Strength Conditioning with Stronglifts

Hey Guys,
I’ve been doing Stronglifts 5x5 for about 9 weeks now and have seen some awesome gains. I’ve gone from never lifting, to loving going to the gym and seeing my squat go up every workout.
I’ve been reading a lot of articles by Wendler on Conditioning and I really agree with his idea that you need to be able to lift big and be in good shape.
My current workout schedule is MWF. My idea was on Saturday to add a Conditioning workout consisting of tire flips, farmers walk, sledgehammer smashes, and sled pulls.
My questions are would this be worth doing only 1 day a week and would this effect my “newbie” gains I’m enjoying right now.

Thanks!

[quote]GetTheLedOut wrote:
My current workout schedule is MWF. My idea was on Saturday to add a Conditioning workout consisting of tire flips, farmers walk, sledgehammer smashes, and sled pulls.
My questions are would this be worth doing only 1 day a week and would this effect my “newbie” gains I’m enjoying right now.

Thanks![/quote]

Probably not. You might feel it after the first session but you should adapt pretty quickly. I’d suggest leaving out the tire flips as it is essentially a heavy hinge movement. You’re loading your spine heavy three times a week - no need to do it a fourth time für the sake of conditioning. Also, you may find that if you pick only one of the exercises and attack it hard, you’ll have nothing left for the other two. Just something to consider. Give it a try.

I would drop all the other conditioning shit you’ve listed there and just do sled pushes/drags, personally

[quote]Yogi wrote:
I would drop all the other conditioning shit you’ve listed there and just do sled pushes/drags, personally[/quote]

This is what I’m doing right now. Occasionally I’ll pull out the skipping rope on Tuesdays because I like being proficient with it.

Thanks guys. I think tire flips are a lot of fun, but you’re pry right that 4x a week might be too much for my spine. I may just work on making a sled out of a tire a attacking that. I have to keep sledgehammer in, though, because I have a fire fighter agility test that I’m training for and the sledge will be part of it.