T Nation

Strategy to Gain Muscle While Still Cyling a Lot

I ride to work 26 days daily, 13 miles each way. I average about 13mph as some of it is through traffic.

I train at lunchtimes, three days a week.

I am really confused therefore about how I should eat so that the cycling does not prevent muscle gain. Can anyone offer any advice?

I am 5 foot 9, 170lb with between 15-18 percent body fat. My initial goal is to be about 12 stone but weight but with about 10 percent bodyfat.

My diet at the moment is as follows, on a non-training day:

7am - Whey in Water
7.30 - Oats and Milk

10.30 - Chicken Breast with slice of bread

1.30 - Chicken Breast with slice of bread

4.30 - Another 30g protein of some sort

8pm - Fish & Veg & Brown Rice

11pm - Casein

On training days I do roughly the same but have ovbiousky whey and then sugar during and after workout.

THAT IS RIDICULOUS!!!

you are eating absolutely nothing. Where are your carbs, fats, HELL…where are your calories!!!
If I was trying to gain muscle on that diet I would die of boredom!!!

I’m very active…I work a physcially demanding job for 7-8 hours a day 6-7 days a week. You need to eat calorie dense food to get in the calories. But you also need it quick as I don’t have much time to prep food.

Thats why stuff like pizzas come in. For the calories. I still get the protein through the day.

Yes it is ridiculous, now that I have put it in a spreadsheet!! So I have amended , and it is now like this:

7am - Whey, 70g Oats, 500ml Milk - Protein 57, Carb 75, Fat 7
10am - Cottage Cheese 235g - Protein 39, Carb 23, Fat 2.7
1.30pm - Chicken Breast w slice of bread - Protein 43, Carb 20, Fat 8
4.30pm - Chicken Breast w slice of bread - Protein 43, Carb 20, Fat 8
7.30pm - Beef Chili with beans - approx Protein 30, Carb 20, Fat 10
10pm - Casein - Protein 35, Carb 1.5, Fat 1.5

TOTAL - Protein 253, Carb 174, Fat 38 Kcal 2043

Still too low in fat isn’t it? I want to make everything as least hassle as possible - so can I just add oil onto the breast when I eat it for some more fat?

Even if I increase this to 90g fat, its still only about 2500 kcal, which doesn’t really sound like enough does it? Based on the mass building article it said something like 3500 - so how many grams of carbs should I be getting to?

At the moment, protein represents 50 percent, carbs 35 and fat 17.

I wouldn’t know about how much fat YOU need!

IMO your total calories are way to low!

Try and get around 2g per lb of bodyweight. Its not a necessicity but try and get as close as possible.

If you are young you need to add in some more caloric dense foods like crisps or biscuits or something. Its simple, no prep time required and will help you build mass.

I don’t want to build that much mass, though. My goal first of all is to stay at the same weight, but lose 5-8 percent bodyfat.

That means gaining 14lb of muscle.

[quote]PabloDog wrote:
I don’t want to build that much mass, though. My goal first of all is to stay at the same weight, but lose 5-8 percent bodyfat.

That means gaining 14lb of muscle.[/quote]

It would be easier to do one thing then the other, i.e. gain muscle then lose fat. Just eat, if you’re active and eating well you won’t get fat. And based on your posts you don’t have to worry about gaining too much mass.

[quote]PabloDog wrote:

That means gaining 14lb of muscle.[/quote]

Regardless of how much mass you want to build you should always choose the most effective route to it.

You don’t want to spend the same amount of time building 14lbs of muscle as someone building 30!!! when you could have done yours quicker!