T Nation

Straight Legged Good Mornings

in the gym i have at school, i have a lack of great equipment, and i’m forced to do stuff in the smith machine.

the smith machine i use doesn’t have the range of motion for a dead lift, so in it’s place i substitute straight legged good mornings, and i think the substitution is fine i really like the exercise.

i was wondering what kind of numbers i should get compared to my front squat?
and in the context of http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1290832
the strength benchmarks thread, how should the benchmarks change substituting the good mornings for dead lifts.

thanks

No telling and doing GM’s on the smith even less telling the carry over wont be near the same.

No damn way you’d even get me to GM on such a contraption. Like any move on it your limited by its range of motion the GM in and of itself is going to want to naturally move in and arch as you go down well you can do that your leaning o the machine etc.

Get into a real gym

Phill

[quote]in progress wrote:
in the gym i have at school, i have a lack of great equipment, and i’m forced to do stuff in the smith machine.

the smith machine i use doesn’t have the range of motion for a dead lift, so in it’s place i substitute straight legged good mornings, and i think the substitution is fine i really like the exercise.

i was wondering what kind of numbers i should get compared to my front squat?
and in the context of http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1290832
the strength benchmarks thread, how should the benchmarks change substituting the good mornings for dead lifts.

thanks[/quote]

yeah you’ve got to be kidding here.

What is it they do have aside from the Smith machine? It must use plates. They have no bars? What about dumbells? If it’s this sparse I’d find somewhere else if at all possible. Good mornings on a SM sounds like an injury waiting to happen.

Do you mean straight legged deadlifts? I don’t even see how you could do a good morning in a Smith machine.

Yeah, buy yourself a weight set a use it at home in your basement or garage or something.

WTF ? ? ?

What equipment do you need to do a deadlift?

They have a bar don’t they? And some weights?
And a floor. I assume they have a floor.

Just pick up the weight.

i don’t see how it’s not possible? and weight is weight.

although, you guys are right. i’ll try to find another gym.

regardless, i’m still wondering what the ratio between squat/ good morning should be.

should it be equal poundage?

… there are no barbells in this gym…

the dumbells only go up to 50 …

yes there are plates to put onto the smith machine

[quote]in progress wrote:
… there are no barbells in this gym…

the dumbells only go up to 50 …

yes there are plates to put onto the smith machine[/quote]

5O pounds??? I’m hoping kilo’s.

Anyway, I’m thinking hyper extensions. Even with 50 pound db’s you can work your lower back with hyperextensions since the weight of your upper body is used more.

And yes, you DO need to find a real gym.

In the deadlift, you try to keep the weight as close as possible to your legs.
In the goodmorning, this won’t be possible. So you have to compare the moment, moment being the weight multiplied by the distance between the centre of gravity of the weight and your hips.

Since the distance is much more for the goodmornings, the weight should be much lower. I’m thinking one third up to half the weight of a deadlift.