T Nation

Straps for Deadlifting

I’ve been doing the Westside for skinny bastards program but my grip is giving out when I do maximum effort deadlifts. I bought some straps to use for the last couple of sets for when the weights get heavy (for me!) but I’m having trouble using them. I always stand up and reset after each rep. I spend very little time in the down poition (I think it’s called using the stretch reflex). By the time I’ve got set up with the straps and wrapped them around the bar and got my grip I seem to have spent so long down there that my form is a mess and I can’t even get the bar to move! Is this a common problem (i doubt it!)? Any suggestions please?

Hooks. If you use hooks instead of straps, you won’t have to spend as much time getting them adjusted before each lift. If the t-jack reports are still around in the archives, do a search for 1-ton hooks and read about them.

Save the straps for high pulls?

I have found that my grip is the limiting factor in my own deadlifting efforts.

So, what can I say? Improve your grip.

Don’t crouch down into starting position to get your straps set, bend over at the waist instead. Then once they are set, drop down, get your head up and pull. Also, you can practice wrapping your straps so that you can do them quickly.

[quote]Breakdown wrote:
I’ve been doing the Westside for skinny bastards program but my grip is giving out when I do maximum effort deadlifts. I bought some straps to use for the last couple of sets for when the weights get heavy (for me!) but I’m having trouble using them. I always stand up and reset after each rep. I spend very little time in the down poition (I think it’s called using the stretch reflex). By the time I’ve got set up with the straps and wrapped them around the bar and got my grip I seem to have spent so long down there that my form is a mess and I can’t even get the bar to move! Is this a common problem (i doubt it!)? Any suggestions please?[/quote]

Deads at this type of max weight should only be a one pull maybe 2 pull limit. Try to stretch your legs back while still keeping your wraps on, or just get more handy with the straps and reset yourself. Get down-get on-pull up. Keep working

If deadlifting with weight requiring straps yet using relatively low rest intervals, simply don’t unstrap. Stay strapped and rest on your knees. As the go time approaches, sinch up your straps, stand up, get in position, and GO.

start the bar off the ground

I have never tried this for deadlifts as I have never had a grip problem using a normal alternating grip but it works great for me on cleans and snatches although it may take a week or so to get used to. I believe it’s called a hook grip and rather than curling thumb around bar and putting your thumb over your other four fingers in the grip, you curl it around bar and put it under the other four fingers so you are essentially grabbing the bar and your thumb with your other four fingers.

I was never able to clean or snatch without straps and always found it a problem that I had to lower the weight myself and waste all the energy bringing it back to the ground rather than dropping the rubber weights from above. But when I dropped it I had to rewrap. I started using the hook grip though and could drop the bar and get set back up without having to rewrap and have never had a weight that I can’t lift b/c of grip problems. Just a thought. If you wanna use wraps though, some people wrap the wrap until it can’t be wrapped any more and then grip on top of it but I found it’s a lot faster of a wrap and I didn’t notice any lost hold on the bar when I would just wrap it around the bar for one complete turn and throw the rest of the strap in between my middle and ring finger and just grab the bar like that.

[quote]vroom wrote:
Save the straps for high pulls?

I have found that my grip is the limiting factor in my own deadlifting efforts.

So, what can I say? Improve your grip.[/quote]

Gee thanks for that (cheeky smiley thing)

There is grip work in the Westside for Skinny Bastards program but I wanna do heavy deadlifts, i wanna, i wanna, i wanna, i wanna - it’s fun!

Good suggestions thanks very much. I’m practising on a dumbbell I’ve got at home. Are there any tricks of the trade to doing it quickly or is it just practise makes perfect? (tut… why are youngsters always looking for a shortcut and the quick solution these days).

I just put my hand through the hole, then wrap the straps around the bar, then use my normal grip (the one that crushes your thumb at first) on top of the straps. It did help a bit today but It didn’t feel very tight.

[quote]Breakdown wrote:
Good suggestions thanks very much. I’m practising on a dumbbell I’ve got at home. Are there any tricks of the trade to doing it quickly or is it just practise makes perfect? (tut… why are youngsters always looking for a shortcut and the quick solution these days).

I just put my hand through the hole, then wrap the straps around the bar, then use my normal grip (the one that crushes your thumb at first) on top of the straps. It did help a bit today but It didn’t feel very tight.[/quote]

hmmm doesnt sound like your using the straps right… I’ve never seen straps where you put your wrist through the loop, usually you use the loop kinda like a choke chain so when the weight pulls on the strap it tightens up on your wrist.

Hopefully someone will post a website showing the proper setup of lifting straps.

Finally it sounds like your main complaint is from wanting to stand up and reset between each REP? Am I reading that correctly?

[quote]JNeves wrote:
hmmm doesnt sound like your using the straps right… I’ve never seen straps where you put your wrist through the loop, usually you use the loop kinda like a choke chain so when the weight pulls on the strap it tightens up on your wrist.

Hopefully someone will post a website showing the proper setup of lifting straps.

Finally it sounds like your main complaint is from wanting to stand up and reset between each REP? Am I reading that correctly? [/quote]

The main complaint is not being able to pull the bar when I’m using straps. On the last couple of sets today I started without straps and felt the bar slipping out of my hands so I had to drop it. Then I used straps and couldn’t get the bar to budge from ground, mainly because I think I spent to long putting the straps on.

I like to stand up just to reset myself, take a deep breath, get my core tight then quickly get down to the bar and pull. If I don’t stand up I’m sure that I lose my form and my lower back tends to be really sore.