalanced load.
Either press or lower the BB or DB when you are lungeing or stepping-up.
To make it more unbalanced use only 1 DB. Stadium steps with sandbags is good also.

TNT

try the full high step ups recommended by Coach John Davies where your free leg is fully extended on its tipitoes. very humbling and powerful making the regular stepups seem like a joke. you get a great stretch and the most range of motion. laters pk

I find it hard to do high stepups without cheating. Is cheating okay? Is it considered part of the movement?

[quote]KiloSprinter wrote:
lets say you squat 300lbs, what would be the 1 leg squat equivalent of that, concerning tension in the quad/glute?

I know I can’t quite squat 300lbs, but I can 1 leg squat 160lbs. I believe my limiting factor in the back squat is my core strength, not quads/glutes.

How do think step ups would fit in?
I did 180lbs on the step ups tonight.

Assume that the thighs are parallel to the floor on all movements.

What are your maxes on these three simular lifts?[/quote]

Something really doesnt sound correct to me. A 180 Hi-box Step Up (assuming you are doing it correctly) should result in a much greater Squat then you noted.

Here is a description from an unpublished article that may help:

“The set up for this lift is straight forward. With a stable hi box set up so that when your lead leg is planted on the top of the box and your base foot is off its heels so that the lead thigh is parallel to the ground. Unfortunately with this lift, “cheating” occurs for too often and it is even rarer to see perform weighted without the torso leaning forward. To avoid “cheating” or jerking upwards by using more of the base foot, squeeze the toes of the plant leg and drive upwards with the plant foot on the box. This allows posture to be maintained perfectly an maximize impact squarely on the legs.”

Tough lift - good luck with everything.

In faith,

Coach Davies

I find it hard to do high step ups without falling on my face, is this okay, or is it part of the exercise?
!
I’ve forgotten, but I know I’ve read in an article here how the heights affect which muscle group is getting worked the most. And isn’t it the higher you go the more the focus shifts to hamstrings/glutes?

[quote]KiloSprinter wrote:

[/quote]

Kilo, I’m curious, do you mean that you did a pistol with a 160-pound barbell racked on your shoulders? If you did, I am DAMNED impressed. If not, what do mean by a 160-pound squat? I’m not calling you out or anything, I just not sure what you’re referring to.

Do side step-ups. Less chance of cheating and also involves more add and abductors. Squeeze the abs really tight to keep the hips level and stabilize the back. REALLY TIGHT!

Didn’t your mother ever teach you not to cheat???

TNT

what’s the difference between a 1 leg squat and a pistol?
If I’ve got it right, a pistol is done with the non bearing leg out in front of you, while a 1 leg squat is done with the non bearing leg up on a bench behind you.

I can do a one leg squat with 135 for 3, but I’ll bet anything I couldn’t do a pistol with either leg, not even with the promise of a week in Bermuda with Jessica Simpson (or Alecia Keyes) as a prize.

[quote]Joe Weider wrote:

…a 1 leg squat is done with the non bearing leg up on a bench behind you.

[/quote]

Oh, THAT’s what he was talking about!

I haven’t ever tried those.

Joe W., how much do you weigh? Unless you’re skinny, it will help you to hold a light weight in front of you (even if you weight is all LBM). Working on your hip flexor flexibility by holding onto a stable object and contracting and relaxing to let yourself fall deeper into the ‘hole’ of the squat will get you to the bottom of a pistol in no time.

Pistols really aren’t that hard. They’re a great party trick, “single-leg supplement,” and, to a certain extent, a flexibility developer, but I could do a pistol with a 50-pound weight well before I could squat two wheels.

this is how I do 1-leg squats http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/DBSingleLegSplitSquat.html
my max on these is 160 maybe 170lbs.

concerning the step-ups, I keep my heel of the non working foot/leg off the ground as high as possible(standing on toes) to avoid cheating. I might have been a little bit above parallel because standing on my toes raised me higher.but yes, i worked up to 180lbs on these last night.(2 90lb DBs)

I haven’t ever really gone for max weight on the back squat because of my relatively weak core. Although I suppose wearing a belt would help, but I never wear one, so that I work the core more!

thanks for the replies

[quote]Ross Hunt wrote:

Kilo, I’m curious, do you mean that you did a pistol with a 160-pound barbell racked on your shoulders? If you did, I am DAMNED impressed. If not, what do mean by a 160-pound squat? I’m not calling you out or anything, I just not sure what you’re referring to.[/quote]

No. I normally just do 10x3 with 140-150lbs on the 1 leg squats. That is with my non working leg behind me on a bench. http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/DBSingleLegSplitSquat.html

can someone describe the side step ups?

I like doing the high box step ups the most because I feel I can explode from the bottom easier than during any squat variation. And from past experiences, step ups seem to translate over to my cycling sprinting very well.
Cycling is my main sport, I’m just lifting to improve my sprint.

yeah, it’s the flexibility. I keep working on my hip flexors and stuff, and I’m finally getting my 2 leg squat down to grass level.
I’ll give the weight in front a try.
I’m at 260ish, and it ain’ t all LBM!

Side step-up = box is to the side of you instead of in front of you.

TNT