Strange Creatine Side Effects?

a kid in my dorm who takes creatine always tells me that after he takes it he always get really angry and aggressive and me and another kid who have been taking it for years don’t believe him. I was jsut wondering if anyone else gets angry after taking creatine 'cause i had never heard of that happening

It’s actually a very odd thing that supplements, pretty much no matter what they are, don’t have more claimed odd non-actual side effects than they do, given that in pretty much every study of pharmaceutical drugs, the placebo groups have pretty substantial rates of all sorts of side effects that were not physically caused.

Perhaps the difference is that in those studies the people think they may be taking a drug whereas with supplements they are not, so this changes their rate of psychosomatic side effects? I don’t know. But anyway if anything it seems odd that more psychosomatic side effects aren’t claimed for supplements than is the case, which is quite low, rather than strange that it’s ever believed or claimed.

I would attribute this person’s belief that creatine has this effect on him to that sort of thing rather than to anything with actual physical basis.

since you have already called BS on your buddy, I’ll pile on too.

Sounds to me like he’s under the notion that Creatine is a steroid, or wants to believe he’s baaaaad, taking steroids, ergo, he has psyched himself into a pseudo “roid rage”.

[quote]squeezer wrote:
since you have already called BS on your buddy, I’ll pile on too.

Sounds to me like he’s under the notion that Creatine is a steroid, or wants to believe he’s baaaaad, taking steroids, ergo, he has psyched himself into a pseudo “roid rage”. [/quote]

Yes, I think he thinks it is steroids and will therefore give him roid rage. The mind is a powerful thing. He’s taking a steriod placebo.

I grew a 6th toe…

I call bullshit too, this is like that kids who tell me “man i took some creatine and i blew up 20 pounds”

I shit lighting bolts for the first two weeks, but then they stopped…

I guess I need to cycle.

[quote]fightingtiger wrote:
I shit lighting bolts for the first two weeks, but then they stopped…

I guess I need to cycle.[/quote]

This reminds me of a serious side affect, for me at least. I get terrible diarrhea from to large a dose. I don’t know where my limit is, but it’s somewhere around the recommended 5g. Now I just split it up into two 2-3g servings taken far apart in the day. I seem to be able to tolerate this.

[quote]
This reminds me of a serious side affect, for me at least. I get terrible diarrhea from to large a dose. I don’t know where my limit is, but it’s somewhere around the recommended 5g. Now I just split it up into two 2-3g servings taken far apart in the day. I seem to be able to tolerate this.[/quote]

That’s actually a common side effect of taking creatine, but mosty people can handle 5g without a problem. Supposedly micronized creatine is easier on the stomach, so if you’re not using that you might want to give it a shot.

As for the main point, I’ll add to the bullshit calling on the faux-roid rage. But I think that a lot of people will go pretty far to believe their getting the effect they think they should have with any supplement.

[quote]Mike18 wrote:
a kid in my dorm who takes creatine always tells me that after he takes it he always get really angry and aggressive and me and another kid who have been taking it for years don’t believe him. I was jsut wondering if anyone else gets angry after taking creatine 'cause i had never heard of that happening[/quote]

Your friend is an idiot. He is probably the type that is always making up stories that after a while no one believes.

Damn, Bill Roberts beat me to it. It’s psychosomatic.

I’ve actually noticed the agression effect. I wouldn’t say its psychological, but more related to the creatine increasing blood pressure by removing water from your system. For me it was more of a rush within an hour of taking it, similar to being pumped up for a game.

Also, on the whole roid rage issue my personal belief is that individuals that are psychogically prone to that behavior will exibit it when they get any size. Kind of like lashing out once they feel tough or something.

To me this is somewhat a paradox because I found that once I started seriously exercising and put some muscle on I I could care less about a lot of things that perviously pissed me off.

I guess with everything your personal mileage may vary.

[quote]razor1208 wrote:
I’ve actually noticed the agression effect. I wouldn’t say its psychological, but more related to the creatine increasing blood pressure by removing water from your system. For me it was more of a rush within an hour of taking it, similar to being pumped up for a game. [/quote]

Mr. razor, what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

[quote]razor1208 wrote:
I’ve actually noticed the agression effect. I wouldn’t say its psychological, but more related to the creatine increasing blood pressure by removing water from your system. For me it was more of a rush within an hour of taking it, similar to being pumped up for a game. [/quote]

You got a “rush” from creatine? Lol.

The only slightly negative side effect (for me) is that it just makes me piss more often.

I’ve never heard of any problems with increased agression due to it, nor do I suffer any.

[quote]JMac10 wrote:
razor1208 wrote:
I’ve actually noticed the agression effect. I wouldn’t say its psychological, but more related to the creatine increasing blood pressure by removing water from your system. For me it was more of a rush within an hour of taking it, similar to being pumped up for a game.

Mr. razor, what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.[/quote]

Glad to see you can come up with your own jokes, real funny. But you should look up the medical info on its effect on blood pressure. Maybe if you could read you would understand what I said.

I noticed I would feel more aggressive/energetic when I took creatine - and no, I wasn’t under some kind of impression I was taking steriods. I actually stopped supplementing with creatine because I was noticing I was feeling irritated and angry when I took it.

I was a little 115# 19 year old girl when I tried it, so I had no delusions of being massively powerfull or going on a ‘roid rage.’

I have been thinking of trying it again, to see how it feels this time around.

I just finished reading a few articles about creatine’s effects on BP. None of what I read was backed by any clinical studies. While I believe it is possible that it may raise BP, I suspect that this is a very individual side effect.

I do highly doubt your physiological reasoning for the rise in BP. There is no way that reducing the circulating volume will raise BP.

There is also no connection between high blood pressure and aggressiveness/competitiveness.

I highly doubt there is a connection between creatine and aggressiveness other than a psychological one. I am not saying its impossible, but from what I have read its not physiologically possible and I have had no personal experience that would lead me to believe otherwise.

Sean

[quote]razor1208 wrote:
JMac10 wrote:
razor1208 wrote:

Mr. razor, what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Glad to see you can come up with your own jokes, real funny. But you should look up the medical info on its effect on blood pressure. Maybe if you could read you would understand what I said.
[/quote]

[quote]Mike18 wrote:
a kid in my dorm … always tells me [/quote]

This waves the bullshit flag.
You’d get more reliable info from Men’s Health or Muscle and Fiction

jp_dubya i wasn’t actually taking his advice i’ve been taking creatine for years and have never had this agression side effect that he’s always talking about. He just always says “guys i’m gonna go take creatine so don’t talk to me for like the next hour or i might flip” and i just wanted other peoples opinion on this, i kinda assumed he was full of shit but just want to check and make sure