T Nation

Strategies to Eat More

What are some strategies you guys use to eat more/more calorie dense foods? Right now it seems like I need ~4000 calories just to put on like half a pound a week.

pretty sure i’m an ecto, 6’3" ~185 not saying as an excuse just so some people can relate and get tips from your guys’ responses.

How do you eat more? are there any good foods out there that stimulate hunger? I’m thinking of trying white rice for that anyone know if that’s true?

thx in advance

I watch the food network, man v food. And ill look up recipes online to try new stuff may seem weird but it def brings my appetite up

  1. Every other meal make it a liquid meal such as protein powder, peanutbutter, milk and a few eggs that’s 700 calories easy 3 times a day you half way there and have not even touched your big meals.
  2. When your eating your big meals do not drink anything. I know this sounds weird but people don’t think about it every oz of water in your stomach while eating is taking up room in your stomach.
  3. It takes 15-20 mins for your brain to realize its full so eat as much as you can in that 15 minute window don’t talk or fuck around just eat.
  4. Save fiber for later in the day. Fiber feels you up fast and keeps you Fuller for a while so if you take in a huge breakfast full of oatmeals and fruits will keep you Fuller longer. Not saying this is a bad thing in the over all picture but, you would do better to switch to grits or some rice.
  5. Same thing with fat it takes along timecto digest a high fat meal compared to lower so save alot of your fat intake for later in the say as well.
  6. Drink lots of water. Water will help speed up digestion and empty your stomach out faster to make more room.

[quote]Reed wrote:

  1. Every other meal make it a liquid meal such as protein powder, peanutbutter, milk and a few eggs that’s 700 calories easy 3 times a day you half way there and have not even touched your big meals.
  2. When your eating your big meals do not drink anything. I know this sounds weird but people don’t think about it every oz of water in your stomach while eating is taking up room in your stomach.
  3. It takes 15-20 mins for your brain to realize its full so eat as much as you can in that 15 minute window don’t talk or fuck around just eat.
  4. Save fiber for later in the day. Fiber feels you up fast and keeps you Fuller for a while so if you take in a huge breakfast full of oatmeals and fruits will keep you Fuller longer. Not saying this is a bad thing in the over all picture but, you would do better to switch to grits or some rice.
  5. Same thing with fat it takes along timecto digest a high fat meal compared to lower so save alot of your fat intake for later in the say as well.
  6. Drink lots of water. Water will help speed up digestion and empty your stomach out faster to make more room.[/quote]

what about drinking water after meals to stretch stomach? does that work?

Geynos- to be honest I have never tried that but I eat so much at most big meals that I couldn’t drink much more water without losing everything I ate. I usually have a minimum ofs 8 whole large eggs with cheese and vegetables, 24 oz milk, 3-4 5 inch whole wheat pancakes with cream cheese, and bowl of fruit. Sometimes more had a total of 14 eggs this morning due to my buddy not fishing his lol. This is probably a bit extreme for most but I only eat three times a day plus a shake before bed and am easily able to get in 4000 calories. But I can’t suggest this to the op because if he was capable of eating in this volume 4000 calories would be to easy to get.

So my stomach I imagine its abouts stretched to the Max. But between each main meal I drink 2 liters of water not to stretch my stomach just to help digestion. But I will do some research I am sure you can do it with food so I would imagine just the same is possible with liguid.

Make your meals as calorie dense as possible. Add cheese, sour cream, etc into everything, also drink put olive oil or heavy cream on everything.

do you just drink water plain? its hard me to drink a lot of that because it doesn’t taste all that good after a while… maybe i should flavor it with something (would have to be 0 calories thogh)

Yeah icdrink it plain I love the way water tastes I don’t know why but crystal light and mio are both good 0 Cal options.

this filtered water is pretty good, i got in the bad habit of drinking tap and it tastes like shit

Has anyone heard of the pill called “@#$%^&*” , its from a different brand other than the one that sponsors this site but it’s supposiblely suppose to help you eat more. Bullshit supp or not?

Lol is that really what its called

[quote]vali wrote:
Make your meals as calorie dense as possible. Add cheese, sour cream, etc into everything, also drink put olive oil or heavy cream on everything.[/quote]

no

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]vali wrote:
Make your meals as calorie dense as possible. Add cheese, sour cream, etc into everything, also drink put olive oil or heavy cream on everything.[/quote]

no[/quote]

Whatever man. heavy cream in my protein shakes added a lot of calories necessary to get me up in size. 1 oz = 100 calories. Not a fan of sour cream though.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]vali wrote:
Make your meals as calorie dense as possible. Add cheese, sour cream, etc into everything, also drink put olive oil or heavy cream on everything.[/quote]

no[/quote]

Whatever man. heavy cream in my protein shakes added a lot of calories necessary to get me up in size. 1 oz = 100 calories. Not a fan of sour cream though.[/quote]

Right, but did you put it on EVERYTHING? lol I just found that part of his post kinda humorous.

[quote]Reed wrote:

  1. Every other meal make it a liquid meal such as protein powder, peanutbutter, milk and a few eggs that’s 700 calories easy 3 times a day you half way there and have not even touched your big meals.
  2. When your eating your big meals do not drink anything. I know this sounds weird but people don’t think about it every oz of water in your stomach while eating is taking up room in your stomach.
  3. It takes 15-20 mins for your brain to realize its full so eat as much as you can in that 15 minute window don’t talk or fuck around just eat.
  4. Save fiber for later in the day. Fiber feels you up fast and keeps you Fuller for a while so if you take in a huge breakfast full of oatmeals and fruits will keep you Fuller longer. Not saying this is a bad thing in the over all picture but, you would do better to switch to grits or some rice.
  5. Same thing with fat it takes along timecto digest a high fat meal compared to lower so save alot of your fat intake for later in the say as well.
  6. Drink lots of water. Water will help speed up digestion and empty your stomach out faster to make more room.[/quote]

thanks a ton man. all sound like bomb tips. I’ve only being 2 and 3 so those other’s will probably help a ton.

[quote]Reed wrote:
Lol is that really what its called[/quote]
No lol I just didnt want my comment to be blocked

[quote]Andrewdwatters1 wrote:
What are some strategies you guys use to eat more/more calorie dense foods? Right now it seems like I need ~4000 calories just to put on like half a pound a week.

pretty sure i’m an ecto, 6’3" ~185 not saying as an excuse just so some people can relate and get tips from your guys’ responses.

How do you eat more? are there any good foods out there that stimulate hunger? I’m thinking of trying white rice for that anyone know if that’s true?

thx in advance[/quote]

It could be as simple as adding a couple tablespoons of EVOO to your protein shake, or drinking a couple eggs with each meal… there’s also nothing wrong with half a pound a week, although given your weight/height maybe its advisable to shoot for a little more.

I never had a problem with appetite, right now I am in the midst of a diet and I could so easily just eat my whole days worth of food in a single sitting. You probably have the opposite problem, you might not be hungry, but sometimes you’ve just got to force it down. I know through experience eating can be a chore when its day in, day out, especially when you fuck up and the chicken comes out super super dry… but it has to be done.

I am in this boat right now too. Having a hard time eating what I should be.