Strangest Person at Your Gym

Most people tend to be more normal than they are strange, but this one guy at my gym is the strangest person I have ever seen in a non-institutional setting.

He looks to be in his 50’s and the guys upper body is huge, but all his muscles are shaped very strange. It is very hard to describe, but there is no proportion, and he has a very pronounced hunch and tanned like a good quality leather. His back is covered with massive acne and acne scars. But his legs, well, most of the girls have larger legs than him. Also, he is on massive steroids, and I only found this out when he was telling another guy in the locker room about what he was on. All I ever see him doing is machines. He always lights up a cigarette when he is leaving the gym, which explains why he is constantly hacking phlegm when he is working out.

many young kids go to him for advice, because his chest is so hyooge! (but I have never seen him bench press)

The guy actually frightens me, because I think he’s getting in character for the next Tolkien movie. Very strange.

There are some other strange ones (like crazy “too much make-up” lady) but this guy definitely is at the top of the list.

I had a guy at the YMCA I used to work out at that barked like a goddam seal on every single rep.

At my old gym there was this crazy tall guy about 45 or so years old that used to come in around 5pm dressed in a post office uniform (I really hope he was actually a postman) and go straight to the bench press area. He would put on 2 plates per side and without a warm up, jump on the bench and pump out reps.

EVERY SINGLE rep he would yell “HUSSSSSSS… HUSSSSSSSS” and as he muscled out the last rep of EVERY set he would scream “UNCONVENTIONAL!!!” He would stay on the bench for about 45 mintues, resting about 5 minutes inbetween sets staring creepily at whoever was nearby. He would do this about 3 times a week and I never saw him do any other exercise!

The scariest thing was, after about 5 months of the time I first noticed him, he began to amass disciples for his “UNCONVENTIONAL!!!” school… about 3-4 people in the gym would yell that out during their sets and a few people would work in with him on bench.

That guy was awesome.

2 Likes

This goofy looking guy at my gym has crazy eyes, not like I’m going to to kill you crazy, just the, I might be seeing little green men crazy.

So every time he comes in he gets on the Chest Supported Row Machine and with about 20lbs on it pulls it back then lets it slam down with every rep, grunting each time. Then he gets up and sits on another machine to rest for about 15mins.

Last time he happened to decide to rest on a machine my GF was using, when she asked if she could use it he said “No”.

She told me, I talked to him, he moved. He does’nt rest on the equipment anymore.

I was not mean to him or anything, like I said he’s got that “I’m not all there” look in his eyes, like he got kicked by a horse.

I actually kind of feel bad for him.

Strangest guy at my wife’s gym, a cop in his 60’s who actually pushed her and knocked her over yelling “MOVE” instead of saying “excuse me”.

Being the more sensible one in the relationship, it took my wife hours to convince me not to go over there and take a pipe to the assh&*^. I tried to get her to press charges, but because we know that cops look after their own, it would not be prudent to be on their bad side. And because he’s a cop, the YMCA won’t revoke his membership either.

Atleast she’s feisty one and gave him quite the dressing down.

And to think once I wanted to be one.

Strangest thing I saw at the gym was a personal trainer who weighs about 3 bills at a height of about 5’4". The strange part was, someone was actually paying this tub of goo to train her. I always see this same guy walking around drinking whatever suppliment drink they sell at 24hr Fatness (Muscle Milk RTD shakes, Turbo Tea, whatever).

Quite bizarre.

There a guy at my gym. He’s very curious. He wants to know what everyone is up to, how much is on the bar, what their plans for the barell are. He’s a very interesting fellow. He does very, very little in the way of actually working out. But he asks some good questions. Albeit, at some very strange times.

He entered the gym once and saw me on the platform pacing back and forth. The bar was loaded with 182.5 kg. A lot of weight for me. I was attempting to clean and jerk this weight. The first time I ever attempted to even clean this much. I was nervous. Getting focused. Talking to myself. Pacing. My coach and a couple other lifters were gathered around, watching, offering encouragement.

I am getting distracted but not letting on because I saw this guy walk in and he’s standing across the gym now, looking at me. He’s standing very still, just glaring at me and the scene back by the platform. I say to myself, “Okay. Okay. Ignore him. You can get this lift in before he gets back here!” I chalk up. Address the bar. I see him out of the corner of my eye. He’s coming back. “Shit.”

I’m bend down, take my grip, settle on my haunches. Visualizing the lift now. He’s getting closer. He walks in front of the platform, literally a few feet in front of me (walking in front of the platform just before or during a lift is a serious no-no). I take a big breath a get ready to pull and he leans in, head over the front of the platform and says, “How much is that!?”

I let out my breath, let go of the bar, stood up straight and yelled, “GODDAMN IT!” Turned my back on him and walked off the platform and went over to the drinking fountain. My coach said, “It’s nine-hunded pounds!” He’s pissed. Lying (it’s 401). The guy says, “That’s a lot.” Impressed. He turns and walks out of the gym. He never came back. He was there, literally, for a minute and half…and totally fucked me up.

We have this overweight African-American woman who comes in wearing a spandex sports bra and spandex shorts. She gets on the treadmill and jacks it up to max elevation and starts walking, but holding on to the front handrails for dear life so her whole body is leaning back perpendicular to the inclined deck.

That’s not the weird thing…she wraps her legs in plastic wrap from her crotch to her knees.

There’s another guy who gets the eliptical maching going crazy fast, it’s hilarious then he moves over onto one leg, keeping his hands pumping full speed while his whole body goes up and down, up and down.

1 Like

There are these two workout partners that started coming to Y I go to a couple of months ago who are pretty damn strange. One is a man and the other is a woman (kind of) but judging from their conversations they are not involved other than for training.

Anyway, the woman is by far the more muscular of the two and and judging from her face, no stranger to androgens. The guy looks like he’s a reject from the 80’s. Their workouts consist of one excercise done very slowly and strictly with very light weight. They perform set after set after set of just this one excercise. I was in the gym for an hour and a half one day last week and I swear they did nothing but stiff legged deads the entire time. It’s totally bizarre.

The bad thing is this gym only has one power rack so if they get on it first, everyone else is pretty much screwed.

theres this one guy at the gym I go to that gets up on the Chin up bar…only to do sets of swinging back and forth…the first time I saw it I just thought he was fooling around but nope he does it every Monday

This doesn’t qualify as strange, more funny. I saw two kids today, skinny and maybe 16. One black kid was benching all of 105 lbs. He was quaking like he had Parkinson’s. He racks the weight and turns to the white kid with him and is like “My arms are shaking too much, let’s do the machine.” Yeah, of course he’s shaking. He’s piss-ass weak and doesn’t bench properly.

At my old gym there was a really old guy who used to wear a muscle outfit that was striped red and white and he looked like Where’s Waldo. He would also wear those big plastic headgear radios which made it look even funnier.

1 Like

Whenever I go to the gym I see these three guys hang out bench pressing.
The first guy,who can’t be any older than 45 and obtrusively yells during his workouts, is no taller than 5 feet and has short little legs,with the exception of a huge chest to accommodate his rather large guns and upper body.

He is still pretty damn strong too.
The second guy is of asian descent:Pretty strong,good amount of muscle on him.
But he looks like he hasn’t made any progress in the gym for the last two years I’ve been going there.

The third guy isn’t even a guy.
He’s a skinny,18 year old kid who works there.
He follows them around in the gym and acts like he can lift a good amount of weight too.
Nevertheless,he still acts like he’s special because he hangs out with these guys.
No matter what these guys do in the gym,or when,their workouts are usually hasty.

This pretentious asian guy,who isn’t any older than 30 years old, somehow gets jealous whenever I’m benching near him.
As if I did something wrong!
It’s probably because I’m younger and I’m bigger than him.
And the skinny kid acts like he is somehow more knowledgable than me at everything I do in the gym.

Did I mention that he probably has less than a year of training underneath his belt?

You sure do get some queer personalities in the gym.

[quote]enterthedojo wrote:
At my old gym there was this crazy tall guy about 45 or so years old that used to come in around 5pm dressed in a post office uniform (I really hope he was actually a postman) and go straight to the bench press area. He would put on 2 plates per side and without a warm up, jump on the bench and pump out reps.

EVERY SINGLE rep he would yell “HUSSSSSSS… HUSSSSSSSS” and as he muscled out the last rep of EVERY set he would scream “UNCONVENTIONAL!!!” He would stay on the bench for about 45 mintues, resting about 5 minutes inbetween sets staring creepily at whoever was nearby. He would do this about 3 times a week and I never saw him do any other exercise!

The scariest thing was, after about 5 months of the time I first noticed him, he began to amass disciples for his “UNCONVENTIONAL!!!” school… about 3-4 people in the gym would yell that out during their sets and a few people would work in with him on bench.

That guy was awesome.[/quote]

This is honestly one of the funniest things I’ve ever read in my life.

Quick question: could I apply this technique during any exercise or only benching?

Anyone have the old guy who walks around the locker room and sauna area naked, who reads the paper on a bench naked, and in general hangs around more than he should naked?

I don’t think he’s gay, he just doesn’t care anymore and isn’t in a rush to go anywhere.

1 Like

This is an accurate representation of a guy at my “gym” aka the fitness center, I believe his name is Mike and I see him there every M/W/F. I swear this is pretty close! And yes those are the pockets hanging out the bottom of those cut off jean shorts!!!

1 Like

There is this freak that shows up at my gym and he grins at himself. Really creepy.

When I lifted in a regular gym before moving to my garage, there was this one strong old bastard there almost every time I was there. He could really throw the weight around and he looked normal enough, but what made him stand out was his incredibly foul odor. He smelled much like a rotting carcass. Most of this, I assumed, came from his training clothes which looked like they hadn’t been washed in at least a decade.

He could actually stain an area with his stink. I kind of think that might’ve been his way of keeping a power rack or bench on busy days.

[quote]Sonny S wrote:
Anyone have the old guy who walks around the locker room and sauna area naked, who reads the paper on a bench naked, and in general hangs around more than he should naked?

I don’t think he’s gay, he just doesn’t care anymore and isn’t in a rush to go anywhere.[/quote]

I think these are a mandatory requirement for every gym to have.

“Strangest person at my gym?”

Probably would have to be this old guy who thinks he is a cowboy and sometimes works our in his cowboy boots.

Wait a minute here. I’m the only one who works out in my basement gym. :frowning: