Strange New Sensation

Wondering if anyone here has ever had laprascopic abdominal surgery? I just added weight and changed my ab routine courtesy Chritiane’s Sexy Ab article. First off- I’m real thrilled to do something other than crunches and plain old fashion sit ups. I’ve been doing crunches and sit ups since I got the go ahead in April of 2004. I can bang out sets of 50 and feel nothing in the morning.

Secondly- Appr. 3 hours after the ab workout I felt some discomfort, not pain, not soreness, not exactly sure how to describe it, at the incision sites on my lower abs. They are 1/4" or less in length, barely visible and located between my hip and pubic bones.

I’ve had quite enough of doctors this month. Wondering if this is something to worry about or it’s been sooooo damn long since I’ve challenged my abs I furgot what it felt like.

Can I expect the same ab strength post surgery that I had presurgery? I had three total (less than 1/4") incisions. One in my belly button, and the other two described. Surgeon answered that question like a bad politician.

I had a 4in. cut similar to cesarian (removing a tumor) 8 years ago. I got pain beneath edges of the incision after ab work or big sneezes. I can feel a bit of scar tissue in there so I guess between scarring and the muscle rebuilding, it just happens. Pain went away after couple years. I had to do somethings diferently, but end result had more strength than before

I did some of the exercises from that article Friday. I have not felt this much ab soreness in a long long time.

I’ve never had the surgery that you spek of, but my abs hurt so bad yesterday and this morning that it feels like I’ve never worked out before.

Gawd I love that feeling.

I was hoping this had something to do with Vics Vapo-Rub and a cat-o-nine tails, but what the heck, it might be adhesions of the abdominal muscles.
Do you ever do arches, twists, any kind of stretching for those parts?

[quote]911 Girl wrote:
Wondering if anyone here has ever had laprascopic abdominal surgery? I just added weight and changed my ab routine courtesy Chritiane’s Sexy Ab article. First off- I’m real thrilled to do something other than crunches and plain old fashion sit ups. I’ve been doing crunches and sit ups since I got the go ahead in April of 2004. I can bang out sets of 50 and feel nothing in the morning.

Secondly- Appr. 3 hours after the ab workout I felt some discomfort, not pain, not soreness, not exactly sure how to describe it, at the incision sites on my lower abs. They are 1/4" or less in length, barely visible and located between my hip and pubic bones.

I’ve had quite enough of doctors this month. Wondering if this is something to worry about or it’s been sooooo damn long since I’ve challenged my abs I furgot what it felt like.

Can I expect the same ab strength post surgery that I had presurgery? I had three total (less than 1/4") incisions. One in my belly button, and the other two described. Surgeon answered that question like a bad politician.[/quote]

911 Girl

I am assuming that with your statement “I got the go ahead in April of 2004” That your Lap was done a year ago in Late Feb or March.

Your 1/4 inch cuts were made with a scalpel. Your abdomen is inflated with nitrogen and then a large “Port” or Trocanter was slide through each of the abdominal layers so that the tools needed could be passed through. Think of these ports like a large needle with a 3/8 of an inch outside diameter. The port at the umbilicus is used mainly for the camera.

What I believe has happened, in your case, is that you have formed scar tissue AKA adhesions between the three muscle layers of your lower abdomen. This area, usually, has thin muscles so adhesions are easy to form across the three layers. These adhesions can afix the layers and anchor them so that they do not move seperately. Now flex your rectus abd and your obliques at the same time. They will pull in different directions on this anchor point.

When you did a hard taxing workout you stretched this scar tissue or adhesions. This stretching may have broken the adhesions loose to allow the muscles to move freely in their fascia or stretched the adhesions to allow more movement but not yet full movement.

You will probably be sore for a day or so more, but then it should dissipate. The next time you do the workout you may feel the same “pain”, or “pain” to a lesser quality. It should continue to alleviate itself over time.

I am going through some of the same issues after having my clavicle repaired. I fractured it Feb. 2004, had it surgically repaired in July. 2004, and got the OK to begin lifting in Dec. 2004. I had a lot of discomfort, dull pulling muscle cramping sensation, with lat pull downs, military press, incline bench, and flat bench when I started. Slowly my shoulder feels better and I am making progress. I still feel something like a pull or stretch when I go heavy on flat bench or I try to do pull/chin ups, but it only shows up on heavy night. Each heavy night I feel it less and less. Sometimes it will ache for an hour or so afterwards, but it’s nothing compared to the fracture. It will not stop me from my goals.

I believe what you are feeling will go away a little each time. If it doesn’t, as all medical people have to say due to lawyers and people without common sense, seek medical care. If the surgeon you saw gives you the run-a-round like a politician again seek a second opinion.

Remember the surgeon is there to assist you, you are not there to be blessed with a surgeon’s presence.

Yea,thats what I meant.

Thanks Chewman and Bodhistiva (sp?). Strange thing was, this morning no ab muscle soreness at all. My shoulders and arms were muscle sore from the new program with heavier weight. My abs have always been a strong point for me. I’m thinking I’ll throw more weight at them and see what happens tomorrow. Glad to hear adhesions are something that can be overcome. Now to say bye bye to that post surgical ponch…shudder shudder shake.