Straight Legged DL Critique

Hello I have been weight lifting on and off for a few years, somewhere around 4 but I am coming back from a lumbar disk injury and I feel fully recovered. I took a year off to do things and correct my deficiencies, I will be go back to my chiropractor soon since he is a weight lifter and could better coach me on my DL form. I played around with kettle bells for 3 months and really learned the hip hinge and how to deadlift using the hinge, which i guess with a bar bell can best be described as a straight legged deadlift.

Much like the kettle bell, I start by pushing from my heels and the I complete the hinge movement. I have really seen SLDL benefit my lower back as I don’t get sciatica from this version, if I try to arch down and put my torso at a 45 degree I’ll often hyper extend me back and get sciatic but with this form I don’t experience any pain. This video is from a few days ago or last week, I am currently deadlifting 175lbs as of today.

I thought you wanted a critique of a stiff-legged deadlift? this looks more like you’re just picking the weight up with your back, or a conventional dead without the leg drive.

this is a SLDL with an acceptable amount of knee bend:

OP, form looks good. Just get those shoulders back at lockout (kind of like shrugging backwards). Good hip hinge. Good knee bend. Good lower back arch. But that’s a stiff legged deadlift, not straight.

Good on ya for not letting a back injury get you down.

[quote]fr0IVIan wrote:
I thought you wanted a critique of a stiff-legged deadlift? this looks more like you’re just picking the weight up with your back, or a conventional dead without the leg drive.

this is a SLDL with an acceptable amount of knee bend:

The OP has more knee bend

[quote]Multiple Moods wrote:
The OP has more knee bend[/quote]

Exactly.