T Nation

Strength and Size

Hi, been training for a while. I'm looking to add some strength and size for a while whislt im injured from sport (i don't seem to be limited in the gym by the injury)

I was considering focusing on the main powerlifting lifts: squat, bench and deadlift for 3 sessions a week. just 5x5 and trying to add weight as much as possible. And have separate more size orientated sessions, maybe high volume for each of the lifts to try and add size. Does this seem like a good idea?

And i was wondering what would be a good routine to accomodate this, or if you don't think this idea is best what else would you suggest?

I would ideally have the 5x5 in the am of monday wednesday friday.

Thanks in advance.

IMO, it’s a very good idea!

According to your #, you can choose a Bill Starr/Madcow template: linear progression (intermediate level) or a periodization (advanced level). 5x5 is likely to make you gain both size and strength, on condition that you eat a caloric surplus and a good amount of proteins (2 gr/lbs of bodyweight).

Feel free to add chins, dips, BB curl, triceps extensions, calf raises, lateral raises (two exercises on each day).

Here’s a useful link: http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

Last thing: don’t rush into advanced level; you’ve better reap faster gains with the intermediate level, 'till it works for you (and if you don’t start with too much on the bar, it can work even for a couple of years).

Good luck with your goals!

Yeah, i’ve had some experience on this type of program before and found it was successful.

How does this sound:

Mon -Squat 5 x 5
Tue -High volume of deadlifts, pull-ups and seated rows
Wed -Bench 5 x 5
Thu - High volume squats
Fri -Deadlift 5 x 5
Sat -High volume bench (maybe dumbell) and dips. maybe flys?
Sun -rest

How do you think this looks as a rough template?
any suggestions appreciated?
also do you think it would be better to train am pm or like this?

Thanks

wasn’t working properly.

I would highly recommend Starting Strength or Bill Starr’s 5x5 Beginner program. They are both excellent and time-tested ways of putting on size AND strength in new weight trainees.