T Nation

Strange Front Squat Problem

This is pretty stupid, but I’m going to ask anyway. Whenever I do front squats, I end up with bruised shoulders. The weight is light (45-55 pounds) and I think my form is good. Am I the only one that has this problem? Is there something wrong with my form or is it just becoause i have pathetic boney shoulders?

Do you normally bruise easily?

maybe wrap a towel around the bar where its hitting your shoulders.

this happens to me, too. I just ignore it; the bruises are normally healed before my next front squat day, and that’s all that really matters to me.

This used to happen to me when I first started doing front squats regularly. Eventually, I stopped bruising despite using more weight. Give it some time and I think you’ll notice it won’t happen anymore or at least not as bad as it is now.

I do still get a little redness from the knurling on the bar from time to time, but again, that’s usually only after putting more weight on the bar. After a few weeks that amount of weight doesn’t cause the redness.

Do you front squat with a clean grip or bodybuilding style?

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
[/quote]

You beat me to it.

To the OP I used to use a bodybuilding (crossed arm) style and although I didn’t bruise it did used to hurt my shoulders. Once I switched to the olympic style (bar resting on palms and upper pecs) the pain was gone, I suspect that you might be using the bodybuilding style so a switch may be in order.

[quote]IQ wrote:
AngryVader wrote:

You beat me to it.

To the OP I used to use a bodybuilding (crossed arm) style and although I didn’t bruise it did used to hurt my shoulders. Once I switched to the olympic style (bar resting on palms and upper pecs) the pain was gone, I suspect that you might be using the bodybuilding style so a switch may be in order.[/quote]

That’s funny cause I actually noticed the opposite. I used to use the olympic style and then eventually switched back to the bodybuilding style. It just seems to rack better on my shoulders and upper pecs when I do it that way. It’s more comfortable for me, but I do think that’s why I get the redness on my shoulders as the bar tends to move a little more when using the bodybuilding style.

To the OP, we are all built a little different, so I’d say try both and see which feels better for you.

I get that, too. I used to hold the bar on the indent between my delt and bi/tri, but now I hold it up higher on top of the shoulder itself. There’s a notch that forms when my arms are raised. I cross my arms just above my wrists.

The discomfort and bruising is less with the newer position, but it’s still there to a certain degree.

Sorry if I wasn’t clear the first time. I normally use a clean grip. I tried them with my arms crossed once but it felt pretty awkward. When using the clean grip, exactly how close to the neck should the bar be? When you say upper pec, do you mean the collarbone/neck area or lower? I thought the bar should be kept pretty close to the neck, but maybe I’m wrong and that may explain the bruising problem.

Epimetheus…I do typically ignore the pain as well, but this last time I got some pretty bad bruises. It’s actually a little uncomfortable to carry my purse on my shoulder.

I’ll try to switch up the grip and see what works better. And if all else fails, I guess I’ll just have to be patient and deal with the bruises. Maybe they will make me look more badass (haha)

thanks guys!
buckeye girl

[quote]buckeye girl wrote:
When using the clean grip, exactly how close to the neck should the bar be?[/quote]

Almost choking you.

No, you are correct, but then everybody’s shoulders are different. In general, if they are small, then the bar will tend to rest on your collarbone. If they are larger, then the bar may be high enough to not touch the collarbone.

I have soft, velvety, peachy skin and would like to do skin lotion commercials for TV, but that’s beside the point. The point is that I also bruise easily when doing front squats. For the first few weeks when I started doing them I also had a dull pain in my collarbone, and sometimes in my shoulders. Eventually they all went away, even though I was using more weight.

But I still bruise, and my wife wonders what I get up to at the gym…

[quote]Miserere wrote:

Almost choking you[/quote]

Thats what I thought. The bar is normally pressed lightly against my neck.

well in that case, do you have any skin care suggestions? mine gets a little dry from time to time :slight_smile:

On a related note, for a while I was front squatting two to three times per week and not only did I bruise, I developed some sweet calluses on my shoulders.

[quote]conorh wrote:
On a related note, for a while I was front squatting two to three times per week and not only did I bruise, I developed some sweet calluses on my shoulders.[/quote]

Yeah, I’ve noticed that the skin on my shoulders where the bar presses in has gotten a little tougher or rougher over the years. Just another mark of hard training I guess. :slight_smile:

[quote]buckeye girl wrote:
well in that case, do you have any skin care suggestions? mine gets a little dry from time to time :)[/quote]

Ha ha ha, that’s the million dollar question my wife has been trying to figure out for years :slight_smile:

She swears it has to be the fish oils I take. She’s not very consistent with them, but during times that she has taken them regularly, she’s told me her skin didn’t dry up as much.

So if I could offer you one piece of advice it would be this: Take your fish oil caps.

[quote]Miserere wrote:
buckeye girl wrote:
well in that case, do you have any skin care suggestions? mine gets a little dry from time to time :slight_smile:

Ha ha ha, that’s the million dollar question my wife has been trying to figure out for years :slight_smile:

She swears it has to be the fish oils I take. She’s not very consistent with them, but during times that she has taken them regularly, she’s told me her skin didn’t dry up as much.

So if I could offer you one piece of advice it would be this: Take your fish oil caps.[/quote]

That’s funny you suggested fish oil caps. I finally bought some and I just took a couple about five minutes ago. Baby soft skin here I come!