T Nation

Strategy for fatLoss over the long run

Guys I want to shed 90lbs of fat over the next 12 months. Would a diet of high protein with quality fiberous carbs (veggie) be ideal for my goals. Should I cycle between periods of gaining lean muscle and cycling fat or should I just take this year and slim down…

I think someone said the new version of the T-dawg diet will be posted today at T-mag in the update. You may want to check that out.

I’ll never argue when someone says they want th e bulk of their diet to be lean meat and veggies!

At 90lbs, I think you should alternate between strength phases (not bulking! just increasing strength) and leaning phases. If you spend the whole year just trying to lean out, you’ll get weaker and weaker and weaker. If you’re new at this, the more strength you have, the easier it is to do what you want with your body.

Judging by your stats, it sounds like you are relatively new to regular exercise and proper diet. As such, chances are that you can expect newbie gains, possibly losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time. I’d suggest taking it 2-3 months at a time. Set a short-term goal. Once you fulfill it, reevaluate what your long-term goal is based on what you see in the mirror, and set another short-term goal to work toward it. 90 pounds sounds like a very daunting task, but 7.5 pounds per month is quite a bit more conceivable. Good luck!

Hi, Guy!!! That’s a fabulous approach. I think you could eat as much as you want, never go hungry, and watch the pounds melt away.

The only other thing I’d like to see you do is add in your essential fatty acids, specifically flaxseed oil, Udo’s Choice and high-dose fish oil (EPA/DHA). Taking in quality fat when you’re on a low carbohydrate diet (which is what you would be on if you ate veggie-type carbs) speeds up the metabolism and causes the body to create enzymes that allow your body to draw upon fat stores for energy.

Do a search on the home page for Berardi and read everything the man’s ever written. Berardi is single-handedly responsible for putting me back on the road to fat loss when I thought I had reached the point that I just couldn’t lose weight.

I found that trying to bulk for a month or two on a good Massive Eating style diet gets my metabolism burning at an optimum rate. Then when I diet immediately (well after 1 week off working out,) the fat seems to melt off for about a month before really slowing down. I just would make sure to bulk, but keep an eye on your body fat. If it seems to creep up too fast, cut calories slowly while bulking until you get to a standstill, or a very slight increase in body fat. Once you can get your metabolism running along, take a short break, and then jump on a decent diet and exercise routine.

I think alternating between bulk and diet keeps the metabolism high for dieting, and when it is low, bulking is easier. At least it seems to work for me.