Strange Pain From Board Presses

I just bought my 2 board press from elitefts.com and did 2 sets of max triples on the benchpress yesterday. Everything was fine during my workout, but on the drive home, my elbow became excrutiatingly painful, to the point where I could not use that arm at all.

Now (1-1/2 days later), it feels almost fine, although my other elbow is a little sore too. I am almost sure the pain is originating from the board presses, because nothing else in my workout was out the ordinary. Any ideas or similar experiences?

Have you done heavy benching recently? Have you taken a deload recently? How much weight do you use on your board press compared to your regular bench?

I get elbow pain if I do heavy benching for extended periods of time. Something that has really helped is doing sets of 25 with band pushdowns. 2 sets of 25 or so before training and 4 sets of 25 after.

-Matt

make sure you warm your elbows up real good before working them.

Like Matt said, high rep miniband pushdowns (50-100 per arm), ice afterwards and don’t do stuff that hurts. If you are board pressing and it starts hurting, stop board pressing and move on to the next exercise.

Try to find a group of lifters to train with to make sure you are doing things right.

take care

Nothing hurt while I was exercising, it was the car ride ride home when the pain started. I was board-pressing for triples right around what my normal bench press would be. And, yes, I have been accustomed to going heavy; I just did a powerlifting competition 2 weekends ago.

[quote]TunaMonkey wrote:
Nothing hurt while I was exercising, it was the car ride ride home when the pain started. I was board-pressing for triples right around what my normal bench press would be. And, yes, I have been accustomed to going heavy; I just did a powerlifting competition 2 weekends ago. [/quote]

Do these things, warm up thoroughly. Get elbow sleeves to keep your elbows warm. Use wrist wraps.

Other than deloading as already stated, try this stuff. You see, board presses allow you to use greater weight that your body is often not used to. you have to try a different approach if you are going to stay healty.

I myself used to use short wrist wraps. As the loads increased on board presses, I had to go with the full length metals, or I would experience forearm pain.

Try this stuff and vary your load and you’ll be okay.