Straight Razor

I was wondering if anyone else used a straight razor or collected them (as I have found out is a hobby)?

My problem is I don’t like wasting stuff or throwing away something that isn’t trashed. But I just hate how a semi-sharp razor still pulls my hair.

Anyone use one (or seven)?

[quote]Chris Adams wrote:
I was wondering if anyone else used a straight razor or collected them (as I have found out is a hobby)?

My problem is I don’t like wasting stuff or throwing away something that isn’t trashed. But I just hate how a semi-sharp razor still pulls my hair.

Anyone use one (or seven)?[/quote]

I’m sure if you really couldn’t bear to part with them you could find a sharpening kit.

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:

I’m sure if you really couldn’t bear to part with them you could find a sharpening kit.[/quote]

Well I wasn’t actually talking about the straight razors I was talking about the disposable ones that I use now.

I was wondering if anyone use any (straight razor) here.

I have used it for a little while, until my roomate stole it. I bought a Dovo razor from knifecenter.com, they claimed that it was factory sharpened and ready to use. I find it hard to believe, since the razor wasn’t that sharp. The strange thing, though, is that I got less cuts shaving with a straight than with disposables. It is a big investement, though, coz you will need a razor + wetstone + strops + shaving brush. It will definetly pay off in a year or so, considering how much money people spend on all those disposable cartidges.

Your best option is probably buying an old razor from flea market/antique shop, etc, have it honed by a local barber (classicshaving.com offers the service as well), and try it for yourself. this way, if you don’t like it, you won’t end up spending too much money on it. I’ve read somewhere that in old times, barbers used to practice shaving balloons before being allowed to shave people, you probably could get some practive this way as well:))

some of the resources that you can check out:

http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/sharpen/instrazor.html
http://www.gentlemans-shop.com/acatalog/perfect_shave.html

search google, google groups, etc before committing. Another option is to buy one of those straight razors that use disposable double-edge blades ( you snap them in half), dovo makes one called “shavette”, ebay has them too.