Strength Challenge/Strength Phase and FSL Question

Hey Guys,

I picked up Beyond 531 yesterday and I am need of some clarification. After running BBB for about a year, I’m contemplating moving onto one of the 351 templates while working up to singles in weeks 1 and 3 (as listed in ‘strength challenge’ section and ‘531 strength phase (variation of 531 for PL)’ section in Beyond 531.

1. I’m thinking about programming FSL after the work sets. In the strength challenge portion, Jim wrote that the FSL sets should be performed w/ the opposite exercises of the main working sets (i.e. On Squat day perform Deadlift FSL. On deadlift day perform squat FSL. etc.). Is it o.k. for me to simply drop down and perform the FSL sets w/ the same exercises of the main lift (i.e. on squat day day perform squat FSL)?

2. During the FSL sets, one has the option of performing 3-5sets of 5-8 reps. This leaves me with the question of how many sets/reps should I actually do? Just wanting some clarification, as it was laid out simply for me in BBB. Do the FSL sets fit under the category of ‘auto-regulation’/use your best judgement?

3. In the strength challenge section, hill runs aren’t listed as an option within the recommended conditioning tool. I was just wondering if hills can be a recommended supplement to what’s listed?

4. In the ‘531 strength phase’ section, Jim listed a ‘part one’ version of training where you only do 1x1 of TM and a ‘part two’ template where you do 1x1+ TM (AMRAP). Is it o.k. to simply jump into the part two portion and as I begin the first cycle of this new template? Or is part 1 and part 2 meant to be done in sequence? I’m just very eager to go all in and balls out.

Still learning how to put this all together. So, thank you all for your help.
J

[quote]Joe180 wrote:
Hey Guys,

I picked up Beyond 531 yesterday and I am need of some clarification. After running BBB for about a year, I’m contemplating moving onto one of the 351 templates while working up to singles in weeks 1 and 3 (as listed in ‘strength challenge’ section and ‘531 strength phase (variation of 531 for PL)’ section in Beyond 531.

1. I’m thinking about programming FSL after the work sets. In the strength challenge portion, Jim wrote that the FSL sets should be performed w/ the opposite exercises of the main working sets (i.e. On Squat day perform Deadlift FSL. On deadlift day perform squat FSL. etc.). Is it o.k. for me to simply drop down and perform the FSL sets w/ the same exercises of the main lift (i.e. on squat day day perform squat FSL)?

2. During the FSL sets, one has the option of performing 3-5sets of 5-8 reps. This leaves me with the question of how many sets/reps should I actually do? Just wanting some clarification, as it was laid out simply for me in BBB. Do the FSL sets fit under the category of ‘auto-regulation’/use your best judgement?

3. In the strength challenge section, hill runs aren’t listed as an option within the recommended conditioning tool. I was just wondering if hills can be a recommended supplement to what’s listed?

4. In the ‘531 strength phase’ section, Jim listed a ‘part one’ version of training where you only do 1x1 of TM and a ‘part two’ template where you do 1x1+ TM (AMRAP). Is it o.k. to simply jump into the part two portion and as I begin the first cycle of this new template? Or is part 1 and part 2 meant to be done in sequence? I’m just very eager to go all in and balls out.

Still learning how to put this all together. So, thank you all for your help.
J

[/quote]

Not Jim, but I answer anyway with my knowledge and experience:

1. No problem.

2. Auto-regulation is always good, but you can also choose solid reps/sets (5x5 for ex.). I personally have done solid FSL with reducing the volume after each 6 week block: 5x8 → 5x5 → 5x3.

3. Sprints are taxing, specially with TM PR, but I have only done sprinting occasionally aside lifting and cannot say anything or sure. Your body will tell you a lot and prob. you’ll feel like crap anyway for the first weeks.

4. I would recommend doing the first phase first. TM PR is amrap set with around 85-95% of your real max and that’s not a joke. I would use the second phase as a peak for 3 or 6 weeks in 5/3 “cycle”.

If you’re really into challenging yourself just do the challenge - as its written.

You should do the challenge as shown.

1. During the FSL sets, one has the option of performing 3-5sets of 5-8 reps. This leaves me with the question of how many sets/reps should I actually do? Just wanting some clarification, as it was laid out simply for me in BBB. Do the FSL sets fit under the category of ‘auto-regulation’/use your best judgement?

You will have to use your best judgement and your experience. If in doubt, 5x5.

1. In the strength challenge section, hill runs aren’t listed as an option within the recommended conditioning tool. I was just wondering if hills can be a recommended supplement to what’s listed?

No.

1. In the ‘531 strength phase’ section, Jim listed a ‘part one’ version of training where you only do 1x1 of TM and a ‘part two’ template where you do 1x1+ TM (AMRAP). Is it o.k. to simply jump into the part two portion and as I begin the first cycle of this new template? Or is part 1 and part 2 meant to be done in sequence? I’m just very eager to go all in and balls out.

You should do the challenge/program as shown.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:

You should do the challenge as shown.
[/quote]

Is it possible to do same lift FSL using the strength phase (from pg. 15)?

Normally you give both options (same or opposite FSL) and also encourage to do FSL sets in strength phase:

“Donâ??t be afraid to hit your TM for a PR set and drop back down and do multiple sets with your first set (see above First Set Last).”

So should the strength phase handled same way as the challenge or not?

Not trying to be a prick. Just interested because I’m going to do either the challenge or just the strength phase next winter (depending on my work schedules/training frequency).

Rattus- thanks for your insight and recommendations. I always appreciate the sharing of knowledge of experienced lifters like yourself.

Jim- thanks for answering. And thanks for your time on these boards. I’ll follow the program as written.

Would not consider myself experienced yet. I have been doing 5/3/1 less than two years (overall lifting little longer).

But I’m eager to share my experiences about the method, which has many superior aspects to many other good programs around there. Mainly because the sustainability and adaptability of the program.

Im also curious about strenght phase 1&2, if they fit in a 6week training cycle like most templates/programs in the book?

[quote]Sami-84 wrote:
Im also curious about strenght phase 1&2, if they fit in a 6week training cycle like most templates/programs in the book?

[/quote]

If you are talking about the challenge on p88, it is not a template. You do as is or choose something else.

Think he said that already.

Do not confuse a challenge with a template

[quote]JFG wrote:

[quote]Sami-84 wrote:

[/quote]

If you are talking about the challenge on p88, it is not a template. You do as is or choose something else.

Think he said that already.

Do not confuse a challenge with a template[/quote]

I did not mean the challenge.