T Nation

Strength After Flu

I recently had a pretty bad bout of the flu and hit a workout again today, my numbers were shockingly low

It was low pin rack pulls today, normally i hit 650+ and today i couldn’t move 495

anyone else have these massive strength drops after illness?

today i could barely bench 225x3 when i can get 8-9 reps normally

You may not be fully recovered from it yet and it can also just be partially in your head. Your asssuming your going to suck since you have been out of the gym for a while and your body just follows what your thinking. I have seemed to have a rather rough year with getting sick and for me what I have done is on my first week back I ease into things, work on mobility and just getting my body moving.

On my 2nd week back I take a small step back from what I was lifting pre sickness and then by 3rd week I’m back where I started. Unless you have been out of the gym for multiple months I doubt you have actually lost the 150lbs. but thats just my thoughts.

[quote]Re.po wrote:
You may not be fully recovered from it yet and it can also just be partially in your head. Your asssuming your going to suck since you have been out of the gym for a while and your body just follows what your thinking. I have seemed to have a rather rough year with getting sick and for me what I have done is on my first week back I ease into things, work on mobility and just getting my body moving.

On my 2nd week back I take a small step back from what I was lifting pre sickness and then by 3rd week I’m back where I started. Unless you have been out of the gym for multiple months I doubt you have actually lost the 150lbs. but thats just my thoughts.[/quote]

I don’t doubt that it’s not a 150lbs loss straight and any losses should be recovered quickly, I was just surprised at the magnitude of it.

It’s pretty normal. I remember one time I was basically in bed for two weeks (one for four impacted wisdom teeth followed immediately by a week bout with the flu) and nearly passed out military pressing 95x3 (normal was 12-13 at the time). Pretty extreme case, took me about 3 weeks to start feeling normal again.

Strangely I’ve found that I tend to have amazing PR breaking workouts the day before I start get sick. Almost like my immune system going into overdrive supercharging my training too.

I was recently sick where I was shitting something nasty every 90 minutes or so, not allowing my body to absorb any nutrients and leaving me terribly dehydrated. I stopped eating solid foods for a few days, ate no meat for 4 days, stayed mostly in bed for a couple days, then went deadlifting intensely everyday straight for 10 days before I had even recovered, and ended with 94% of my 1 RM for 8 singles in 10 minutes on day 10.

Moral of the story: just because you’ve been sick doesn’t mean you’ll necessarily lose strength. However, if your mind tells your body that it won’t be strong, then your mind is guaranteed to be right.

“How you feel is a lie.”

Dehydration could be setting you back also.