Straps: How Much Is Too Much

What if I can’t hold onto the bar even with straps? Am I using them wrong?

Specifically one arm tbar rows have been giving me trouble. I seem to get only a few more reps with the straps on, but the bar still falls out of my hand before I’m done with the set.

[quote]thogue wrote:

Specifically one arm tbar rows have been giving me trouble. I seem to get only a few more reps with the straps on, but the bar still falls out of my hand before I’m done with the set.[/quote]

There’s other factors that go into it, too. I will tell you right now, I have some really bad things working against me, which is why I use straps:

• Small hands (Plain and simple)
  • Hands get very sweaty while working out (…)
  • Carpal tunnel

Between those three factors alone I’m stuck with using straps even on things like laterals. Just do whatever… get bigger, get stronger. Train grip separately.

Just chiming in to say I use straps on pretty much all heavy back exercises as well. I have increased my volume significantly recently and the straps really help take some pressure off my elbow when pulling, which was getting a bit irritated with all the extra lifting I was doing.

[quote]thogue wrote:

Specifically one arm tbar rows have been giving me trouble. I seem to get only a few more reps with the straps on, but the bar still falls out of my hand before I’m done with the set.[/quote]

What kind of straps are you using? I was running into problems with the pair I bought at the local sporting goods shop. I ended up ordering a pair of spud straps of elite FTS and the difference is huge - have not had any exercise yet that I wanted more grip on when using those.

[quote]thogue wrote:

Keeping the straps loose around your wrists and wraping the whole strap around the bar, instead of just the tail, makes a huge difference

I would highly recomend a pair of pro series Versa Gripps. Everyone who has tried mine has baught them.

[quote]flat6nut wrote:
I would highly recomend a pair of pro series Versa Gripps. Everyone who has tried mine has baught them.

[/quote]

I have these also and I love them. I try to do as many sets as i can without them, then throw them on for the heavy stuff.

[quote]thogue wrote:

Chalk between bar and straps
Chalk between straps and hands

Used new 30" long beastly straps today… finally I can train traps properly. They also made a lot of sense for pinwheels, easily blasted out a new PR with them.

Me too, I hit 95’s x 3 pr on pinwheels, and a PR of 365 on BB Shrugs with straps! Good stuff.

[quote]hlss09 wrote:
Me too, I hit 95’s x 3 pr on pinwheels, and a PR of 365 on BB Shrugs with straps! Good stuff. [/quote]

57x6 pinwheels, 286x4 BB shrugs… you win :frowning: Only progressively overloaded pinwheels for a month or so, BB shrugs… never ha

I do American weights, no metrics or kilograms lol, so you win! Either way, they’re damn amazing! AND, I used them for Sumo DL and Stiff Leg DL’s today!

Nah man I’d converted my weighs… how embarrassing (for me). I think deadlift is the only grip-heavy exercise I’m going to continue not to use them with, don’t have any grip issues with mixed grip and chalk and I’m hoping this will keep forearms up to scratch

Oh well, good work nonetheless. I’m doing sumo DL’s lately and I think the straps are helping more than hurting. Plus I’d rather add 10 pounds to my DL than have a strong grip!

[photo]31490[/photo]

Before using straps, about a year and a half or so ago

After using straps on every back exercise for about a year and a half…

They have definatly helped and I will swear by them

Out of curiosity, why are people using straps for presses? I’m not sure how that would even work on a press?

[quote]jake_j_m wrote:
Great thread.

[quote]synergy93 wrote:
a lot of sense[/quote]

Hell yeah, awesome thread. Someone donated a pair to us last week and we’ve yet to dead this week. Interesting to hear about the loss of grip strength.

[quote]forlife wrote:
Out of curiosity, why are people using straps for presses? I’m not sure how that would even work on a press?[/quote]

Adds some safety if you use a thumbless grip

spares the skin on your hands if you use a normal grip?