Strangest Person at Your Gym

At a fitness center that I used to belong to, there was this woman that did nothing but ride the stationary bike, as far as I could tell. She was in her 30’s but it was hard to tell for sure because she was at least 6 feet tall, and weighed perhaps 98 pounds dripping wet.

Dripping wet was the strange part. She’d sit on that bike and go at it for at least an hour, and perspire like a fat man in a bathtub. She’d always have at least three towels and half a roll of paper towels with her to soak up all the sweat. It’s been a few years, but I can still see her clearly, all skin and bones and sweat, pumping the shit out of that bike like the devil was chasing her. She would get some really bewildered looks from people, especially young women.

At NYSC in Manhattan, there’s a woman in her early 40s. She works out on the machines, but never does a full range of motion. She cranks out hundreds of repetitions that are only about 1" of movement. The wierdest thing is that she is in awesome shape.

The guy who scans my tag in the morning could double as Bud Bundy.

[quote]Sonny S wrote:
Anyone have the old guy who walks around the locker room and sauna area naked, who reads the paper on a bench naked, and in general hangs around more than he should naked?

I don’t think he’s gay, he just doesn’t care anymore and isn’t in a rush to go anywhere.[/quote]

ugh, there are a lot of those at the gym i train at… nasty

great stuff guys!

not sure i can top some the the good ones here, but i will take a poke:

ther is this tall, strapping (but not very muscular) 40-50 year old guy who works out in cut up t-shirts and camo-shorts, that lives on the hammer decline press and cable tricept pushdown. I SWEAR THAT IS ALL I HAVE SEEN HIM DO!

he goes up to like 5 plates each sid on the hammer machine, and the stack on pushdowns, and hs this elaborate ritual pscyh-up where he talks to himself, breaths heavy, and shadow boxes in the mirror. he does his set with a lot of yelling, bouncing and terrible form, and when he finishes he often hits the machine like it was a heavy bag for a few combinations.

not many people i am afraid of, but this guy scares me.

Honestly, with all my squatting, deadlifting and jumping rope I bet everyone at the gym thinks Im the strange one

The strangest person I ever met ,wasnt at my gym , rather at work.Years ago ; while in university , I was working at TOYS R US. My first day , I met this women who asked me if I could speak Klikgon ( as in the aliens from star trek).Of course I said no. She said too bad ,cause the latest issue of "how to speak KLINGKON " ,just came out.

i realise thats the thread is the strangest person in your gym , however , I just thought youd enjoy it.

Gym I used to go to had this guy wearing a little black (sometimes white) skirt or maybe it was a tutu.

He also had white tights ( or whatever you call them), a white camisole and white gloves. But let’s not forget his beige outfit.

And man that guy had more hair on his chest and back than chewbacca but he at least kept his hair in a ponytail. That was decent of him.

Another guy would be walking around with shorts so tight you could tell… well! never mind…

1 Like

[quote]wesstangl wrote:
The strangest person I ever met ,wasnt at my gym , rather at work.Years ago ; while in university , I was working at TOYS R US. My first day , I met this women who asked me if I could speak Klikgon ( as in the aliens from star trek).Of course I said no. She said too bad ,cause the latest issue of "how to speak KLINGKON " ,just came out.

i realise thats the thread is the strangest person in your gym , however , I just thought youd enjoy it.[/quote]

I had a Klingon once, I shook a little and it fell off.

Eh, my gym is kind of boring. Well, there is the one woman that works the front desk and looks like the late Cubs radio announcer Harry Cary. What made it funnier was that my old trainer could do a dead-on impersonation of ol’ Harry. Whenever she walked buy, I’d hear “AND THERE’S A LINE DRIVE DOWN THE 3RD BASELINE!” Not hall of fame humor, but decent nonetheless.

And of course, we have the standard issue old naked guys and the guys that smell like a rotten cheesesteak.

There’s this italian farther and son duo and my gym. All they ever train is chest, with terrible form! There actually pretty strong on the bench but no where else. Saw them train legs once…they hit 70 kilos on the leg press…lame or what! And they always always where vests and tracksuit bottoms. I doubt anyone’s ever seen their pathetic chicken legs.!

At my gym there are these two guys one who is about mid 40’s, the other is mid 30’s. First off, the guy in his 30’s is like the other guys side-kick, dresses some what like him but not a bad I’ll explain that later). The older guy started wearing a backwards hat lately, the other, who always used to wear a hat turned his backwards.

The older guy is kind of muscular but has a pretty big gut, and to cover up his gut he always has on a belt. His back is quite wide but has no thickness, it is as flat as a wall. He comes out of the locker room either wearing clown pants (Bright blue and purple poofy pants that look like he stole them from MC Hammer, or short short spandex shorts (Quite gross may I add). He sometimes comes out with a torn -up sweatshirt but strips that off after his warm up and reveals his usual shirt(if you can even call it that) it is more like suspenders made out of two brightly colored strings, he is basically shirtless.

I think he has the strings because the gym requires a “shirt”. He is overly tanned, makes him look like he is made of leather and always looks pissed off. He walks around like he own the gym, but the thing is he isn’t even strong, he must be around 210 pounds yet I am much stronger than him. His side-kick looks like charlie brown with glasses on a 6 foot body(It’s odd looking)and they both do quarter reps on everything.

And every time Charlie Brown does a rep he sounds like a blow off valve PSSSST. It really pisses me off. The older guy bites his lower lip, makes the ugliest face imaginable and when doing his final rep yells extremely loud.

i don’t know about you guys but my gym has quite the epidemic of arm curlers. that’s okay but not when you yell every rep like you’re about to crap a brick. these two guys come in about 8:00 every time i’m there and immediately start curling. Cheating barbell curls, cheating dumbbell curls, cheating cable curls, squatting barbell curls, and of course overhead tricep extensions, every rep of which is completed by yelling at the top of your lungs.

i think the worst part is when the leader does the high pulley cable curl and not only cheats, he yells like it is taking all his 160 pound herculean might to curl 50 lbs per arm. in between sets, they flirt with the girl on the stairmaster or hang with the guys who look hyyyooooggggeee with their 16" arms.

i want headphones for Christmas…

[quote]T-Nick wrote:
Honestly, with all my squatting, deadlifting and jumping rope I bet everyone at the gym thinks Im the strange one[/quote]

I’m with you on this one. On some other forum thread, some guy is writing about me, “There is this dude who always wears chuck taylor shoes like he is trying to be retro or something and all he does is take up space in the curling rack by doing power cleans and snatches like he is in the olympics or something. What a douche. He doesn’t even squat right, he holds the bar in front of him. I’ve never seen him curl, someone should teach him how to workout.”

1 Like

God - There’s been so many over nearly 20 years of training - where do I start???

The lady at Syosset Gold’s in the 90’s who used to yell at anyone who deadlifted b/c the banging used to mess with the spirits in her head.

Any one of those in Powerhouse Farmingdale who follows Steve Mihalek and the bullshit he preaches like a cult member, especially the “Go Team” together that sounds like a “Whoa Bundy” call.

The surfer in the early AM at Deer Park Gold’s who constantly feels the need to post ad infinitum pics of himself surfing on the gym’s message board for attention.

The Karate dope in the PM at the same gym who needs to shadow box/kick for god knows how long in between his three inch reps with 225 on the bench and then flexes his 13 inch pythons in the mirror.

Chances are, however, I am the strange one to them, since I do such horribly wierd exercises such as zerchers starting from the bottom, deadlifts on plates, snatches, 1 arm snatches, rock bottom squats without belts and wraps, and attach chains or bands to the bar on my speed days!!!

1 Like

I’m so glad I have a home gym now. What I recall is the girl who had active ringworm and another one who had obvious conjunctivits touching all the equipment.

[quote]BH6 wrote:
T-Nick wrote:
Honestly, with all my squatting, deadlifting and jumping rope I bet everyone at the gym thinks Im the strange one

I’m with you on this one. On some other forum thread, some guy is writing about me, “There is this dude who always wears chuck taylor shoes like he is trying to be retro or something and all he does is take up space in the curling rack by doing power cleans and snatches like he is in the olympics or something. What a douche. He doesn’t even squat right, he holds the bar in front of him. I’ve never seen him curl, someone should teach him how to workout.” [/quote]

lol are you serious? The curling rack! hahaha, i dont even know what to say to that.

Lots of good stuff on this thread!

I’ll start at the most recent and work my way back.

According to a reliable source, this kid at my gym who is about 18 or so and who is tall and skinny got ahold of a cycle of some AAS about two months ago. After taking his shit for the first week (and probably feeling big, but was so far not looking it), he walked in with the sleeves of his t-shirt rolled up. Now I don’t mean a few folds along the seam to free up his ROM, but literally, rolled up like a carpet so that they sat on top of his shoulders, exposing his entire deltoids and leaving an inch-high worm of fabric encircling each shoulder.

A coworker and fellow comic enthusiast of mine that goes to the gym had seen him and later on that day described him to me at work as “looking like Iron Man’s breast plate” (see picture). From this, I gave the young lad the nickname “War Machine”, a similar armored hero who sported a shoulder cannon (a la Predator), for the uninitiated.

Now, a few months into his cycle, War Machine’s arms and shoulders have some good size, but everything else on him is shit. I mean, the most chickeny, disproportionate legs I have ever seen, and a noticeably rounded upper back from too much chest and not enough back work.

Incidentally, he is the ring leader of this group of dipshits I mentioned yesterday in another thread:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1286778&pageNo=8#1314036

[quote]Petedacook wrote:
This freak shows up at my gym and he is scary. [/quote]

Hey!!! I’ve seen that guy before! He’s a real faggot. He took his wife’s last name when they got married!

There’s a women at the community center gym and I don’t see her there often. She’s about 30, in really good shape, and has a great rack. She always wears tight tops and sportin’ a pair of true diamond cutter nipples. I always used to complain that it was too cold in the gym (air condition the cardio bunnies). It made it hard to concentrate and really “get in the zone”. Now it’s even harder to concentrate but I stopped complaining. Thats not really weird but was worth sharing.

now for a weird one:
I definately prefer to train at my highschool gym. We don’t have to many wierd things goin’ on because we have a half-way decent lifting coach and he doesn’t piss around. There is a senior in there that doesn’t do much more than bench. He does what is best described as ‘the blowjob bench’. He doesn’t grunt, he doesn’t scream, he sucks. Each rep he sucks in really hard and blows out really hard, several times throughout the course of the rep. He even does the jerky head motion to match.