Strength Athletes Dying Early

This is why I have decided to continue my athletic career on XBOX live, Madden 08 of course.

[quote]Julius_Caesar wrote:
OneDay wrote:
No one who can lift 1000 pounds is a fat slob.

Are you kidding me?

Rychlak looks like he does about double bodyweight. His fucking gut is so big it looks like he is 9 months pregnant with septuplets. Anthony Clark who also died young was another morbidly obese powerlifter.

Andy Bolton is another fat slob. Gary Frank before he trimmed down a bit was another morbid fatso. In fact, show me some people that can lift that much weight and who aren’t cellulite supremacists full of wiggly-jiggly, prodigious amounts of lard and blubber; they are in the minority…[/quote]

You realize that you are calling the strongest people on this planet “fat slobs.” I think we can all agree they have higher body fat levels then the majority of people, but they also have higher amounts of muscle then the majority of people.

If they were fat slobs, how come the 750 lb man that can’t get out of bed isn’t setting world records?

Furthermore, your entire argument is flawed when you mentioned Marunde’s name. He may have been in the 300 lb club, but he was ripped as shit.

And btw, Chuck Vogelpohl competes at 220 and squats in the 1000s…

[quote]
OneDay wrote:

And btw, Chuck Vogelpohl competes at 220 and squats in the 1000s…[/quote]

Which is just ridiculous :open_mouth:

[quote]SkyzykS wrote:
When you are a 350 lb. sloth that drops dead, no one takes notice. Fat slobs are supposed to die from unhealthy habits.

When you are a 2-300 lb. strength athlete who drops dead, people notice.

It violates peoples notion of strength and ability when a supposedly strong healthy person kicks the bucket, without regard for masked or not easily identifiable conditions.

Just by the numbers, some athletes are going to die from -(I could be mistaken on the name, sorry)- ventricular hypertrophy, but it is a very common condition in anybody who trains in anything athletic. The uncommon circumstance is when someone dies from it.

If they die from it while playing NCAA ball, or peddling the Tour de France, the media is going to be all over it, and people that don’t know anything about obscured conditions of trained athletes are going to be shocked.

Never mind the 9,999 who are in the best shape of their lives, there is one dead athlete in the headlines. Exercise must be bad for the heart.[/quote]

Best Post!!!

You do say some stupid shit.

-Matt

OneDay wrote:

Are you kidding me?

Rychlak looks like he does about double bodyweight. His fucking gut is so big it looks like he is 9 months pregnant with septuplets. Anthony Clark who also died young was another morbidly obese powerlifter.

Andy Bolton is another fat slob. Gary Frank before he trimmed down a bit was another morbid fatso. In fact, show me some people that can lift that much weight and who aren’t cellulite supremacists full of wiggly-jiggly, prodigious amounts of lard and blubber; they are in the minority…[/quote]

[quote]IL Cazzo wrote:
Oh, so regular people who eat in “cheat meal” style every fuckin day and live to be 90, they must have magical powers.

I know, I know, none of these guys ever did drugs or anything, cause all these 30yo guys who are in otherwise good shape and just drop dead obviously die because they ate two pizza “pies.” Oy fucking vay.[/quote]

I don’t know anybody who eats 2 pizza pies every day and lives to be 90. So if you do maybe they do have magical powers or they just live in your incredibly simple magical world.

OneDay wrote:

Are you kidding me?

Ryan Kennelly isn’t a fat slob, look him up-and he can lift 1k±.

I’m no expert on steroids but I’ve been under the impression that any amount of steroids will cause one section of the heart to grow faster than the others and without exercising the heart through intense cardiovascular workouts the faster growing part of the heart will cause heart problems.

I think this might answer why pro cyclists and pro track and field athletes (both fields have been using steroids for breakfast, lunch, and dinner) are not dying like strength athletes. Their training is dedicated much more to cardio fitness so their heart doesn’t run into the same problems. I won’t deny that the training strength athletes do is extremely demanding cardiovascularly, but it doesn’t help condition them for higher cardiovascular fitness.

This problem, combined with messed up cholestorol, intense training sessions that not only demand the strenght the atheletes have already developed, but the cardio-base that they lack, and a host of other variables I’ve overlooked are what’s causing all this.

[quote]carlitors wrote:
Well, I mean seriously.
What do you expect? if you weigh 300 lbs, be it slob or pure rock you are taxing all your organs far more than someone who weighs 100 lbs less, it is common sense.

Many heavy weightlifters, and bodybuilders do suffer from poor health, perhaps not as poor as these guys you talk about (since they already died) but many have problems with the liver or the pancreas, also heart problems.

As someone said, it is not the diet, or the activity or anything like that, it is you, and what you decide to do with your body, you can’t really isolate a cause, everyone is different.[/quote]

I think this is right. I don’t ahve any stats to back this up, but I’ve heard that big people tend not to live as long on average. The same is certainly true for dogs and I would imagine most other animals as well.

Someone who is 300 lbs has a lot more lean tissue to support than someone who is 200 lbs. Their heart has to pump more blood, their bones and tendons have to support more weight, their kidneys have to filter more toxins etc. I’ve heard the same is true for really tall people. Having to pump blood that much higher puts extra strain on their hearts.

Being 300 and fit is certainly better than 300 and out of shape, but many power lifters are really not fit… at least not in the ways that promote longevity. Its quite possible to have extremely strong muscles without a strong heart. Same goes for NFL linemen. The fitness for their sport doesn’t really correlate with an extended liftspan.

[quote]robo1 wrote:
There’s a trend? Who else has died? Maybe once a month you see somebody’s name pop up, but that’s just life. I think you may be overstating it a bit. I don’t think there is an epidemic of PLs dropping dead. PL/strongman etc. involves a lot of risk with regard to pushing your body beyond its limits. Marunde is a perfect example of that, trying to push himself harder and something went wrong.[/quote]

Three more strongmen that died young:

1. Jon Pall Sigmarsson
  2. Johnny Perry
  3. O.D. Wilson

[quote]gswork wrote:
An assertion like this may be true but it would need to be backed up by 1) statistical analysis compared to average and 2) a working theory that explains it and can be seen in the evidence.

[/quote]

It has been backed up by statistical analysis and proven through various methods in living athletes and autopsy of cadavers.

I was introduced to this fact when one friend of mine was talking to another about a team-mate of his who dropped dead on the ice in the middle of a hockey game and could not be revived.
The man he was talking to is an anesthesiologist whose specialties include heart transplant and surgery, currently working in sports medicine. He explained that as an adaption to load on the heart, a condition of hypertrophy occurs on the output valve(not his exact words). It occurs in the majority of athletes, but results in death in only a very small percentage of those who have the condition.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
IL Cazzo wrote:
Oh, so regular people who eat in “cheat meal” style every fuckin day and live to be 90, they must have magical powers.

I know, I know, none of these guys ever did drugs or anything, cause all these 30yo guys who are in otherwise good shape and just drop dead obviously die because they ate two pizza “pies.” Oy fucking vay.

I don’t know anybody who eats 2 pizza pies every day and lives to be 90. So if you do maybe they do have magical powers or they just live in your incredibly simple magical world.

[/quote]

No, douche. I said as a fuckin cheat meal. You implied that because these guys ate a cheat meal of two pizza “pies” (wtf is that about, btw), they dropped dead early.

You are all over this site, posting in every friggin forum. Bashing PL gear, offering lame ass advice to newbies…piss off. Another Internet legend. Beat it. Go eat some pizza pies.

[quote]IL Cazzo wrote:

No, douche. I said as a fuckin cheat meal. You implied that because these guys ate a cheat meal of two pizza “pies” (wtf is that about, btw), they dropped dead early.

You are all over this site, posting in every friggin forum. Bashing PL gear, offering lame ass advice to newbies…piss off. Another Internet legend. Beat it. Go eat some pizza pies.

[/quote]

I guess if you made it past 18 reading must not be all that fundamental.

What guys did I say ate a cheat meal of 2 pizza pies then died? I said that COULD happen dumb ass. COULD implies possibility, unlike you Dr. Cazzo I don’t know why they died, but I guess you do, and NO ONE ELSE since investigations are not complete.

Since you can’t understand ENTIRE paragraphs at a time and need things broken down into simple sentences I will summarize what I said in my post.

Sentence 1)
There are a million reasons why people/powerlifters die.

Sentence comprehension:
What does this imply?
Yes maybe one person out there can eat a cheat meal that is 2 greasy for his body and die.(We won’t use 2 pizza pies since #1 Exaggeration is too much for your brain to handle and #2 You’ve never in your life seen somebody eat more than they should).
ON THE OTHER HAND, unless you take into account the MILLION other reasons you don’t KNOW why.

Example: He POSSIBLY might have a heart condition COMBINED with a 20 rep squat workout that pushed his heart to the limit for the next 24 hours and made it so he couldn’t handle eating (for you) 2 slices of pizza.

So your homework assignment genuis use your newly found comprehension skills to show me where I bashed PL gear.

On a side note, I really have to thank you for raising my status. I used to be some guy who just went into different threads and gave my opinion. I didn’t know that I am now an Internet Legend, do I get some kind of plaque for this? Maybe from the Internet Dork Powerlifting Association? If you guys give me a plaque, will real powerlifters recognize this?

[quote]shizen wrote:
Julius_Caesar wrote:
OneDay wrote:

Are you kidding me?

Andy Bolton is another fat slob. Gary Frank before he trimmed down a bit was another morbid fatso. In fact, show me some people that can lift that much weight and who aren’t cellulite supremacists full of wiggly-jiggly, prodigious amounts of lard and blubber; they are in the minority…

Ryan Kennelly isn’t a fat slob, look him up-and he can lift 1k±.
[/quote]

Like I said, there are guys who can lift under 1000 pounds who aren’t fat slobs but they are in the minority.

Why is everyone so hung up on 1000 pounds anyway? Half of these fatsos can’t even do a triple bodyweight deadlift because their bodyweight is so high.

Why is everyone so hung up on 1000 pounds anyway? Half of these fatsos can’t even do a triple bodyweight deadlift because their bodyweight is so high.
[/quote]

Because nobody gives a crap about your relative strength. Nobody ever said “I want a triple bodyweight bench when I grow up,” when they were a kid/teenager. They said “I want to bench 300” or 400 or 500 or whatever objective number they thought qualified as “really frigging strong.”

Bodyweight ratios were created to make weak people feel less weak and give them a “reason” as to why they’re not strong. 'Oh, well, that guy outweighs me, so no wonder he outbenches/squats/whatevers me." No, the reason he outlifts you is because he’s stronger than you are. If you have to put on 50 lbs of bodyweight to add 5 lbs onto your lift YOU GOT STRONGER.

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
…Bodyweight ratios were created to make weak people feel less weak and give them a “reason” as to why they’re not strong. 'Oh, well, that guy outweighs me, so no wonder he outbenches/squats/whatevers me." No, the reason he outlifts you is because he’s stronger than you are. If you have to put on 50 lbs of bodyweight to add 5 lbs onto your lift YOU GOT STRONGER.
[/quote]

And likely took a few years off your possible life span.

As was pointed out before the extremes in human behavior usually do not help longevity.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
KBCThird wrote:
…Bodyweight ratios were created to make weak people feel less weak and give them a “reason” as to why they’re not strong. 'Oh, well, that guy outweighs me, so no wonder he outbenches/squats/whatevers me." No, the reason he outlifts you is because he’s stronger than you are. If you have to put on 50 lbs of bodyweight to add 5 lbs onto your lift YOU GOT STRONGER.

And likely took a few years off your possible life span.

As was pointed out before the extremes in human behavior usually do not help longevity.
[/quote]

Yes, I agree that it probably takes years off your life. So does playing professional football and being in the equivalent of a really bad car wreck every weekend (not to mention practices and all the years of pee wee, hs and college ball leading up to the pros) but some people have goals and have to sacrifice for those goals. Whether or not the sacrifice is worth it is an entirely different question.

But that’s not the point, JC posted saying “whats the big deal with raw numbers” because apparently he just doesnt get it

[quote]Flow wrote:

OneDay wrote:

And btw, Chuck Vogelpohl competes at 220 and squats in the 1000s…

Which is just ridiculous :open_mouth:
[/quote]

Sam Byrd does it at 198 :stuck_out_tongue: