Strange Happenings with Low-Carb

I know there are a fair number of “symptoms” associated with low carb diets, and some of them are pretty damn strange so I wonder if anyone has experienced or can explain them. Some of the ones I’ve experienced in my past month or so of low carb include…

I noticed that I’m having a lot of trouble falling asleep, yet I wake up fine and can usually function with just 4-5hrs of sleep despite knowing that it’s shit for recovery.

Another thing that I’ve noticed is that I feel colder than usual (yea I know it’s winter, but it’s colder than usual) Along the same lines, I have this cold feeling towards the back of my throat/roof of my mouth quite frequently at random times. My heart beat has seemed to slow down considerably - my resting HR is now about 55-60.

Also, I pee a lot more than usual.

Im get trace carbs Mon-Fri & notice i sweat after eating alot more when im re-feeding.

Peeing more than is completely normal, there fewer carbs to hold the same amount & its gotta go somewhere… out!

My affect overall is improved when I watch the carbs. I get more done in the day and generally just feel more positive.

Only negative is if I forget to increase my carbs a bit on cardio days I find my endurance suffers.

When ever I’ve low carbed, I’ve had lots of trouble falling asleep. That would probably be my largest complaint. I also spend half the day pissing out ketones and excess water. Its annoying, but part of the package. I’ve never felt cold, but if your body temperature drops it can be due to a drop in metabolism (which obviously isn’t good).

[quote]sjfou wrote:
Im get trace carbs Mon-Fri & notice i sweat after eating alot more when im re-feeding.

Peeing more than is completely normal, there fewer carbs to hold the same amount & its gotta go somewhere… out![/quote]

Oh yes, that too. I sweat a lot and heart rate goes up with refeeds.

I got the cold feeling in the back of my throat after eating. And no, it wasn’t brain freeze…

I’ve been giving this approach a shot for the past 2 months now instead of a balanced macro-nutrient ratio, and I’ve noticed almost no side-effects aside from excess urinating.

No magic, just physiology.

Carb ingestion releases serotonin, which is a feel good hormone. Serotonin is also strongly related to circadian sleeping patterns. Obviously, If you are producing less Serotonin, your sleeping patterns tend to become more irregular. If you supplement with 5-HTP (a precursor) you might be okay.

The drop in temperature is associated with metabolic slowdown during periods of starvation. You’re internal furnace is cranked lower to decrease the amount of calories you are expending.

Carbs also retain water within the body, so low carbing with also make you retain less h20.

Magic!