Strength Changes Week to Week

Ok so last week i was doing my deadlifts. I worked up to 300 for sets of 3 but it wasnt till failure. Then this week i go back and i can barely move 285 for sets of 3. Can someone explain this to me

You weren’t fully recovered. Not enough information to know whether it was from the deadlifts, something else, stress, lack of sleep, etc.

I know one time, I was back squatting. Horrible day. At that time my max was 285, but I ended up nearly killing myself to get 255. 30 pounds under my previous best. I was incredibly upset the rest of the day, but some days you’re just not feeling it.

You need to look at a bigger picture than weekly. Sometimes you will have good days and bad days. Look over 3-6 week or more blocks to see how you are progressing.

[quote]rmccart1 wrote:
but some days you’re just not feeling it.[/quote]

That is a really humbling feeling.

It will happen to me about once or twice per 3 week block.

[quote]theflowjob wrote:
Ok so last week i was doing my deadlifts. I worked up to 300 for sets of 3 but it wasnt till failure. Then this week i go back and i can barely move 285 for sets of 3. Can someone explain this to me[/quote]

Bad day? Maybe not enough rest. Some people need 10 days or 14 days of rest for deadlifting. Some need a week. Some don’t need any. Depends on your build, genetics, and training age. The more you’re deadlifting, the longer you’ll need to rest.

You need to learn about dual factor theory. You need to learn about how exercise accumulates fitness levels and fatigue. You have to learn that deadlifting takes a lot out of you and there are better ways to train it like with box squats or good mornings. You need to learn a lot of things. You will learn them and you will make great progress!

Note most bodybuilding is single factor based … exercise, recover. Repeat. If not recovering fully, rest more.

But at a more advanced level you don’t recover week to week, you might need to back off for an entire week every 4th week. So your lifts might be pretty stagnant or even go down for 3 weeks, then 4th week rest, then 5th week BAM! lifts gone up.

Get Practical Programming and read it for more info… in fact, comprehensive info.