Strange Weight Loss

I’m posting this in hopes that someone has sage advice for me. Let’s start at the start. I’m 36, and have been lifting seriously for about a year. Not that I’m trying to become a colossus, but I’d like to be in a shape that is other than a beach ball.

Strangely, through lifting I’ve gotten stronger, but not bigger. Even when I was eating “clean” and a lot, my weight and body fat would stay relatively stable.

Since April, I’ve cut 15 pounds and 1.5% body fat with changing my diet. This is a good thing, and I’m a long way from finished. My problem is HOW I’m losing… My watch and wedding ring are too big now. My shirts are too big in the neck and chest. I’m losing at the extremities, while the belly doesn’t seem to be much, if any, smaller. What the heck?

I guess the question is, am I doing something wrong? Is there a remedy?

Please advise

[quote]Alovats wrote:
I’m posting this in hopes that someone has sage advice for me. Let’s start at the start. I’m 36, and have been lifting seriously for about a year. Not that I’m trying to become a colossus, but I’d like to be in a shape that is other than a beach ball.
Strangely, through lifting I’ve gotten stronger, but not bigger. Even when I was eating “clean” and a lot, my weight and body fat would stay relatively stable.
Since April, I’ve cut 15 pounds and 1.5% body fat with changing my diet. This is a good thing, and I’m a long way from finished. My problem is HOW I’m losing… My watch and wedding ring are too big now. My shirts are too big in the neck and chest. I’m losing at the extremities, while the belly doesn’t seem to be much, if any, smaller. What the heck?

I guess the question is, am I doing something wrong? Is there a remedy?

Please advise[/quote]

I went through a very similar situation. I lost 58lbs in 11 months. I lost a lot in the mid-section, but there is more that needs to come off. In my experience, the mid-section is the first place you gain it and the last place you lose it. Just keep doing what you are doing. You’ll get there.

muttley

Thanks for the support. It’s frustrating to watch. Hopefully I can get another 25 pounds off and look like a man again.

[quote]Alovats wrote:
Thanks for the support. It’s frustrating to watch. Hopefully I can get another 25 pounds off and look like a man again.[/quote]

You get your perspective moved, too.

When I was exceeding 44" or so in the waist (I’m now wearing size 34 pants) I didn’t think I was that fat. Now I can see the flab and know I need to lose more weight.

For men, the fat deposited between the organs around the midsection is the toughest to lose (centrla body adiposity).

Trust me, keep it up and in a few months it will start to melt away. I am fighting off the last 15lbs and it’s ALL on my beltline. I’m lean and vascular everywhere else.

PS - I’m 36 too.

I’m glad that there’s guys out there with the same problem.

Would increased cardio help? I do two days of it, usually tuesday and thursday, and Saturdays are spent doing manual labor (lawn mowing, gardening, etc)