Strained Muscle Near the Scapula

Looking for some advice about a strain I have

This strain causes me issues on the deadlift (and by extension, deadlift variations such as RDLs, stiff legged, etc). It also hurts to low bar squat.

I get an intense pain on side of the spine, on top of the scapula. My massage therapist’s guess is that it is my serratus posterior superior, or trap insertion. Deep tissue massages didn’t help much. If I look at anatomy charts, it’s right where the rhomboid is.

Long story short I can do mostly every exercise except deadlift. I can do heavy ass rows and any upper back exercise you can think of.
If I try to deadlift even 50%, I get intense pain right in the scapula region

Any ideas what muscles this could be?

I’m going to try a chiropractor or physical therapist next, which one should I try first?

Is it a costovertebral or zygapophyseal joint?

If its a strain it will hurt with stretching or contraction of the rhomboid. Since it hurts with weight bearing and feels deep, I am thinking z-joint.

[quote]dzmendon wrote:
Is it a costovertebral or zygapophyseal joint?

If its a strain it will hurt with stretching or contraction of the rhomboid. Since it hurts with weight bearing and feels deep, I am thinking z-joint.[/quote]

I don’t know what most of what you said means, but yes, I only get pain during weight-bearing. Do you have advice for rehab?

I had this exact problem. It started about 3 months after I started deadlifting for the first time ever. I took one month off deadlifts and did lots of reverse flies and pushups. keeping the scapulae mobile during pushups seemed to help the most, its hard to explain. doing reverse flies seemed to tighten the problematic area during the set, but pushups improved the problem during the sets. Not an expert, this is just my experience

It is difficult to rehab on your own, but a good foam rolling and thoracic mobility regimen should loosen up the z-joints, followed by thoracic stability to make sure they dont get stuck or out of place again.